1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Type 4 receivers- Most current internals?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Aug 12, 2013.

1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

At what serial number were the Type 4 perazzis converted to the most current generation of internal parts? Or are all type 4 receivers the same?

2. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

The only thing that has changed in the last 40 or so years is some detail mods to the firing pins and a minor reshaping of the bottom barrel hammer. And the top lever return spring.

All of which retrofit into every action since the SC1.

The trigger selector things were innovations not really changes but they retrofit too for that matter tho they have no effect on the other internals.

3. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Type 4 Perazzi's began around serial# 54,000. While some changes have been made internally in the receiver, the Type 4 mainly refers to the changes in the forend to alleviate the cracking issues some had with the previous designs. As for the changes in the receivers, you can tell what series receiver you have by looking for the position of the top lever release pin on the breach face. i.e.-12 o'clock or 3 o'clock. Garrett

4. buster45

buster45 Active Member

I have a type IV serial number 51011.

Buster

5. semperfi909

"I have a MX8 combo type 4 with serial number 521xx. Top lever release pin is at 12 o'clock. According to date codes it is a 1978 production. Terry"

That would be a T3 action - T4 forend came into production before the T4 action.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

My Mx8, #52011 is a type 3 in all respects.

7. semperfi909

GHAA27

The forends are indeed T4. The action bodies with the lever release on the right hand side of the action are T4 actions. 1978 guns are all T3 actions since T4's did not exist then.

"Top lever release pin is at 12 o'clock." The definitive T3 identifier.

HTH

Charlie

8. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

The actions weren't typed 3 or 4 technically, just the fore-end. Lever release trip placement was changed more than once.

And some of the late 70's MX-8 combos came through with type 4 O/U barrels mated with type 3 top singles, individual fore-ends, all with proper proofs and serial numbers. GAP

9. semperfi909

Type 1&2 release on left side of action

Type 3 release at top of action

Type 4 release on right side of action

FWIW My experience has been that T1/2 wood is not generally happy on T3 iron. And T3 actions are not T1/2 as far as the lever release is concerned. And I understand that T3 iron is somehow different. It IS visually different from T1 I know for a fact. T2, maybe. At any rate that all leads me to believe, but not know absolutely, that the T3 guns were "different" from the T2. When the T4 forend showed up, (76-ish?) no change was made to the actions but it was still the T3 action until sometime post78 pre82 to my knowledge. I can think of a few reasons why the lever trip was change form the top location to the right side but it has never been an issue for me. Like GAP says the mixnmatch of forends could have been easy with the factory having a stack of T3 single barrels on the shelf waiting to get used up in the later part of the 70's.

like I said, FWIW

Charlie

10. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Most current guns have trunions (sp?) that have a roll pin holding them in through them. That's the most current change in internal parts. I have seen this in a plain jane MX8 to SCO MX8. Old style were always pressed into the sides.