Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perazzi type III vs. type IV

5K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  glenns 
#1 ·
Can a type III Perazzi barrel be converted to type IV? If so, who does it & what will it cost? Does it reduce the value of the barrel?

#2 ·
Yes but you will then need a type 4 forearm unless you have that already

Type 3 barrels arent worth much compared to type 4 and converting one wont make it worth any more but it might make it work on your type 4 gun

The only thing needed is a type 4 forearm lug and a gunsmith--- if you have Perazzi or Giacomo's operation do it- they will want to reblue the barrel afterwards

Could be very expensive if you do it that way

Someone on here had used a CNC and had type 4 lugs for sale- dont remember who

Regards from Iowa

Gene

#4 ·
I had a type III MX-8 O/U Barrel converted and fitted by Danny at Ciacomo's in Rome, NY and he did an excellent job and fitted it to my receiver and forend. The job was so clean that I decided to shot it before having the entire gun re-blued this year or next and ut was well under $400. Giacomo's Sporting is the best and most honest Perazzi repair shop I have delt with and when they say it will be done, it's done, on time and correct.
Don

#5 ·
"Type 3 barrels arent worth much compared to type 4"

So, what do you figure, maybe $200-$300 for those worthless T3 barrels????

I have several T3 guns here and dang if they don't all seem to work just fine. I wonder how that is, eh?

#6 ·
In 2000 I had a 34 " simmons unsingle fited to my mx3 special, the forearm lug had to be replaced. It never affected the blueing at all. I shot it till 2007 before I sent it to Glenrock to get everything reblued.It cost less than $200 for fitting to the reciever and changing the lug. It snapped on with no problems I didn't know it needed to be fitted to the forearm. Just Lucky

Dill

#8 ·
The main problem with the Type 3 forends was that shooters over-tightened the screws that held the wood to the forend iron and that, on some occassions caused the wood to crack.

The easy solution was not to over-tighten the small screws -- just a little snug, not until you could feel the wood compress. Of course you had to check on it to see that it was too loose but all that took was to use a small screw driver to check how tight it was everytime you put the forend on.

I personally like the Type 3 guns a bit more than the later guns as they seem, to me, to be of a bit better quality. The earlier guns bluing could have been better and the wood was certainly plain enough - they just seemed to take more shooting before you needed to do anything to them.

#12 ·
Been shooting MX8's for years! There is certainly nothing wrong with type 3 Perazzi's. Lately there has been a rash of people thinking that they MUST have type 4. I for one don't buy into the notion that you have to have the 3's converted and just because someone says the 4 is better!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.