1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PerraziBigBore ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by REDD04, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

I have decided to try your recommended 7/8 oz. recipie for practice. I used 19.7 gr.Red dot instead of Promo (don't have a local source for Promo), Rem STS primer, Green Duster Wad, assorted tapered wall cases, and 7/8 oz #8 shot. According to the loading data on the wad mfg. the load should run aprox 1300 fps. I am shooting a Browning XT and have angleport chokes in .020, .025, .030, & .035 constriction. I would like your opinion on the following: 1. How far will this load reliably break targets? 2. What choke would you reccomend for 16, 23, & 27 yard targets. 3. Do you think that I need to change any components for the different yardages?

Thanks in advance,
    REDD04

2. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

Mike,

One more 7/8 oz. question. What has been your experience with pattern size & uniformity in regards to FPS using the lighter loads?

My experience with 1.125 oz loads is that pattern size increased with more FPS and more uniform patterns were obtained with slower FPS. Just wanting to know if you have experienced this in the 7/8 oz loads also.

Thanks,
    REDD04

3. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

If either of you guys need the Downrange XL Jammer wads, I have them in stock and ready to ship.
    $15.00/1000
    $70.00/unbroken case plus shipping

Matt Woodson - Woodson Enterprises
    (270) 804-5454

4. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Mike (PerazziBigBore) is correct. I have all the Downrange wads. If I don't have them in stock, I can get them for you. No problem! They are by far the best wad I have ever used. They are slick going into hull, and are super clean. Here is what I use: Jammer XL 1 ounce first shot of doubles and some 16 yard singles. Jammer 1 1/8 for some 16 yard shooting and 2nd shot on doubles. I use the XL 1 1/8 (blue 4 petal) for handicap. If anyone sees this and has questions, please email or call me. Also, you can always call Kevin. Mike is right! Kevin will make time for you! I do not know another guy that will tell you the information that he does. I will help you in anyway I possibly can. I can give you reloading recipes, and patterning results.

(270) 804-5454

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Piddy

That load should develop in the nieghborhood of 1300 fps. This is below Intl' load specs, and is a good shooting load.

These faster loads do not affect lead to the point where the average shooter can adjust for it.

Loads are more consistent when pressures are kept to at least 7000 psi. I prefer 9000 psi.

Bullseye is a good choice for these light loads. Ultra low speed, low weight, low pressure loads are going to be dirty. Another reason to keep pressures up.

Red Dot/Promo is a wonderful powder for 7/8 oz loads, from 1100 fps to 1350+.

6. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

Just patterned the above load but I had 18.6 grains of Red Dot (actual weight instead of bushing chart weight), 1 oz #8 Lawrence magnum shot, Rem 209 primer, Rem hulls, and a Green Duster wad. Accordint to the Alliant data, this load should be aprox 1250 fps.

40 yd patterns were very uniform and round with aprox a 30" diameter. There were hardly any flyers outside the 30" circle. The pattern percentages in the 30" circle appeared to be considerable higher that the percentages with 1.125 oz loads. Total pellets in the 30" circle were less than those with 1.125 oz loads but not as much as I would have expected with 22% less shot than the 1.125 oz loads. I'm not much into countin pellets and giving pattern percentages. I prefer to pattern for POI and uniformity and let the clays tell me the rest of the story.

Patterns were shot with a Browning XT and .030" Angleport tube. This choke/load combo shoud be good to at least the 22-23 yd line. I will know for sure after Thurs. night at the range.

Mike, Matt, Shooting Coach................thanks for the advise.

REDD04

7. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

I am with Mike on the 1 ounce. I have never believed in shooting 1 ounce through the 12 gauge. I thought why shoot 1 ounce when I can shoot 1 1/8 ounce. Well, my results are in! I shot 1 ounce loads in competetion this weekend. When I hit the target, it crushed. Yes, I believe you can shoot them in Handicap!

REDD04,
    If you have any more questions about Downrange products are load data feel free to call or email. I will take time to make sure you get the quality you deserve!

(270) 804-5454

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

REDD04,

I have changed my screen name. It was sglfr45, but is now WoodsonEnt. Again, if you need anything please email or call.

(270) 804-5454

9. Ceil

Ceil Member

Question for Mike or Matt.
    I have some DR XL Jammers, but the pedals are bent enough that one out of 10 or so have pedals get caught under the wad seating rod and then don't spring back enough to keep the shot inside the cup. I use a P/W 900 press. I tried putting the wads in a pillow case and running them in the dryer, but it did not seem to straighten the pedals much. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Ceil

10. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Ceil,

You have run into a very common problem. This is one reason that some people hate the Windjammer style wad. It is aggravating none the least! I have never used a P/W 900 press, so I am not familiar with how wad seating works. (I will try to find a pic of one so I can look). I use a MEC hydraulic. If I use this wad a petals are bent, I do this. While bored or watching tv (I really don't have a life, LOL) I take the bent wads and do this. I take the petals that are bent in, and fold them completely back. Sort of like making a upside down U with the pedal. It should straighten it out, where it will not hang. That has always worked for me. If you need a picture to see, email or call me, I can email one. If the petal still goes bent inward, I am unsure of what to do. Maybe Mike knows something that I don't. Also, when loading these wads, do not use any wad pressure. These wads do not rebound between shot cup and powder cup.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    (270) 804-5454

11. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

What are the pros/cons of 4 petal vs. 8 petal wads? I patterned my 7/8 load with Windjammers (8 petal)and Green Dusters (4 petal) and didn't see any significant difference at 40 yds. Your experiences????????

Matt, I'll be giving you a call when my current wad supply needs restocking. I need to settle on a load and then stock up. I've been getting the windjammers for a very good price and they seem to work as well as more expensive wads that I have tried. JMHO as I'm still learning.

Thanks,
    REDD04

12. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I've overcome the "bent petals" by placing the wad on the shot tube rather then in the guide. Let the machine push them into the shell and the shot falls to fill them before the tube retracts out. Been doing this for years and haven't pinched a finger with the hydro mec & the best part, no folded fingers in the shells. Works for me.

Big Jack

13. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

REDD04,

When you get deep into patterning you will see the difference. I use the term "deep" meaning how serious. Shooting from a good rest, chronographing loads, measuring actual distance with rangefinder, measuring actual choke in thousandths, wind. All of this plays a major part in pattern performance. Some of it is overkill, some is not. 8 petal opens up faster. I would say that the 8 petal 1 1/8 ounce wad has won its fair share of 16 yard Championships. I doubt it has ever won a Handicap from the 27. Yes, it will break a target from there, but when patterned at that distance this is better. Please give me a call when you run out of wads, I would enjoy talking with you!

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    (270) 804-5454

14. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

Thanks for the info! Great post! I'll try to round up a few Versalite wads to try at long yardage. Will Red Dot be suitable for this or will I need to go to a slower powder like Green Dot? (I want to stay with Alliant Powder as I have used it successfully for 25+ years..primarily handgun cartridges).

This long range shotshell loading is new to me and I'm still learning.

Thanks,
    REDD04

15. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

REDD04,

For shooting 7/8 and 1 ounce, I would use Red Dot or Promo. For 1 1/8 ounce, I would use Green Dot.

Matt

16. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

Mike,

Top of the mornin' to you from TN. (in response to your other thread)

Everyone,

Thought I would report on my results of my 18.6 Gr Red Dot, Green Duster, Rem 209, & 7/8 OZ of #8 at aprox 1250 fps. THIS IS A TERRIFIC 16 YD PRACTICE LOAD!! I used it in my XT with .025 Angleport choke and it SMOKEBALLED properly centered targets. I shot the same score as my average with 1.125 oz loads. The pattern is smaller than the 1.125 oz loads but I think this is good for 16 yd. practice.

Good FPS, economical, low recoil, fairly clean, and very hard hitting.... what's not to like?

Next time out I'm going to back up and see how this load & choke will work at the 20 yd. line. I believe that it will work fine from there. If not, I'll try the .030 choke.

REDD04

17. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

Mike,

What shot size and FPS are you using for the 24 gram parking lot loads? I am assuming you are using a Versalite and Herco or Unique as per your above post.

REDD04

18. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Mike,

You have my curiousity up! What does 19.6 grains of Promo and 7/8 push in FPS! I am going to try this, and reccomend to my customers! I forgot, what Downrange wad? Is it the 7/8 XXL wad?

Your friend, Matt

19. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Mike, You are so funny. Can't stop tinkering, can you? Aren't you the guy who posted that he set his press for one load and stuck with it? Best, Jake

20. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I have a couple of 28 3/8 barrels and for me they are just too light and fast for long term bunker use. I think they would be well suited for a field gun or a young teen ager's gun. I don't see any of them on the bunker field. As you know, the 29.5 is the standard and many are now going longer. Regards, Jake