1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Type 1 forend questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ou.3200, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I see that forends on late production Perazzi over under shotguns are designated as a type IV. Are there problems with the earlier forend types? What would be the downside of purchasing a Perazzi with a type 1 forend? Are the type 1 forends generally reliable or are they prone to break down and expensive to repair?

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Type I forend/guns are rarely encountered these days, mostly old SC1 with flat receivers, there're barely over 1000 guns ever produced, it's repairable, but not worth of converting to type IV because of it's lower value.

The most encountered old Perazzis are with type III forend, which generally worth $1000 less than a comparable type IV forend gun. That's also pretty much what it'll cost to convert type III barrel to type IV with complete forend iron and wood. To update/convert type I & II involve complete new lugs at different locations, not cost effective.

The common "problem" if any, of the early forend is, it can crack the forearm wood if the screws are not properly set. But then again, the wood is repairable at very low cost, very rarely it'll spilt to the end if un-attented.

I have friends been shooting type III MX-8s for 30 years without "problems".

3. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply Steve. That helps as I am not familiar with the various Perazzi models.

4. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I had a 1968 T1 and shot it thousands and thousands of rounds - never a problem. At least half of the current residents here are T3's and I wouldn't even want to try to guess how may thousands of rounds have gone thru them - never a problem. I do however have a couple T4 forearms w/ cracks in them.

People make buying decisions based on totally irrational bases and thanks to them I have scored some totally primo guns at bargain prices. Thanks guys!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.