1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Permatex Threadlocker Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jon Reitz, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Steve, try some clear nail polish. It works perfectly for guns screws, but will easily snap loose when a screwdriver or allen wrench is used. A small bottle will literally last a lifetime.

2. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Just went through a Loc-Tite training class here at work givrn by one of their teck's (sharp guy!). BLUE, primarily used to stop losening due to vibration, will break loose with not problems. DON"T use the RED, it is a locker and will probably require heat to remove. If you use the blue, do not over tighten the screws. The product adds to the torque strength to remove a bolt or screw by a small percentage. Be sure the threads are clean, no oils, and don't over apply. Put just enough around the circumference of the screw to fill about three threads. Will completely cure in 4 to 5 hours.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Blue and degrease/clean the threads first.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Blue........

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Listen to jim Dont over tighten the blue just snug. Scope base yes you can heat it rick

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

With small gun screws I have had problems even with the Blue Loc-Tite and I hate drilling out small screws. My first preference is a layer of Teflon tape usually used on threaded water connections. Next, is a small dab of latex caulk and my third choice is a bit of latex paint.

These things fill in the spaces between the threads and give a tight fit without a bond between the metals.

Red and Blue Loc-Tite can be removed with some heat but I usually damage the screw head before I figure out something very strong is holding in the screw. It does not take much force to damage a small gun screw.

Pat Ireland