1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi...use grease or oil?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tractorboy, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

Included with my new Perazzi was a large tube of Perazzi grease, which I assume that Perazzi intended that I should use on the gun. When I looked at the "Giacomo sporting" website, I found in the FAQ section that Giacomo says to use oil instead of grease on the gun. I have seen where a lot of folks on trapshooters.com refer to Giacomo as the ultimate authority on Perazzi shotguns. So what am I to do....use oil or grease to get the maximum life out of my new Perazzi? Could some of you long time Perazzi shooters give me some advice on this issue?

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Look it up in a earlier thread.. Very well discussed.. in detail.. The short answer is both.. in different places..

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Only use oil. You can use it in a liquid form or use oil mixed with a carrier (grease), but both are a form of oil.

Pat Ireland

4. Guy

Guy Member

Tri-Flow. Buy it at bicycle shops.

5. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

WGH, I looked at the tri-flo products on their website and they have both grease and oil. Do you use their grease or their oil on your Perazzi?

6. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The folks at Perazzi must have bought a boat load of that black nasty grease! They have been putting in with their guns for years. No doubt its a fine grease, just plan on everything you own being soot black after you use it. I'd leave it in the case for the next owner to deal with...

Any quality oil will keep your gun operating in perfect order. The trick is to clean it frequently and apply new oil every time you go shooting. Dirt and dust mix with the oil or grease in your gun and reduce their lubricating properties. If you clean the old oil out and apply fresh you'll have your new P-gun for decades.

http://www.gunzilla.us/

I have been using Gunzilla, a cleaner, lube and protectant for all my guns. Great stuff and it does not leave an oily film on the gun. You can check it out online at the link above. Makes my .45 Kimber slide really nice too!

Bob Schultz

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Come on, someone tell the "neva usa da greasa" story again. I laughed my butt off when that was first posted.---Matt

8. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

use either....just need to clean your gun after every use. That will prolong the life of any gun.

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

GET real big box to carry all the spare parts in too seems they need them

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

use 30W oil till it breaks in, then plain wheel bearing grease and the gun wil tighten up and stay wthat way for 50 thou.

I've shot Perazi for 100 thou and only changed a couple of hammer springs. I use wbg on my circa 85 Mx3 and it is tight.

11. Guy

Guy Member

Tri-Flow oil.....has teflon.....does not cook out....does not create what I call a "cushion" between surfaces like grease.....allows everything to mate up close and clean....does not build up. Buy the spray can to use on the trigger....use on choke tubes....and bore snake. I even use a Tri-flow soaked rag to wipe down everything when the day is done. Drank the Kool-aid.

12. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Jack i was going to say forget the grease and oil and find someone that can solder. I guess that is not funny either. Just having fun. My Berettas break from time to time as well but i don't get bent out of shape if someone pokes fun at them. All of them break just some have the same issues for years and it never seems to get fixed. Grease should be used on the hinges and lugs oil everywhere else.

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Extra Virgin olive oil, first pressing.

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

How is it that everyone knows more about these shotguns than the person that builds them? Perazzi includes grease with the gun, take the hint.

15. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Lucio some time back recommended a mixture of STP and non-detergent SAE 30 motor oil. Lot cleaner and less messy than STOS or the like. I use the Perazzi grease on the choke tubes, helps keep them in place.

- - Bill

16. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

I,ve owned 9 Perazzi's and only used Mystic-JT-6 on all of them. Also used it on Ljutic's, Krieghoff's, and my Browning Superposed. Used it on my Kolar. It is a pressure grease designed for Timken bearings. It doesn't breakdown and doesn't run. I clean all my guns after each outing. Have never had any problems with any of my firearms using this product. It will cost around 5 dollars for a lb. Looks like STOS, but I feel a better product. Hope this helps, Roy

17. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

The do break a spring now and then,try and change any other trigger problem as quick.

18. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I use a synthetic grease with finly powdered Teflon mixed in. Label name is SUPER LUBE. Looks a lot like STOS. Buy it at ACE HARDWARE for about $6/tube.

If it was not so messy (black stains on your clothes) I would use nothing but a MOLY grease on the rubbing surfaces with TRI-FLOW oil on all pins in the trigger group.

Most important to clean out all old lube frequently and re-lube with fresh. Many shooters, some on this site, brag of cleaning and lubing their gun only a couple of times a year. I suspect that the rubbing surfaces on those guns are seriously galled. I value my equipment enough to give it a chance to live forever. And so far it has worked pretty well. My Ljutic is 36yrs old and my TM-1 is about the same age. Both were all original (except hammer springs) until 2010 when I elected to have them gone through mechanically and reblued. This was elective surgery that was not required to keep them running, but they sure do look pretty again. Marc

19. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

The tube of grease that Perazzi includes these days is a white grease and is not messy. They say to use it on the hinge pins and the contact area between the front of the receiver and the forearm iron.

20. Rods Custom Stocks

Rods Custom Stocks Member

The grease that most shooters prefer seems to be STOS. We set up as vendors at most of the shoots and thats the #1 lube that everybody asks for. I use it also and it's like everything else a little goes a long way.

.........Rod

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
giacomo gun oil
gun oil giacomo

hinge pin perazzi

oiling a browning superposed

perazzi grease

perazzi gun grease

perazzi lube
what is the best gun oil for a perazzi