1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Peripheral Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by CalvinMD, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

My mom and I both take Neurontin also called Gabapentin and yes it works well but really can leave you loopy if you have to use higher doses...I take 400mg twice daily..my mom takes 800 twice a day but shes diabetic with serious neuropathy in her feet....I had shingles that affected nerves in the back of my trunk going into my spine...without it the spasms are terrible
  2. bill kindred

bill kindred Active Member

I was prescribed neurontin and amytripaline (sp). one doesn't seem to work at all and the other knocks me out. I do without most of the time.
  3. Seitz Shooter

Seitz Shooter Member

Neurontin (Gabapentin) worked for me by reducing the pain, but it made me too drowsy during the day, so I stopped.

It's worth a try to see how you respond to it.

Adios, Dirk
  4. Reinz

Reinz Member

Nuerontin/gabapentin changed my life! or shall I say, Saved my Life!

It felt like red hot spikes were being driven through my palms. And the slightest touch to my elbows felt like a sledge hammer.

Neurontin took all of that pain away!

The key is to divide the doses and or take heavier doses at night. Or even better, start off with taking it just at night until your body gets used to it.

The side effects will slowly slip away or be barely noticeable.

The benefits far outweigh the side effects and afterall, sleepiness can be a very GOOD thing at night.

I started at 400mg 3x day and worked down to 400 2x day.

Good Luck

BTW - Lyrica is a supposedly cleaned up version of Nuerontin with less sleepy side effects. I do not know that as fact. Drug companies have a way a changing
    a molecule here or there to get a new patent because the old one ran out and now the generics are taking over.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.