1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Type 3 v Type 4

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 3200, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3200

3200 TS Member

Located another MX8 that has my interest. Not sure if the forearm is a Type 3 or 4. Ser # on the forearm iron is in the 65xxx range, while the ser # on the receiver is in the 48xxx range. Is it safe to say, by virtue of the forearm iron ser # that this gun has been upgraded to a Type 4 forearm?

2. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

*************HI JACK IN PROCESS*************

Is the conversion from Cat 3 to Cat 4 an expensive process and do you end up having to buy a second forearm?
    I have an oportunity to buy a set of Cat 3 barrels for my Cat 4 MX 15....should I pass?

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

MX8's statement "Type 3 & 4 refer to Perazzi forend iron design only, it has nothing to do with receiver." is not quite correct. Yes... there is a major difference between the forarms as mentioned but there are also differences with the top levers. The Type 3 lever was prone to brakage. Perazzi redesigned the lever at about 45-50000 serial numbers. Type 4 levers can be used to convert type 3 guns. Its about a $700 repair. I know have had it done on two different guns.

TB

4. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

So what I am hearing is my situation is not really a "practical" option.

Not only is there work to be done on the forearm configuration, there maybe work to be done on the lockup depending on the serial number.

By the time a this "work" is done you might as well buy a new barrel set.

5. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If the 65,000 serial forearm is on the gun, the barrel hanger has been modified. You are good to go.

Toot,
    The change to the barrel hanger is pretty easy for a qualified gunsmith to do, should be pretty cheap. I would give Giacomo a call for an estimate. The top lever change was made as TBaber indicates, but you can fit a type 4 forearm to a type 3 receiver without changing the toplever. I would not make the toplever change at all because it require drilling the receiver.

Don Rackley

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

Don:

"I would not make the toplever change at all because it require drilling the receiver." Not correct. There are Type 4 top levers for both top and side release. No modifications have to be made to the receiver to fit a Type 4 Top lever to a Type 3 Gun.

TB

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

Let me clear up some misunderstandings.... First, 3200 the original poster is looking at gun that appears to be a Type 3 with a Type 4 forend iron. Great the gun had had one of the upgrades. The other is the Top Lever. The Top Levers in the Type 3 guns were WEAK and prone to Breakage. This gun appears to have one of these levers and 3200 should be prepared to shell out about $5-700 to replace the lever when it breaks. It does not need to be done until it breaks but since the majority of the ones that I have seen have broken it will. Perazzi changed the design of the Top Lever about the same time that they changed the forearm. This took place at about serial number 50,000± so its hard to tell without taking the gun apart if it has new Top Lever. In short... I the price is right and you want the gun buy it. I would be more worried about the Top Lever type than the Forearm however because Giacomo can fit almost any type to any type for about the same money however the BIG expense will be the Top Lever replacement.

TB
    p.s. I have 2 Type 3 SC1T's Both guns have converted Type 4 barrels however my primary gun has the Top Lever upgrade because the original broke. My back up doesn't but I know its just a matter of time even Giacomo told me to treat it gently because of the lever....

8. 3200

3200 TS Member

TB, MX8, All -

Thanks for the added info. I received Lippard's book the other day and have read it quite thoroughly. The info you have added and clarified will no doubt be attached to the 'Notes" pages in the book.

One other question as it pertains to the Type 4 top lever. Is it identifiable in the same manner that an original Type 4 would be or as described by Lippard?

9. Lurefish

Lurefish Member

I have an old MX-8 Perazzi that I had converted from type 3 to type 4 by Giacomo. The gun always felt loose in the forend. I had it converted at the Grand a few years ago between events,he welded and shaped a new forend hanger on the o/u barrels and replaced the forend iron and wood with a nice used piece. Yhe cost was on the short side of $600 and the gun feels like new. Ken Jeffries

10. 3200

3200 TS Member

Piecing this thread together it looks like we're talking about ~$1000-1200 for a complete Type 4 conversion - forearm and top lever?

11. Baber

Baber TS Member

The only way you can tell if a type 3 gun has had the top lever upgraded to type 4 is to pull the lever and look. This is something you don't want to do unless you really know what you are doing. As best as I can recall all of the type 3 were Ithica Imports. The Winchesters were type 4's.

TB

12. 3200

3200 TS Member

Not to drag this on, can I assume that all of the Perazzi line - MX3, MX5, MX8, MX11, DBs, etc saw upgrades to a Type 4?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
differance between type 3 and type 4 perrazi barrel
difference between perszzi mx8 type 3 and 4
perazzi mx8 type 3 barrel for sale
perazzi type 3

perazzi type 3 forearm

perazzi type 3 vs type 4

what is the difference between type 2 3 and 4 perazzi forearm iron
wot is ment by type 3 & type 4 perazzi guns