1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Peters Blue Magic?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kene, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kene

kene TS Member

I found several hundred once fired Peters "Blue Magic" hulls during a garage clean out this past week but have not been able to find any load data for them. My powders of choice are Clays and E3 with CB1100 1 oz wads. Looking for a 1180-1200 fps 1 oz load preferably using those components. Are loads for Blue Magic essentially the same are for STS-style hulls? Where can I find "official" tested load data?? checked Hodgdon and Alliant websites and my new load books -- found nothing.

thanks

kene

2. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Lyman shotshell handbook, 3rd edition and 4th edition has quite a lot of loading data for the blue magic hulls.

3. kene

kene TS Member

thanks OldRemFan -- I knew I should not have tossed those books during a clean-up binge several years ago -- ran out of room in the gun book case -- do you know if they are on-line somewhere??

kene

4. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Yes, same as STS.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Kene, never take hearsay advice from anyone without data from the powder company to back it up. Just common sense. Send a E-mail or call a powder Tech. from Hodgdon and/or Alliant and tell them the exact 3 components you would like to use with that hull, and wait for their answer. It very well may be the same as a STS but varify before loading any!!! Best of Luck and break em all Jeff

6. extrapper84

extrapper84 Member

I just shot my 1st 25 straight in 30 yrs.today. Just started reloading again
    and this was my 8th. round of trap.
    Shell were Rem. RXP & Peters "blue-magic" load was 16.5 E3, CB 1100-12 wads and
    1oz. reclamed shot with Rem. sts 209P primers.
    I had forgotton how much FUN trap can be.
    Hal

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I believe the Peters Blue Magic and the Remington "opaque green" RTL/Premier hulls are the same construction... akin to the STS and Nitro hulls...

Jay

8. leadvail

leadvail Member

I inherited some 2000 also a few years ago and wrote Hodgdon and was informed to use STS data. Raises a few eyebrows when you leave them on the ground. Bob

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Jay is right. If you can find load data for the Premier, they are twins.

If you call Hodgdon, they'll tell you to load them with STS data, but stay below max.

No data is going to be available for Clays or e3, anyhow: they are newer powders than Blue Magic.

extrapper84's load sound pretty good, actually: mild and lethal.

Bob

10. leadvail

leadvail Member

Funny? Hodgdon didn't say anything to me about staying below max. How much and why? BTW,wrote em again, Bob

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Whenever they don't have data for a specific load you want - but it's a sensible, 'ought to work just fine' load - 'Use STS data but stay below max.' is Hodgdon's proforma line.

Alliant's is, 'Sounds ok, but you might back off a ½gn, just to make sure you don't get pressury.'

Occasionally they get a question they have not been asked abt last week, but not often, and then it is usually either Alcan or Herter wads, or 'I want to shoot an ounce of Bismuth, instead of 1¼oz, do I still use Universal, or go to Longshot?'

They are 'wiggles' but only slight ones, and sensible, I think.

Bob

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Nice hull. Not as good as the STS/Nitro hull because the plastic at the mouth is thicker. A lot of guys that loaded AA's ( the older one piece ) found that they had to deepen the crimp starter to prevent them from collapsing down further on the hulls' bodies.

Often, wads would have a tough time getting seated smoothly and they would seat with loud bang. Remington brand wads worked the best on my loader. Good luck.

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Still have a few Blue Magics & some Premiers too load them all the same,(as STS) with 700X or Red Dot, I do use a light 7\8 or 1oz. load @ about 1150 to 1180 fps. Ross Puls

14. brewmaster

brewmaster Member

Shot many of them years ago. They will shoot off and stick in the barrel and can be difficult to remove. This has been on here before and some will say that they do not shoot off above the brass. That may be their experience, but I have had many shoot off and lodge in the barrel. Take it for what it is worth.

15. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Brewmaster is right..I had a 1/2" dowel sharpened just for the removal of the blown off cases. "Blue Tragics" was what they were nick named back then. Shot well but had a habit of blowing off the front 2/3 rds of the case every once in a while.
    That was the reason Remington quit the "Blues" and went back to Premier Greenies to overcome the bad reputation. They shoot fine but watch your barrels!

Big Jack

16. skeetshooter

skeetshooter TS Member

I have cases of Remington ALL AMERICAN And Peters Blue Magic ammo that I won back in the 70's. Shot skeet tournaments for years and the High all around prize many times would be several cases of this ammo. (Remington sponsored large tournaments back then) Still shoot a box or so on occasion. No longer shoot skeet, but sporting clays and trap (turkey shoots). Always loaded these cases just like any other Remington standard trap or skeet hull...
    Only problem I have found, one or two shells in the factory boxes will be split down the sides. Broke many 100's with this ammo.

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Just don't use them with 700x and Federal 209's. You will blow them apart with the front half parked somewhere in you barrel. Been there and done that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can i use rtl load data for the blue magic

can i use the same load data for peters blue magic as the rtl hulls

peters blue magic shell holders

rtl hull 1oz reloading data