1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peave

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I am surely not an authority on anything. However, my "pet peeve" is these people that want to own an over/under and then waste their money on these "war clubs" made in Turkey and Russia. I have tried without success to talk inexperienced shooters out of purchasing this junk. I am currently on a thread on Shotgun World that deals with this. You can't believe the people that feel paying $400 for a Turkish piece of crap is a good choice. Several friends of my son have purchased these clubs and have found that either they have problems with them and can't get parts, they can't find anyone to work on them and of course no respectable sport shop will consider taking them on a trade. Why would a person want to spend $400-$500 on these things; when if they wait awhile and save up $300-$400 more they can get a used Beretta or Browning?? OK. Now I've vented. Ed

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I know of one shooter who has had great success with one of those $400.00 guns. Of course he is very handy and built his own adjustable comb, and who knows what else he did to "hot rod" the gun and make it work. But he's an exception. He is in So-Cal and posts here now and then. I hope he sees this thread and enlightens us a bit. Fascinating "gunrodding" story..IF he tells all of his secrets.

(Amazing things happen; the OP was not ragged on for spelling "peeve" as "peave". But I'm only the third on this thread.)

CHARLIE???

3. EE

EE Banned User Banned

I'm with you Ed. Why not save up a few more dollars and buy a nice used Citori, or 686, etc.?

FWIW, though, I believe the Turkish guns are much better than the Russian ones. I don't think you can get those for 400 bucks.

EE

4. esoxhunter

Rick: I'm not talking about a 3 or 4 thousand dollar gun. I'm talking about saving a little more money and buying a Beretta or Browning over/under field gun. They sure as hell are a better purchase than a $400 piece of crap made in Russia. (Wasn't the Yugo made in Russia)? Oh well. Maybe I'm just wrong! Ed

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

It's part of human nature, and part of the learning curve of life. My first ever socket and ratchet set was a import piece of junk I got with Blue Chip stamps. My next was SK and made me half sick to spend that kind of money on that set, but I still have and use them today over 40 years later. I long ago learned the difference between cheap and good value, and others must learn it in their time in their way. Some simply never do.

6. esoxhunter

Yeh Rick I understand what you are saying. It just pi$$eS me off that individuals who haven't got a lot of dollars will go out and buy some piece of crap that will disappoint them in a short period of time. My first gun that I used for trap was my old Model 12 3 " magnum duck gun. (Should have kept it) :) I then traded that off for a Remington TC. Shot that gun very well. But you know I always admired the break open guns. A fellow trapshooter had a Midas grade Browning that I just loved. Couldn't afford one, but got a part time job and bought a Belgium Browning Lightning. Couldn't shoot it for $hit. Sold it and bought a Model 12 Pigeon. (Loved that gun)!! But as you can see; I was living from "paycheck to paycheck" at that time with a wife and 2 kids. But I never bought "junk". You can't recoup any money out of "junk". I guess what I'm saying; if a newer shooter wants an over/under; start out realistically. Buy a nice 870-1100. Save a few $$ and then get a Citori or a 686. (Sport shops will take trades on the 870 and/or the 1100). Then when you get the big promotion; we can consider a Krieghoff, Kolar or Perazzi. But in my opinion there is no sense in buying the Russian junk. See?? There I go again. ED

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    That's exactly why new shooters ought to start with a good, used 1100 (or 1187) trap gun. They're not spending all that much more.

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Most of us have been buying and selling guns all our Life . In doing so we have learned and now it,s there turn to learn . We know they don,t we can,t really tell them because they don,t know that they don,t know .

It,s part of the sport . How much money would we have saved if we had not done the same ?

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Gotta go with what Rick said above. A lot of people just don't know guns. They think a $500 gun is top notch.

My first gun that I purchased myself was a Remington 1100 years ago. I think I paid $200 for it brand new, I used it for hunting. Well next thing I know I join a gun club and start shooting 25 targets a week. When you start shooting 25 targets a week, you better start reloading LOL. So next thing I know I'm at a local gun shop buying reloading components. Once a month I would go to this gun shop and buy 100 primers and a pound of powder. Boy I thought I was a Big Dog. Being a regular I started looking through the gun racks. I came across a used single barrel gun in the rack and they wanted $375 for it. $375 for a single barrel???? What the f is going on? On closer inspection I couldn't even find a safety on the damn thing. Are these people nuts??? $375 for a gun that is a single shot, a useless gun that you can't even take crow hunting in the woods because it doesn't even have a safety??? Crazy.

How in the hell can a single barrel gun with no safety cost $375 used?? My 1100 was an automatic that you could put 5 shells in and it had a safety, and cost half that brand new.

Well anyway next week when I went to shoot my 25 targets at the club I told an old timer about it. I said - "those people at that store are crazy" and I went on to tell him about the gun with no safety. He said really? Go with me this Saturday and you can show me this gun. I took him to the store and - well anyway he convince me to purchase the single barrel with no safety. Turned out to be a BT99. How the hell was I to know that a single barrell with no safety could cost that much, and be a good deal.

My point in this whole thing is people just don't know. The guys buying the $500 over and unders are probably shooting Mossberg or Remington pumps that they purchased for a couple hundred dollars. They look at their pump guns that can shoot 5 or 6 shells with moving parts, and then they look at a $500 over and under that just hinges and can only shoot 2 shells. Well they think they are really buying quality, after all it cost twice as much as they gun they are shooting now.

10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

Here is how I learned about target shotguns......A very nice older gentleman at church organized a Saturday afternoon get together at a little single trap club near Oatsville, IN. This man had previously operated a gun shop in Princeton, IN and he still owned a pretty good inventory personal guns. He filled the racks with his own guns, set out a stack of his own reloads for all to use and we started throwing targets.

He encouraged us to help ourselves to the gun rack and I ended up with a BT-99 in my hands and I started breaking targets. I was having a ball! My winchester 1300 spent the afternoon in the case. As I remember, we might have paid for some targets that day but he wouldn't take a dime for the shells.

I will never forget the fun we had that day and the kindness shown by Howard Woods. Thank you, Woody!

11. esoxhunter

tumbleweed: I wish there were more "Howards" at our clubs. At my club I have a Grandfather who brings his Grandson out to the range every week. He explained that this was something they could do together and he even got him into the reloading process. The kid has potential but the Mossberg Camouflaged pump gun is a little "much" for a 12 year old. I tried to explain that the gun his grandson was using was too large and cumbersome for him. I recommended that he look at a Beretta 3901 or maybe a Bt-99 Micro. He said that "he will grow into it and likes the gun". To me this is not fair to the kid. His grandfather means well; I know. But he should understand that his grandson will become frustrated after a while and possibly quit shooting. I know this is "straying" from the original premise of this thread. However, this well meaning grandpa drives a Lexus SUV. ( Money is not a factor). I guess I just have a difficult time understanding peoples thoughts. We have shooters who can't afford their desires; but yet you have people who can afford to do the right thing and refuse to consider it. Oh well. I guess I'm just stupid. Like I originally stated, "Going cheap is my pet peeve".

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I can't imagine myself getting upset over what type of gun another person choses to buy.

Pat Ireland

13. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

A kid on my trap tram bought a new stoger o/u, right out of the box it wouldnt eject the spent shell, the parents sent it off, got it back a month later and it worked fine for about 500 shots, now it wont eject the shell again, plus it sometimes wont fire the bottom barrel, I have loaned him a auto-loader until it comes back again..??

14. Hunter1978

Hunter1978 Member

My pet peeve is people that worry about what gun others are shooting.

Hate to tell you I've seen more broken brownings then broken russian "junk" myself. They do lack fit and finish however and I'm not going to argue that they are not the best for the sport. I think a 1100 is a great starting gun. Any shotgun thats functional can break the birds and it is far more the shooter then the gun. I would rather a shooter that can't afford much of a gun get something cheap and start shooting rather then wait and save up. Even the cheap guns you can get most of your money back reselling privately.
    I'm not saying higher priced guns aren't worth it but those who call anything cheaper then what they are shooting "junk" annoy the hell out me. Get the best gun you can afford and that you like then get shooting! There is certinly no rule against upgrading latter on.

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I'm with Pat... I got enough to do looking after myself to bother with worrying about the inconsequential choices other people make!

MK

16. esoxhunter

I don't "worry" about what people buy. I stated it is a "pet peeve" of mine. If you look up peeve in the dictionary it states a peeve is an annoyance. (Yes I know, I initially misspelled the word in my thread title)! The same way it annoys me when people smoke next to me, when people vote for politicians like Obama, Pelosi, etc., and I could go on and on. I surely understand that many beginning shooters can't afford an expensive over/under. Most of us have been there. But it's their choice if they want to buy a Russian made over/under. (Which I feel is a very poor choice). They would be so much better off buying a used Remington 1100 or similar. It's just my opinion, (and that's all it is), that they are doing themselves a disservice. That being said, as I stated before; a man of means at our local club wants to enjoy shooting with his grandson. That is great!! However what "annoys" me is if he wants his grandson to enjoy the sport; buy him a gun that fits. To watch a young person struggle with a 3 1/2" magnum pump gun is disturbing. But then again that's just me. JMHO. Ed

17. willing

willing Member

I think you'll find some people who just can barely afford a $400 gun and a
    wally-world 4 pack of federals. IT's either that or nothing. When they really get the bug AND a little more cash they can move up. I have known several who have done just that AND have fun. I am very happy for them

Bill

18. Anti-Fed

Anti-Fed Member

"The same way it annoys me when people smoke next to me, when people vote for politicians like Obama, Pelosi, etc., and I could go on and on."

Now I have to throw my 2 cents in too. How can the gun somebody else chooses to shoot for whatever reason, cause the same level of consternation as voters who are apparently NOT knowledgeable of the Constitution and the principles addressed there, and the longterm effects of their poor choices at the voting booth? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Jed

19. esoxhunter

Jed: I didn't say it "causes me the same amount of consternation". I said it is an annoyance. A person letting a fart in a restaurant while I'm having breakfast annoys me. Does it annoy me as much as watching Al Sharpton on television? Of course not. Hey I retired from the prison system. I'm used to being annoyed in many ways. Now does it make sense? Being annoyed can be graded as a low level of annoyance to a severe level of annoyance.. Ed

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Ed,

Why should it bother you what gun someone else chooses to buy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.