1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perfect cowboy load

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bulgie, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

After having shoulder surgery I have been looking for a very soft shell and have finally found it.A friend in Oklahoma suggested 10 grains of Clays with one ounce of shot. I have loaded about 55 of these and plan to try them out tomorrow. He said they had very little recoil and would shoot fine. Will report on these later. Sure seems to be very little powder. Fred

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, I played with somewhere around 13 grns of Clays, 1 oz., and a Rem STS primer. I think it was right around 975 fps. I would not plan on breaking many 16 yd tgts. with only 10 grns.

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The lightest powder drop for Clays I could find in the Hodgdon data was about 15.5 grains to produce 1125 fps. and the lowest pressure I could find was about 6500 psi.

Given that you are reducing that charge weight by 35%, the shot will need a 15 yard lead on the target just to get to it, and with the pressure 10 grains will generate, you'll have to shoot downhill to make sure the shot leaves the barrel.

Morgan

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I don't think he is shooting clays. If it's for SASS (cowboy shooting) then he is shooting steel plates.

Don

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Fred, have ya tried the Winchester Low Noise, Low Recoil AA's? They don't have much recoil, dunno bout breaking targets though. Gne J.

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Isn't shooting cowboys illegal? It is here, even in Green Bay.

Rollin

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

A good cowboy load is 14 gr of Clays, 7/8 oz with the gray AA wad in an STS hull. This is the load I use for Cowboy Action Shooting.

Very little recoil and it will break birds from the 16 yard line (using 8's)

Don

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I would keep an eye open because when they make "Smart Ass" shooting legal you would be in big trouble.

Don

9. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I have gone so far as loading 15.0 grains of red Dot an 1 oz. of shot in AA shells for the new young shooters I have been working with. They have come up now to where they are shooting 16.5 Red Dod. And thay love it. Took em up slowly . They even shot 15.5 and 16 grains for a period of time prior to the move up to 16.5. There all comming along quite well in shooting. I can't weight to get them into 17 grains for handycap shooting. When you can take them in slow and at a low grainage like this they have a tendancy to stay with shooting then you would starting out young people right at 17 grains of Red Dot. Most of them are shooting semi autos and that makes a difference. But do have some that use pumps. They more so appreciate the slow move up to the heavier grained shells. A person I know who is doing the same as I am doing started out with loading 16.5 grains of Red Dot from the begining and he had 9 young people and two adults. He lost one of the adults and two of the young people. I started with one adult and 7 young people and still have the same amount of people come to the class. In this other persons crew most are shooting semi auto and two pumps. Pretty much the same as my crew.
    Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

10. quickestshot

quickestshot TS Member

Well bulgie, I hope you don't blow your gun up. Everyone knows it's dangerous to fool around with that light a load. Be sure and post how they shot. Sam.

11. Church Key

Church Key TS Member

That is way below the Hodgdon minimum. I shoot cowboy using 15.9 Clays, grey WAA12SL wad, 7/8 oz. shot in STS's. It's a very light load, but takes the steel down OK.

You can duplicate the Win Featherlite load using their powder, but you need an adjustible shot bar for a 26 gram shot load. I found that it's dirty/dusty to load.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.