1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perscription shooting glasses - lense Color option

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Catching Chrome, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Ok so I am taking the plunge and going to buy some perscription shooting glasses. I pretty firm on post4s and am thinking about lense colors. I think I'm going with purple for sunny days because I use them now and like them. During the night I generally shoot clear lenses but was thinkng maybe I should try a color. Any suggestions?

2. Masterplan

Masterplan TS Member

I GOT THE RANGER PRESRIP. GLASSES WITH LIGHT PURPLE AND LIGHT YELLOW.
    I LIKE THEM
    BUT
    IF REALIZED THE WORST THING COUD HAPPEN WHEN SHOOTING A SCRE THE IF SOMETHING LIKE WATER OR DIRT OR ETC. GETS IN BETWEEN THE LENSES IM SCREWED......

( I ASSUMED YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT THE "DOUBLE" LENSE STYLE ? )
    OR ARE YOU ACTUALLY HAVING THE LENSES MADE INTO THE PRESCRIPTIONS?

3. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

in my neck of the woods, I have a medium purple for late spring/summer/early Fall when the vegetation in the background is still mostly green. I have a orange shade for low light conditions and a brown shade for the mid Fall to late Fall/winter/early spring seasons when there is no green leaf vegetation in the background.

I will regulate the orange shade to backup lens and just use the brown and purple since I feel both can cover my year round outdoor shooting.

4. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

No I am thinking about getting them made special. I shoot purple and clear now.

5. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

CC....Clear is always good for poor or good artificial lighting shooting white or all orange targets. Shooters look for the contrast between the target and background, making the target more aware. Creating a contrast during the daytime remains at the mercy of available light. There is no issue with contrast at night. If the sun is on the target we can color lenses to enhance the target color and darken background creating contrast. Without available sun light there is no way to enhance target color and using a dark lens color selection has the same effect on both the target and background. Again seeing clearly would be the advantage. Some colors tend to brighten the day for shooters. Our eyes tend see colors a little differently. That color preference can be yellow, gold, and orange in lighter tints. Also applies to artificial lighting.

We all tend to select lens colors based on sunny day, good light conditions. Thats the easy part. Leaving poor light conditions to seem like the only hard decision. At least for those that believe they can find some magic lens color that some how creates light on the target in poor conditions. The rest should select one color for low light, cloudy day, dusk or artificial light night shooting. Seeing clearly is the only true advantage. Eye sensitivity to light should be the decisiding factor.

Maltz

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I have RX medium purple for the daylight, and medium yellow for the low, and lighted conditions. I always liked Vermillion with a solid green backgroud in sunlight. Problem was if it entered the skyline into a cloudy background, the target would disappear.

7. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Wayne at Morgan optical suggested the orange (the light one) when I asked him what he would recommend if he had to pick one color. I took his recommendation and they are great for me, especially shooting under lights.

8. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Chrome,

I have been using post 4 glasses for three years. I use a very lightly gold tint for night shooting. I too like purple for those bright sunshine days. I have four different shaades of non-script lenses that I use and two pair of scipt lenses that I am so unhappy with that I do not wear them. My eyes are not that bad, and I am fortunate that I can wear non script lenses and still see the targets fine. I have gone to two different eye doctors and both of them gave me almost exactly the same script. I called Mike at Post 4 both times gave him the information over the phone. But like I said above, I do not use the script lenses because I am not please with what I got. I did just yesterday take the deep plunge and ordered a pair of the Pilla Panthers with three different shades of lenses. I will see what they are like when I receive them next week. Even though they cost $600.00. I was told to try them and if I find that I do not like them, If I return them in like new condition that they would refund all of my money.

Jim Bradbury

9. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

I have Rangers with clip-ons I use three colors most of the time and depending on the season,CMT in Bright Sun. Vermilion for orange targets and Purple for the absence of back ground id also like Brown for snow conditions maybe this fall Ill pick up a pair

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.