1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Triggers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Powerhouse, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Powerhouse

Powerhouse Member

Just a question. How does one tell the difference in Perazzi Triggers? What's the difference between a P-1 and P-4? Is there books or other information available to get to understand these things? How do you know what gun a trigger fits in?

2. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I have an early Type 3 MX-8 with two trigger groups, neither of which have matching Ser.#'s to the gun & both fit fine. I have swapped triggers with other guys with MX-8 style guns & they seem to fit also. Some shot the bottom barrel first, some the top, some had internal selectors, etc. but they seemed to fit. The only caution I've heard is that if you intend to shoot an early trigger in a Type 4 gun, it is advisable to have the webs cut out on the hammers to avoid firing pin damage. Hopefully some of the Perazzi gurus will jump in & clarify things or correct any erroneous statements I may have made. John

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The P4 trigger is a internal selectable type, the P1 I think is a adjustable length trigger type.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

All detachable triggers from O/U models interchange among these O/Us. All TM triggers interchange between TM1, TMS, TM1special, and TMX.

There's no designation of P1 trigger.

P4 trigger was the designation of external 4 position adjustable LOP trigger.

5. TOOLMAKER 251

Steve W, are you sure about the P4 trigger being a external selectable?

6. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Steve said ADJUSTABLE not selectable ...

7. TOOLMAKER 251

The reason I asked about the external selectable was because Steve described a persons Perazzi trigger on Fri. march 13th. 2009 as a P4 which was adjustable for length and had INTERNAL adjustment for selecting barrel firing order. Smith47, do you know which one is a P4? Some triggers had internal adjustment and others had external for choosing firing order.

8. Steve W

P4 designation is for the 4 position adjustable LOP feature only.

Selectable trigger can be just a selectable trigger, or add to a P4 trigger makes it selectable & adjustable.

This picture shows a P4 trigger with internal selector, but not all P4 trigger are selectable.

[​IMG]

9. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Steve: Great explanation and photo documentation. Rick ~~~Texas

10. TOOLMAKER 251

Thanks Steve for clarifying the features.

11. Steve W

Here's the subjected original text TOOLMAKER 251 was referring to:

[​IMG]

What I mean is "the P4 adj. feature" is a stand along feature, that's what P4 trigger is, 4 position adj. LOP. The internal selector is a separate feature with extra cost.

Maybe I should have put a (,) after the "internal selectable(,) P4...." to make it more clear.

I know I should have spent more time in class room than chasing girls in college.

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yah-ah... But tell us of the ones that you caught... eh?

13. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

How old does the trigger have to be, before you have to examine the hammer to tell whether or not its safe to use in a new MX gun? If there are old vs new style hammres out there, what do they look like?...Thanks,......Rob

14. Steve W

Rob, that's the bottom barrel hammer cut out issue, I'll show you the difference: old one left, new one right.

[​IMG]

15. pheasantsgalore

Steve W........thanks for the info and pics. Much appreciated.......Rob G.

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news.. but all Perazzi triggers do NOT just interchange.. Depending of the forend cocking hammer.. you can bend the cocking rod on a trigger if its to tight.. I saw many of these at the "GRAND'.. when people just put another trigger in a gun.. without taking into account the parts that sometimes do not fit.. Bend a cocking rod..and you'll understand.. If you simply remove the rod and measure it.. before bending it.. you'll save possible greef..

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Have to agree with Mike (P-B-B). These triggers are ditted and in many cases simply not a simple install ahd shoot item; hence serial numbers on their parts.

Steve W is an absolute terrific source on Perazzi guns. He has taught me much in reading his treads. I though I knew quite a bit about Perazzi's, but Steve's knowledge is unparalleled.

I am posting a picture of the "notched" bottom barrel firing pins Steve referred to above. Also, adding to what Steve spoke to about the pins, you "could" remove the small web area on the outside of the hammer on the bottom barrel (RH side). It is this web area that necessitated the use of the notched firing pins. The web area is not hardened, as is the face of the hammer. If one is careful and methodical in removing this web, you can use the new style bottom barrel firing pin.

Again, I bow to Steve's deep knowledge of the Perazzi products. Thanks, Steve.

[​IMG]

New Style Hammer shown below:

[​IMG]

Rendition of what an old style hammer would look like, and the area of the web to be removed below:

[​IMG]

Whiz White

18. pheasantsgalore

I understand, that is why triggers are serial numbered to the individual gun they were intended for, but is there really a serial number range one needs to watch for, or ask, before you simply buy another trigger from someone, and expect it to work, or let alone "fit" into your MX8 type gun, besides the "hammer" for the bottom barrel being correct? I just bought another trigger for a Perazzi, ser.# range of over 92,000, and it appears the hammers are new style, likely original, but when you fit into receiver, it is just a little "snug". Sounds like there is a lot more to it than just assuming that when you buy, or borrow another trigger, there are questions you must ask before you just "pop" another trigger into your gun, and walk up to the line. I understand the hammers are different, and very distinct on the "old" vs the "new". And firing pins are also very different in older P guns, than new. Is this other trigger I now have going to be an issue of any kind whatsoever? Like I said, it has the newer hammer, is just a little snug fitting into gun, and I plan on using it quite a lot. Appreciate the education from both Mike ( Perazzi Big Bore),.and Steve W. Thanks again,...........Rob

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

A snug trigger is not a bad thing.. Usually caused by over tightening the stock bolt.. Then.. there are also minor differences in manufacturing.. First.. I'd remove the stock.. and see if the trigger goes in and out easier.. Also.. the release can be hanging up.. Sometimes.. a swipe or two of a good stone is all that's required.. often.. nothing at all...

The biggest problem in swapping triggers.. other than the hammers and firing pins.. is the length of the cocking rods and or cocking shoes.. The shoes come in different lengths to adjust some of these trigger issues.. Anyone having a PFS knows about the problems they had..until the shooting public was educated about this..

I'm not telling anyone no to buy a used trigger.. Lord knows I've bought many over the year.. I went along..problem free until I had a problem.. Giacomo was kind enough to not yell to loud at me...and show me all the in's and out of properly fitting a trigger..

Bottom line is.. first feel how your gun closes...slowly with your original trigger.. Next.. remove your Known properly fitted trigger.. and insert your new trigger.. SLOWLY close.. if you feel anything different.. STOP and have a PRO look at it.. Remember.. new verses old hammer springs feel different.. You want to be sure the springs are all the same...

Hope this helps.. Remember.. at the GRAND.. if you can wait.. when we do the annual..its a simple matter to have Dan check and adjust your extra triggers.. The cost to fit is reasonable.. and free for the check up if its correct already.. All Good.. See you at the GRAND Mike

20. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

BTW..We're happy to upgrade the old hammers for you when we do your annual..or any other work that needs to be done.. Just allow enough time.. All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to tell perazzi p4 trigger is release
how to work on perazzi triggers
perazzi internal selectable trigger vs externally selectable
perazzi mx10 cocking rod adjusting

perazzi p4 trigger

perazzi shotgun triggers
perazzi tm1 with coil trigger reliability
trigger shoes for perazzi shotguns