1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi wont eject Rio or Fiocchi

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Thom Simpson, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Thom Simpson

Thom Simpson Member

Grand American 2 with a top single barrel. It never ejected RIO. Got a new batch of Fiocchi in 1oz 1170fps it will not eject. Will eject old Fiocchi 1 oz 1200fps. Thought maybe ejector rod is worn, bought a new rod. Put it in still wont eject them. Will eject Nitro and STS easy. Any ideas?

Side Note (this gun does have issues, it was bought on Trapshooters from a well known member several years ago it has had the frame welded)

Thanks
    Thom

2. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Thom, look in the chamber closely and see if there is any ringing. Check headspace. Have you pulled the ejector and checked the springs and ejector tail for wear?

3. Thom Simpson

Thom Simpson Member

Yep, took it apart cleaned it real good. Replaced spring. There migh be a slight ring in chamber, I can catch it with finger nail and see it.

4. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

I would almost bet that the bases are expanding into the ring and hanging there. Different alloys have different springback characteristics so some will hang up while others extract ok. Dale Lebsock had to carry a small plier around to extract Rio Elite empties from the bottom ( more used ) bbl. of his Perazzi. You can try to polish the chamber a little. Best would be to call Tom Wilkinson and see if he can sleeve the chambers for you.

mg1polo thanked this.
  5. Thom Simpson

Thom Simpson Member

Thanks, i was afraid of somthing like that. Its the gun my Girlfriend shoots. I got 20 flats of the Fiocchi, looks like the boys will have a few more to shoot, and i get to pull the cover off the Mec and get to work.

Hope to see you back on the line soon!

flashmax thanked this.
  6. frwoodsman

frwoodsman Member

I noticed this characteristic with several higher end Italian guns. The steel hulls would not eject but brass was fine. My Brownings are much more forgiving with apparently a slightly larger chamber.

cole50 thanked this.
  7. Flor1

Flor1 Active Member

Get yourself a 10 gauge brass bore brush chuck it up in a drill run back and forth for a minute end of problem.

8. Bluegoose

Bluegoose Active Member

The issue isn't the gun but the junk that is being sold as shotgun shells.

My Model 12s hate steel base shells as do my Beretta 686s, countless 870 owners also report issues.

I'm 71 years old and have been shooting shotguns since I was 11. Until the advent of steel based shells, I cannot recall knowing anyone having issues with any shell brand regardless of the gun make.

It's ridiculous to have to hone or polish any gun chamber, much less one that costs so many $$$, in order to have shells extract/eject.

GoldGuy, marbax, Stl Flyn and 3 others thanked this.
  9. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Shoot a Perazzi top single combo and shoot Remington's. Thought I would try the new Rio Elite. Would not eject from top single barrel. Tried with another barrel and did same thing. In doubles they worked ok but did hang once in awhile. Sold what elites I had and stayed with the Remington's.

10. Passport

Passport Well-Known Member

Well said

11. Passport

Passport Well-Known Member

These tend to stick slightly in my 870TC where as brass is zero issues

12. Thom Simpson

Thom Simpson Member

Last years Fiocchi 1oz 1200 worked great NO issues. I order 14 or so flats of the 1oz 1170 and they SUCK. Buddy at league grabbed my box and tried to shoot them last night in his 870. They would NOT Work. I have not tried any of the 1 1/8 Fiocchi

time to fire up the Mec

13. Thom Simpson

Thom Simpson Member

I will try that.

14. SteveS1965

SteveS1965 Active Member

i had the same problem with the rio shells in a remington 870, took a bore brush wrapped it in 000 steele wool and put some gun oil on it and polished the chamber and the problem was gone

15. Bluegoose

Bluegoose Active Member

At risk of beating a dead horse, the following is a copy of a post that I made on the SGW site several months ago.

'The steel base shell issue exemplifies exactly what is wrong with manufacturing in today's society....we can sell them junk if we market it correctly."

The problem with using these steel based hulls is NOT just unpolished chambers. Problems with these shells are common in many high quality, vintage guns such as Winchester Model 12s, Remington 870s, as well as many of the top tier sporting guns currently marketed. These guns have a proven track record of reliability and reputation for high quality.

Pure and simple, the offending shells are junk! How can I defend my accusation? Try this.....
    Run a box of unfired promo loads through the resizing die of your reloader and then do the same for a box of AAs then it will be VERY CLEAR to you. I've done this exercise, pun intended, many times with my PW reloader. The variance of diameters is almost unbelievable. Approximately 3 out of 5 promo shells require all 200 pounds of "me" to eject the shell out of the die - that is totally unacceptable! The AAs run through without any issue.

I understand that polishing chambers is helpful in some cases but that is just putting a bandaid on the issue. The true solution,as idealistic as it is, is to quit buying crap so it disappears from the market.

Ed Y thanked this.
  16. grunt

grunt Well-Known Member

See a gunsmith and have him run a flexhone made for the chamber and that should help you. Puts a nice polish and makes it smooth.

17. jansonuhl

jansonuhl Active Member

Laib's rechambered my TM 1 for a very reasonable price and did a great job. My chamber was out to almost .830 and they took down to factory specs. (about .810 i think)

18. mg1polo

mg1polo TS Supporters TS Supporters

This is a fairly common issue, with a really simple fix.
    Do not shoot those shells in your gun.
    Pick some that do not have this problem and your good to go.
    MG

OldGoat, KS-OKIE, Claypoppy and 1 other person thanked this.
  19. dolphin62

dolphin62 Active Member

not trying to sound like a ass. I wish I had a fine gun like a Perazzi or kreighoff. Why would you even think of shooting them in it. The wads ,shot and powder is not the best and the hulls well.?

flashmax and mg1polo thanked this.
  20. Bob Butler

Bob Butler Well-Known Member

Makes me feel much better. My 100 dollar express 870 barrel is in the same bed as a high dollar P gun. Neither like the cheap beer option in the promo isle at the big box store.
    Guess the old duck blaster and the Fine Italian bird swatter are going to have to head to a better restaurant for the evening. Only fine wine from now on to avoid this morning after hangover.

Search tags for this page

perazzi fiocchi

steel base shotgun shells that wont eject