1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pete George has left us.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Long time trap shooter Peter "Pete" George has left us. He died Thursday, December 18th of a massive heart attack. He retired from being an agent for Erie Insurance a number of years ago and spent much of his time involved in trap shooting.

Pete started his ATA career back in 1961 and has over 200,000 total registered targets. Anyone who ever had the pleasure of shooting with Pete always came away with a smile on their face. Pete was always willing to help the new shooter just starting out.

If you ever saw a couple of Pete's guns, you would think where did this guy ever get that gun? Some of them looked like the junk yard would have refused them but then, when he took it to the line, the magic in that gun came out for all to see.

For additional information on the arrangements, please check the url listed.

(Thanks to Ron Peters and Tom Bomba for passing the news on to me.)

2. zinger

zinger Member

I bet everyone has a funny "Pete George" story! He brought a new meaning to duct tape and trap guns. Sorry to hear of his passing.

3. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Only spoke to him once or twice, but saw him at many shoots in the ECTL and at local registered shoots, and witnessed his distraction routine more than once. ;-)

~Michael

4. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Yes, I knew pete and could tell many stories about him, he treated me very nicely, am soo sorry to hear of his passing, was called yesterday and told of his passing. Met Dorothy one time and is a very nice woman.

Trap-4

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Sending prayers to Dorothy and family for peace and good memories.

6. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

This fine Pa. Shooter was a past Penna. Doubles Champion, and Eastern Zone Handicap Champion. Also many, many other victories local, state and National at the Grand American. He had forgotten more about shooting Trap than I will ever know. It will take quite a while for me to get used to not seeing him at the shoots. I am sad................Uncle Sam, Pa.

7. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

I met Pete at the 1970 PA STATE Shoot when I was 15 years old. He was on a squad ahead of me for several events and I watched him pounding targets. I said hello to him and he was very nice to me. I saw Pete at many shoots over the years and he was always very pleasant to talk to. I can't remeber but i think i saw him at the Grand in Sparta last year. I always could tell it was him walking at a distance by his gait and those shooting caps he wore.

Sadly, another one from the "good old days" that will be missed.

Bob Gibson
    Charlotte, NC

8. Zoltan

Zoltan Member

I shot with Pete many times at Geneva and Monroe during the winter season and always enjoyed being on his squad. My favorite times have been watching him during the calcutta auctions trying to bid against himself for the shooter and giving the auctioneer fits.

I will miss you Pete.

Roger Edgington

9. monroesc

monroesc Member

Pete was a great guy with a huge heart and an endless wallet when it came to calcuttas. We will all miss him at Monroe Sportsman's Club. It's not everyday that a man will make a barrel weight for you and glue a dime at each end and a nickel in the middle so you have a perfect "25" on your gun. Rest in peace Pete!
    Sara Dean

10. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Pete was a one of a kind. Shot circles around most of the crowd at trap. Loved his grouse hunting. He was a skeet champion before turning to trap. Created more duct tape addittions to gun stocks then will ever be imagined. He once sent a Model 12 back for a rebuild and the company returned it saying "there was nothing left to rebuild" Actually wore it out. May he be in heaven for a week before the devil knows he's dead!

Big Jack

11. fiftystr8

fiftystr8 TS Member

Pete was definitely an unforgettable person and will be missed by many. He was always ready to help out any shooter who had a question and get the newcomer started on the right track.

Break 'em all Pete! You will be missed.

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Pete and I always had lengthy conversations at the bar in the Pine Barn Inn. I did sell him a K-80 barrel many years ago I think. Even asked me if I'd think about moving out to Western PA and work for him. Nothing bad to say about Pete and wish him luck in the other Trapshooting world!!

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Shot the Grand with Pete back in the early eighties. What a character. One very hot day during the tournament he pulled off an old white but dirty "slouch" hat. Along with it came a pretty bad toupe' which he wrang the sweat out of, flopped back on his dome and started shooting again.

We laughed 'til we cried. RIP Peter.

14. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

This is my story of how I remember Peter George. I first shot with Peter around 1975. I shot doubles next to him at an EZ shoot in the late 1980s at Cicero and I noticed that several times when he missed, his gun barrel would bob up and down. After we were done, I told him I thought the reason he was missing was because he was FLINCHING. Holy Shit! He got madder than hell at me and told me there was no way he was flinching. That was the first day of the shoot. On Sunday, the last day after handicap was over he came up to me and apologized for screaming at me and said he had been thinking about what I had said about flinching. He wanted my advice, and I ofered to loan him a spare set of Dbl releases for his mx-8 until we met a few weeks later at the "Grand". He took me up on the offer and and always looked forward to BSing with me at shoots. The first time I saw him at a restaurant without his hat, I almost didn't recognize him. Larry Evans

15. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

It was very sad for me when I saw this thread this morning. I have a Pete story as well. Last year Pete came to my shop for a new stock and when he come in he asked me to come and help him get the gun cases out of his truck. I opened the side door and there was a toupee laying on the seat. I had a dowel rod it my hand and stepped back and whacked the toupee. Pete looked at me, started laughing and asked what in the world was I doing. I told him that it moved and he just said throw it here and slapped it on his head like a hat and we started to work on his new stock. I will miss Pete, he made me laugh and he took his shooting very serious always asking for advise trying to gain an edge. God bless you Pete and my deepest sympathy to his family.

Dennis DeVault

16. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Barry brought it up but that was the first thing I thought about anytime anyone mentioned Pete's name.

PA State, late 70's or early 80's. We were on the squad next to Pete. When you started to go to the bigger shoots someone always pointed out the better shots and Pete was one of those guys you heard about.

We were on the next trap over and the wind was blowing pretty stiff. Yep, got a pretty good gust and the hat, a light blue one I think, and the "rug' went together. The first thing he did was yell for the guys on his squad not to shoot it. It looked like two or three of them were just getting ready when he stopped them.

Tom(AJ100)

17. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

The last time I talked to Pete, it was at the Tahitian Resort in Florida.
    We talked our way through a 40 of Crown Royal with Terry Jordan and his wife Nancy.

Pete will be sadly missed.Our deepest sympathy to Dorothy and family.

............Bill & Sheila........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.