1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi type 3 and 4 any value difference

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by copper, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copper

copper Member

I was wondering as to is there any big value difference between Type 3 and Type 4 Mirage I had started thinking of buying a new gun and looking at P guns I know little about them thanks Dave

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Are you truly looking at a Type 3 and not a type 2. Its difficult to tell. I have owned a number of Type 3 guns and believe that there is no real problem provided you keep the forearm screws tight.

Tom

3. copper

copper Member

Well just started to look , One gun was type 4 and presented as worth more than Type 3 I don,t want to be on wrong side of coin prices are all over the place. Dave

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

A type 4 is worth $500/$800 more than a type 3.. ++++++++++++

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

PBB is a little conservative, I'd say 20%.

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I think when you go to sell one you'll find its at least 20%.

7. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Copper,

The latest and greatest is always going to be worth more if and when you
    SELL...but they're also going to cost more when you BUY. The best thing
    that ever happened for the old TM1s is Perazzi bringing out the NEW models.
    People looked and asked why spend $9,000 for new when I can buy a nice vintage TM1 with custom wood for less than 1/3...

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

There are both type 3/3 type 3/4 and type 4/4 Perazzi's.. A type 3 receiver has the top lever release pin at 12 o'clock.. It is worth less
    than a type 4.. which is at 9 o'clock.. It can however have a type 4 forend.. which has the 2 allen head bolts in the rear of the iron.. and no wood screws to hold it to the metal.. It also has a replaceable catch bolt to adjust for forend wear... All type 4's receivers are type 4 forends.. Condition is everything.. As you get older and older Perazzi's.. you'll need to consider if they have been shot so much the hingepins are worn out..and if the water table is still straight.. While they all do the same job.. A nice clean MX-8 cat3/3 will bring under $4000.. while a similar gun.. still old.. but a cat4/4 will be closer to $5000.. As it approaches new.. figure $6,000 on up.. depending on wood etc.. Hope this helps..

I will say this.. Alot of crap is comming out of the woods now.. as well as some mint.. closet Queens.. When in doubt.. PLEASE.. bring it to a good Perazzi gunsmith to have a lookover.. Even if they charge you a few dollars.. This year at the GRAND.. I was happy to look over any Perazzi for free.. Most were fairly priced and properly represented.. A few were ready to be made into tin cans.. but represented as "starter" guns.. One had the water table so low.. it probably shot 80/20.. even though it looked entirely factory original.Then there are welded top levers that broke.. and a myrad of other problems one can encounter..

value.. even though we want to get a bargain.. must be a fair one.. Now.. a Perazzi that's built out of parts is usually worth less.. but better to have a properly fitted "parts" gun.. than a totally original worn out one..Assuming you bought it to shoot.. You can always contact me with questions.. or Dan at Giacomo's.. or many other great gunsmiths around the country for helpful advice.. All Good.. Mike

9. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Mike

What does "one had the water table so low " mean ?

ernie

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Mike my friend, you just opened a can of worms. :)

Now we are on the release pins, it happened years after type 4 forend, it does not impact the market much like the forend. This will further confuse people with the different inlets of the stock for the later receivers.

I was almost about to quit coming to TS, you pull me back in. :)

11. B.C.

B.C. Member

I guess its time for a Type 5 !

12. copper

copper Member

Thanks for all the info there is a lot to learn and know regards Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.