1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Percentage or High Gun purse question??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mixer, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

We're having a debate at my club as to what you would call the payout if you have an event that is going to pay 50-30-20% to the three highest scores. Would it be a hi-gun or percentage purse?

Eric

2. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Mixer,

Lets say that you have 5 guys shooting 100 targets, the scores from the 5 guys are:
    shooter 1 100
    shooter 2 100
    shooter 3 100
    shooter 4 99
    shooter 5 98

if you pay this purse you have listed above to where the hi guns get the money, the first 3 places are paid to the 100's this is high gun method.

if you pay this purse out to where the 100's get 50% (also divided by 3 as they split the 50%) of the money
    the 99 gets all of the 30%
    and the 98 gets all of the 20%
    this would be a percentage payout.

It amazing how many people shoot this game and don't have a clue to how money is split in it, and then shoots later someone is complaining that they did not understand it from the start. Hope this helps you. l.g.

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

mixer

"you would call the payout if you have an event that is going to pay 50-30-20% to the three highest scores. Would it be a hi-gun or percentage purse?"

Under your payout classes 50-30-20% if the 3 top scores are all 100 the score of 100 will get all the money split equally under the High Gun payout system

Under the Percentage purse system in the scenario that little gambler gave will mean that if the 50% is split 3 ways with a score of 100 the will each get around 16% of the money in that percentage. While the 99 and the 98 could under the Percentage system get a bigger payout than the top score gets.

I bring this up because a lot of shooters will not play a percentage purse because there is a potential to shoot the top score and get less for it. Which some see as being the same as winning your class in a trophy shoot and getting the smaller trophy.

I say this as a point of planning if you are going to propose one type plan over the other you should know of the possible ramifications of the decision.

Bob Lawless

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

In the sceanario I described there will be no "ties divide" we're planing to make it that all ties shoot off. Now here's the question, if shooters A, B, & C tie with a 98 and they shoot off and B wins the shoot off, he gets the 50% of the total but what do shooters A & C get? Do they automatically get eliminated from the money and the shooter who shot the next highest score under the 98 gets the 30% part of the purse?

Eric

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

No, if A beat C in the shootoff, he gets the 30%. If they tied in the shootoff (or flip, etc) then a continuing shoot-off or flip will settle who gets the larger share. No matter what, the scores under 98 are out of luck.

One way to think of it (though Little G's description is better) is that high gun pays shooters and ties divide pays scores.

Neil

6. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Do we now shootoff for money? At one time the shootoffs were for trophies and the money was awarded as stated in the program on the score shot in the event - either high gun or percentage system.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I love the high gun system and used it when I ran Lewis shoots.

Explaining it to lardheads was no fun. I wrote an explanation out but there were still lardheads who thought it was the percentage system because "per cent" numbers were used.

Still think it's the best thing for shooters, using 1 for 5, 20 percent (at least) get money.

HM

8. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Mixer,

From what you described in your 2nd post it is neither Percentage nor High Gun purse. It is more like how trophies are awarded. I think that the program should read:

Purse 50-30-20% Ties will NOT divide and will be shot-off after the event.

So if you have 3 98's they shoot off, first out gets 20%, next 30%, winner 50%. Exactly how you would shoot off for 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Jason

9. Strait Shooter

Strait Shooter Member

Seems pretty simple, it's either hi-gun or percentage and should be mandantory to list the purse in the program as hi-gun , percentage, or high-gun/percentage. This would remove all the doubt and not allow some cashier or someone to make that decision after the shoot is over. In the case mentioned at the start the highest scores would split 50% second highest split 30% third highest split 20%. Without the word high-gun it's paid percentage. Really not to difficult.

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the input. We're planning to hold a $9000 added money shoot December 11-12-13 with 2-100 target handicap events each day and $1500 up for grabs for each event paid out at $750-$500-$250 hi-gun. It might be worth a trip to Markham Park in S. Florida to try your luck since it's probably going to be cold up north.

Eric

11. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Another interesting point. How do you define "added money"?

Is it money added to the shoot from an outside source or is it money guaranteed and taken from the entry?

12. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Comes from an outside source. No part of the added money comes from the shooters.

Eric

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Big Heap

"Is it money added to the shoot from an outside source or is it money guaranteed and taken from the entry"

Big Heap no disrespect but this concerns the shooters HOW???????

Bob Lawless

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

These purses confuse many. They have accurately been defined above but it might be clearer if we look at some numbers.
    Eric indicated that for each event, the club will pay, at least, $750, $500, and $250.

If we have the following top scores: 100,99,99,98 and it is a high gun purse, the 100 would get $750. The two 99's would get $375 (500 + 250 / 2). The score of 98 gets nothing. The top three shooters are paid.

If it is a percentage purse, the 100 would pay $500, the two 99's would get $250 each and the 98 would get $250. The top three scores are paid.

The purse Erick has proposed is a 50%, 33.33%,and 16.66% division, not the standard 50/30/20.

Pat Ireland

15. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

Added money may be from a sponsor and or a donor, and usually so noted in the
    progam. Unless noted as such, added money is your own money, a increase to the
    entry fees which supposedly, I say supposedly is distrubuted, to the winning
    contestants, if you get my drift. Think, as a Trapshooter you are also a customer. Remind the manager you and others are customers. Buyer Beware.

Sharing Information,
    Gunnerx

16. Hauser

Hauser Member

When did we start shooting off for option money????

Jerry Hauser

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jerry- This is the first time I have heard of doing that, but is is the clubs choice.

Pat Ireland

18. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

Options may and can be, Misleading,Deceitful and Fraudulent.

Now lets see, If we would just folow the money trail and investigate, we could
    play the High gun and or the Percentage purse, hmmmmmmm. And we would still
    be eligible for the added money, who's added money? I have always wondered who
    added that money, how nice of them. You know they never say who added the $$$$.

Gunnerx

19. Hauser

Hauser Member

Gunnerx

Most of the shoots I have attended state where the added money is coming from. Our state shoot program is a case in point.

Jerry Hauser

20. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

What difference does it make if the money is donated by the church, the mafia or anywhere in between? It all spends the same.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.