1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pete Peterson, Texas Shooter Passed Away

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Texshooter, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I was notified this afternoon that longtime Texas shooter Pete Peterson had died during the night. He was the prior owner of the South Plains Gun Club and had been the Texas Vet Trap Champion at one time. He was known for his generous support of youth shooting. AJ

2. Steinkruger

Steinkruger TS Member

He was a really great guy. He donated belt buckles to a 4H shoot that I shot at this summer. May he rest in peace

3. wanderer

wanderer Member

How old was Pete? G.E.G.

4. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

Pete was 92. He was the owner of the South Plains Gun Club up until he sold it 2 or 3 or so years ago. The club was originally a Winchester built and owned shooting facility as they had quite a few of these facilities scattered across the country. An excellent idea to provide exposure of their shotguns and ammo to the public.

Winchester's liability exposure was just too great for their bean counters to accept so they began closing these facilities. About 1966, six locals put up $25 each to purchase the equipment (trap and skeet machines) from Winchester who then signed over the clubhouse and all other facilities to the group to operate. Over time, Pete became the sole owner and he purchased the surrounding land the club facility was located on.

Pete's only concern was to make sure there was a place to shoot at Lubbock. Be assured, anyone not making an effort to continue to keep this club open will have to answer to Pete when they next meet up.

5. rustygun

rustygun Member

I was lucky enough to meet Pete several years ago, a really interesting fellow, and great supporter of the sport.
    I was under the impression that South Plains gun club had been closed,or just no registered targets anymore?

Steve

6. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I am out of town, has anyone heard the funeral plans? AJ

7. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Neal, I love the way you worded how many of us feel. Thanks Allen

8. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Great supporter of 4-H youth shooting sports in Lubbock. That man will be missed !!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.