1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Percentage of left hand shooters

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by krieghoffkrusher, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Anyone know the rough percentage of left hand shooters? I know the general population is somewhere between 10-13% left handed but I thought I heard a number as high as 20% for shotgun shooters. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. ShotgunTraveler

ShotgunTraveler TS Member

Well, I shoot left handed (although I am actually right handed...eye dominance issues) and the rest of my normal squad is right handed. So therefore conclude that this must be the norm so 20% sounds about right to me. I would actually think it is much less than that though.

Joe

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Since trap shooters are known to be smarter than the average population, and given that left handers are smarter than right handers, it stands to reason that the percentage of left handers would be dis-proportionately higher.
    Seriously, many right handers are left eye dominant and benefit by shooting with their weak side.

Robert

4. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I'm a true lefty and if I see a handful of left-handed shooters at a shoot, that's alot. I think your percentages are rather high...unless that pertains to the Grand (more people). MHO.

5. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Many years ago I asked that question when Beretta introduced the 680 and had left hand stocks from the factory. I was told around 7 % and that the population was about 15%. I had wondered why no one else did that and I knew several Win., Rem. rep.s & saw Hal duPont often. None of them saw enough of a market and quoted the 6-8 %.

6. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Three trapshooters in my club are left-handed.

7. Chris_H

Chris_H Member

It wouldn't surprise me if the numbers were high. I am a true lefty and it would not be that hard for me to go the club and shoot on an all lefty squad. Of our 4 SCTP coaches only one is right handed.

8. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

Certainly under 20%. The reason being is that Everyone starts out left handed
    until they make thier first mistake.

Gunnerx

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Probably about 10% of the shooters I see are shooting left handed. Then there are are bunch of mixed up people that have lived their lives as right handers because thats how they were taught but really they are left eye dominant.

Here is a suprising statistic, 70% of the registered professional engineers are left handed. There really is a correlation between using the right hemisphere of the brain and having a knack for technical work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.