1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perfectly Round Heavy Shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by grunt, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

TTT

2. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Jim,
    Interesting about the roundness of the heavy shot.My current load for turkey hunting is 1 5/8 oz of #5 Heavy Shot(Remington). I have done quite a bit of paterning with this load at various yardages and it works great for me.
    Also considering for ducks and geese.
    If you would like me to load some turkey loads and compare to my current factory loads I would be happy to give you the results.
    E-mail me and I will send you my address. Just drop the XX's

Dr. Honk

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jim- I found your first post rather fascinating. Please keep us informed about your progress. I can accept that you could approach a 100% pattern but I remain skeptical about consistently achieving 100% patterns. A round ball flying through air is not very aerodynamically stable. Also, the problem of shot deformation from set back during firing and barrel scrubbing of the shot will make some of the initially round balls change to other shapes.

The shot in the photograph looks very nice and uniform. It appears as if it were possibly made by placing them between two flat grinding disks rotating at different speeds.

There is a need for experimentation involving non toxic shot. If your project ever gets to the point of production, I can put you in touch with people who have contacts with all major shot shell producers (Alliant Technology / Alliant Powders). These people are not interested in R&D support but are excellent at marketing. Keep up the good work.

Pat Ireland

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

How many pellets do you get per ounce? I'm interested in the usual sized. Thanks, Joe

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jim- I was referring to the barrel scrubbing the shot and making it something other than round thus opening the pattern just a bit.

Pat Ireland

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

OK Jim, since you remember my statement concerning 100% patterns, then lets see if we can make them happen. I've got the tricks and techniques that have gotten into the mid 90's so get me some shot and I'll start to play.

If its that good, we should be able to get in the high 90's atleast :-}

Give me a call 785-822-7415 or email me and I'll tell you where to send some shot.

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.