1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Type III vs Type IV ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Oct 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Assume you were not going to be adding or replacing barrels or wood and you will be shooting it as the factory originally made it

What are the advantages of the Perazzi Type IV over the Type III ?

Will the Type III hold together and shoot Trap competitively for a long time ?

Is one weaker than the other ? More prone to cracking or breakage ?

Are the differences just two equally acceptable methods made different due to reducing manufacturing costs or improving flexibility ?

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

You cant sell a type 3 at about any price

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Understand the inability to resale.

Sometimes guns and other items have no resale value but are still functional and useable for their original intent.

Does the Type III have known defects in design or workmanship ?

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

I disagree about resale of type 3 guns I have sols a few without problems. Yes... They bring less money but they are just as reliable. I have a type 3 that has over 300,000 rounds throught it.

Tom

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

How do tell a type 3 from a type 4?

6. SlowArrow

SlowArrow Member

Check out this post for a great description of the changes:

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=276943&Messages=5

Mike

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

GN777777. Intimates that type 3 guns are near worthless. They are far from that. Yes... 20-40% less that similar type 4 guns but not worthless. These are great guns provided yo understand the differences and issues. Like I said I have one that has 250,000+ rounds thrrough it and I am not about to give it away.

Tom

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Type III refer to the forend attachment design only. Rest of the gun has nothing to do with it, receiver changes is a totally different matter, and occurred in different times.

The ONLY "problem" you might see (few) is the forearm wood run a hairline crack behind the iron due to loose screw. It totally does not affect the function of the gun.

The crack can be fixed at minimum cost, if you care. Buying a replacement forearm wood is less than $100~150 if you must.

I saw one type III forearm wood cracked all the way from the back of the iron latch to the end of the back edge, the owner shot it like that for 15 years, nothing fell apart. As a matter of fact, I bought that gun and donate it to our local boy-scout shooting program and they are still shooting it without fixing the wood.

In the Blue Book, type III guns has a 15~20% less value to a comparable type IV, partially due to age too.

I'd buy any type III MX-8 at 10~20% discount verses the round monobloc models anytime.

[​IMG]

JFYR, your can convert type III under lug to type IV for less than $200~300. plus a type IV forend iron and wood to make it type IV for less than $1000.

9. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

As a famous man once said in his book on Perazzi the worst Perazzi is better than most other Shotguns or something to that effect !

10. g7777777

Steve W and Doug Brown are normally in the ballpark but what is going on

Take a look at the last type 3 you sold sell at all and then what it sold for?

Buying a replacement forearm wood is less than $100-150? We know that isnt close dont we?

It could be 2000 depending on the type of wood and forearm

Now I admit they shouldnt crack- normally operator error but the problem is you have to be vigilent to keep everything tight

Lets be open here- someone might go out and spend a lot of money on a type 3 and then find out- whoops - they were told wrong

11. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I'd like to know where all these unsaleable type 3's are at. I'll buy them- please send names. Thanks

12. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Pat Lsib has an inexpensive inletting process that will prevent type III
    forend cracking (cost me less than a $100).

13. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

When was the top lever design changed? I always thought that coincided with the change from Type 3 to Type 4, but I guess that isn't the case.

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

g777, You're full of shit. They have always sold for less than the fours but "not saleable"............ bullshit. I sell them all the time. Go sell some more of those "blow up prone" K80's you have in the back of your safe.

15. g7777777

Well Mr. Barry Roachy

I hope you let the people that dont know anything and are buying from you that they will have trouble selling them if they are able to at all- should they change their mind

I am not saying that they arent good guns but if the operator snoozes then you have a cracked forearm

The market doesnt want to have to pay attention to all of that.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

PS barry Roachy- how many type 3s do you purchase at just this sligly reduced price you are talking about?

PPS- I didnt say they are "near worthless" but if fact was talking about you couldnt sell them-- just try selling them and telling the person- hey just so you know- the forearm is going to crack if you abuse your gun-- see how the sale goes after that

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Geneykins. You have always been prone to stretching things a bit. Especially when you're trying to sell those blow up guns. Hell I'm scared to shoot next to one. I've seen at least three blown up and one getting ready to. A whole lot more important than a little crack on a forend.

17. Peter Sinclare

Peter Sinclare Active Member

From what I understand, type IV forend is an improved design over type III, it prevents the fore wood from possible cracking in some cases. It does not affects the function of the whole gun. Why would it be so significant to devalue one of the best shotgun in the world?

18. g7777777

Barry Roahcy-- you didnt answer that question- how many type 3s do you purchase at just below the price of type 4s that you claim

Why are there so many P gun models

Why cant you sell 26 inch barrels or guns despite all the hall of fame shooters that shot them?

Despite all the good and new shooters that shoot them?

Who knows is the answer

The question was asked

If you all on the other hand want to pay the same for a type 3 as you do a type 4 or close to it- go ahead

I was answering the question of the person asking it and I think he probably had already heard the answer I gave- your opinions are new to him

Marketplace selection is what it is called

Regards from Iowa

Gene

PS - In case in point to what Steve W stated about durability(at least of the receiver) I think the AMU has a couple of guns that at least started off and lived their early lives as type 3s that have between 1 million and 2.2 million shells fired through them. I again am not commenting on durability

19. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

T3 forends are just like T2's and almost like T1's and NONE of them are a problem for anyone who takes care a gun costing several thousand dollars in the manner it deserves. I have a T2 here w/ about a bazillion rounds thru it and an early T3 with nearly as many and neither of them has experienced any problems of any kind.

But then I take pretty good care of things that are important to me.

20. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

How difficult is the maintenance on the Type III forend ?

Can a non-gunsmith do it ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi type 3 vs type 4