1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

perceptive recoil question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tattooman, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tattooman

tattooman TS Member

I normally shoot 1/1-8 3 dram loads for Trap. I recently tried some 1 oz 2-3/4
    dram loads, but they kicked MORE, not less. I don't get that. So I went back to
    the 3 dram loads. Was this my imagination ? So WHY or HOW did the recoil seem more intense ?

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Damfino!

I usually shoot 1200 fps 1 oz loads for scores; they have less recoil compared to the 1 1/8 oz 1145 fps stuff. I shoot 7/8 oz. 1280 fps loads for practice and they're like shooting a .22.

12 gauge, 2 3/4" (7/8 oz at 1280 fps) 7.5 pound shotgun 12.7 ft/lbs of free recoil<BR>
    12 gauge, 2 3/4" (1 oz. at 1180 fps, 2 3/4 Dram) 7.5 pound shotgun 17.3 ft/lbs of free recoil<br>
    12 gauge, 2 3/4" (1 1/8 oz. at 1200, 3 Dram) 7.5 pound shotgun 23.0 ft/lbs of free recoil

MK

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

See thread on recoil calculator.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Don't believe what you read on the label. Take a shell apart and weigh the shot. HMB

5. joe kuhn

Good idea. And while you have one apart, weigh the powder too. You'll need it if your going to run the numbers through a recoil calculator.

Problem is, I've been told I need to do 10 shells and take an avg. I don't often have that much interest in accuracy, only trends.

6. hopper810

hopper810 Member

See thread on recoil calculator.

could you maybe post a link to this topic? thanks

7. joe kuhn

Here you go.

8. hopper810

hopper810 Member

Thanks for the link

Jerry

9. hopper810

hopper810 Member

Thanks for the link

Jerry

10. hopper810

hopper810 Member

Thanks for the link

Jerry

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"...You'll need it if your going to run the numbers through a recoil calculator."</blockquote>...easier to use a recoil calculator made specifically for shotguns... <I>Shotgun Recoil Calulator</I>

MK

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Its very confusing if all you are reading is the labels.

As Neil Winston has posted numerous times, (paraphrasing) according to SAAMI standards, any batch of shells can be +/- 90 fps from their posted muzzle velocity.

He's actually tested various different brands, and posted clever graphs showing different brands have different variations on what their published muzzle velocities are.

Three primary things affect recoil.

- Weight of the ejecta

- Muzzle Velocity of the ejecta

- Weight of the gun

Assuming you were using the same gun...If the shells you normally shoot are at the low end of the SAAMI tolerance, and the 1145 shells you shot are at the upper end of the tolerance, if could very well be that they had heavier recoil.

But you never know unless you check the weight of the ejecta, and the muzzle velocity. Otherwise its all just guesswork.

13. joe kuhn

"As Neil Winston has posted numerous times, (paraphrasing) according to SAAMI standards, any batch of shells can be +/- 90 fps from their posted muzzle velocity."

Wow.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Joe,

Here is the chart Neil Winston has posted in the past (note, Neil did this testing, not me, I can take no credit for this work.) As you can see, there's a lot of variability from the muzzle velocity that might be posted on the shell box.

1200 fps doesn't always mean 1200 fps.

[​IMG]

15. joe kuhn

Some designations over lap, some don't - within each mfr. Based on this, Remington, Federal and Gold Medal have the better shells because their speed ranges don't overlap across shell types.

I just bought a box of XL and L Winchesters yesterday to try them out. There's plenty of overlap in Neil's chart. If you happen to get the top of the XL range and the bottom of the L range, then XLs might actually be faster than L. Of course, that's just speed. I know the XLs are 28 grams and the Ls are 1 oz of shot, so the recoil calcuation is left to us. Too bad they just don't do the recoil calcs for us. Hah!

Thanks.

16. lancelot

lancelot Member

Let me tell my, and two of my friend's perceptions, in the same example on recoil. None of the three of us can tell any recoil difference between the NobelSport 2 3/4 - 1 1/8, 1145fps shell and the NobelSport 1200 fps 1oz.load.

Also if I load a 1 1/16oz, 1175fps, STS, TGT 12, W209 with Green Dot I seem to get less recoil than the same loading with Int'l Clays.

The foregoing represents my total knowledge on recoil perception.

Ron Ireland

17. joe kuhn

Oops. Those Win XtraLites are 26 grams, not 28. For purposes of either recoil calculator 26 grams = 401 grains.

28 grams is approximately equal to 1 oz.

18. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Some answers can't be scientifically engineered!

19. joe kuhn

Can it be both? The fun part is shooting them to find out. The numbers part helps in the understanding. I like to do both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.