1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Personal Sale in NYS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Clayshooter25, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clayshooter25

Clayshooter25 Member

Anyone know what is required to make a sale of a shotgun in NYS from one resident of NYS to another? Are the requirements different if shipped vs. sold face to face? Neither of us live in NYC.

Thanks for our help!

- - Michael

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

There are no requirements other than the buyer must be able to legally own the firearm.

You can ship the firearm (as long as its not a pistol) directly to the buyer.

3. JPSmall

JPSmall Member

Not so sure that I agree with the second part. Face to face transactions are no big deal and I have done several. However, I believe if you are shipping a long gun in NYS to a new owner it must be shipped to an FFL.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would hesitate to believe that in state transactions are different from one state to another re ATF.

You should be able to ship within your state between individuals without getting an FFL involved.

FTF of course is legal.

HM

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

There is one requirement to transfer a long gun in NYS. You must not have any doubt that the person is fit to own the gun.

JP

Rich is right. You can ship to another resident in NY.

Hold on I'll do better than snopes lol.

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

7. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

Notice this is not a NYS website. This is the ATF.

8. Clayshooter25

Clayshooter25 Member

To verify then, a transfer of a long gun between 2 non FFL individuals each being residents of the same state does not require an FFL (either for an in person or "mailed" exchange of the firearm"). I would assume it prudent to receive a copy of the purchasers drivers license to prove residency.

Sound about right?

Thanks,
    Michael

... and I appreciate the willingness to assist me here!!!

9. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Michael

I personally wouldn't want to see someones driver's license. I am all about CYA but I don't enforce laws that don't exist. If your mailing it to the same state address I would also consider that prudent enough for an in state transfer. One talk over the phone and you could resonably assume that the person isn't super crazy. If its a straw purchase it will happen FTF or through the mail regardless of what you do.

You can always sell it to someone you know... I have never sold a gun to a stranger.

Nick

10. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

NY is a large state so a bit of driving might be involved, but if it were me, I would make the transaction face to face using cash$$- NY is small enough that a half-way meeting would not be a hardship even if the seller lived in Buffalo and the buyer lived in Montauk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.