1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perfectly cooked turkey in pics

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JACK, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I got this from Alton Brown (As I recall) and it works.

Take a defrosted turkey, oil and season it as you would normally.

Place the bird in your roaster on a "Pam"ed rack and BREAST side DOWN.

If the bird would normally cook in 3 hours, then flip the bird to BREAST side UP for the second half of the time normally allotted. 350 degrees. NO need to cover the breast with foil during the last half of cooking time.

Then as the bird is about finished put your instant read thermo in the slot between the thigh and breast. If that is 180 degrees, the bird is perfectly cooked.

Remove the bird and tent cover it with alum foil while you finish the side items.

This recipe works well for big roaster chickens too.

I nearly won a "Butterball" at the club yesterday. I never got up to one bird on the singles and it kept going. But 24 in the 20+ wind and driven ice and snow was not bad. Only one 25 out of 48 entries. The handicap was equally as brutal and I lost 2 birds on the last post (4, my fave and easiest)and broke a 21. At the Minneapolis Gun Club we shoot the handicap round from the 25 or our ATA yardage. the wind driven snow made seeing the bird emerge form the house impossible. I have been shooting better since I stopped straining to see the bird emerge from the house and yesterday proved to me that I am on the right track. Essentially, it is the Campbell method of high gun, high POI set up. If you see the bird as a target the bbl just "flicks" to the target and the release lets go. Hope I still have another year of getting better next season.

I'll get some pics of the bird as I cook it on Thursday.

If you like tender moist breast meat. Try the above cooking method. Fool proof method.

2. morgan1

morgan1 Member

Hey MIA we're going to deep fry two 15 pound birds injected with cajun creole butter, 3 minutes a pound @375 drgrees in peanut oil = awesome bird.
    The BT 100 continues to crush targets I could not be happier thanks again.

3. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Put the thawed turkey into a salt brine 18-24 hours before cooking. Bake as normal. I add garlic and turkey spices. We get lots of compliments with this method. YUM!

4. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

I like my breast best with fingers around my head lightly guiding me Dave B

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Jack, we use a similar method here in the east attributed to Dave Maynard a long time radio personality in Boston. A well oiled,unstuffed bird 3/4 of an hour at 375 to 400 breast down on burned toast. Remove the bird, stuff it and replace breast up, makes for a thoroughly cooked very moist turkey.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I cooked a 22lb bird last week. When the bird was done there was enough liquid in the pan to fill a 2 litre coke bottle. They must be injecting these birds with liguid to bring the weight up prior to sale to increse their profit margin. HMB

7. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

I like to smoke mine over pecan wood. I use a kettle cooker, fill the bird with stuffing, stick the elect thermo between breast and thigh, and take it off when the temp hits 175. I use welders gloves to handle the hot bird. Set it off when you hit the temp and let it cool for a while. the smoked dressing is to die for and the bird is pretty good too.

Bob

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

All the above methods work great ,but none as easy and perfect every time with no mess or danger from hot oil as the Charbroil oilless infrared turkey fryer. We use Alton Browns brine recipe then into the cooker for about one third less time than an oven. Another great thing is it frees up the oven for other things. No turning and you can put on your rub then baste for a perfectly brown bird all around. You must see to believe. Happy Thanksgiving, Jeff

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I did one yesterday, stuffed it with Oyster & Giblet dressing. Yummie. I grew up on my Amish Gradndmas Oyster & Giblet Dressing and I got this one real close to hers

10. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

http://youtu.be/3-OJTHFMUzE try this link, Jeff

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I will be grilling one on a homemade verticle rack I devised some years ago. It's made out of 300 series stainless steel and kinda reminds you of what you cook a chicken on, but supersized. It's the highlight of my Thanksgiving.

ss

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Wash and pat dry, then coat with oil.
    Stuff the cavity with butter and pop corn, then sew the end shot.

Pop it into the oven.

When it blows the door open, the turkey is done ... save the popcorn to enjoy while watching football.

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Going to be using the plastic bag method again this year. I see no reason in the world to change something that is not broken. Could not ask for a moister bird. break em all Jeff

14. JACK

Jeff. Describe the "plastic bag method"

15. 427cobra

427cobra TS Member

I agree, the plastic bag method works great. They are sold in grocery stores as Oven Bags. Guaranteed to give you a moist bird.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Larry

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

MIA, As Larry said its called a oven bag. Just stuff bird and spice as you like and then place in oven bad, twist the end and place tie on end so its closed almost all the way. Just open enought for some steam to excape. The bag also catches all the juices for the gravy as well. I'm starting to get hungry now so I have to stop. break em all Jeff

17. JACK

I may try that next time. But my 12# bird is losing its fridge cold now. I'll get pics of this in the AM as the process starts and proceeds

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Don't you dare put your turkey in a bag. That's disgusting. Put it on a rack in a pan in the oven. Baste it often. and cook until done and crispy golden brown on the outside. HMB

19. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

I do my Hurricane Turkey in the smoker. Lots of island spices for a dry rub, injected with olive oil/apple cider/triple sec plus wet rub of orange marmalade/ butter covered with cheese cloth till close to done... always a HIT!
    I also cook a regular bird with just tequila/apple juice for the non smokey types.
    I found some jalepenos still at the grocery, stuffed with my homemade sausage and cream cheese covered with bacon..
    Happy Thanksgiving from the Border! Mike

20. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Just don't vote for Obama next November and he is cooked!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.