1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Triggers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AEP, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AEP

AEP Member

I don't mean any disrespect to Perazzi guns or owners.

What is the difference between the leaf spring and coil spring trigger.

I know what they look like, but why would anyone want a leaf spring trigger. Those triggers seem to break alot.

Respectfully Submitted,
    Andy

2. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

The leaf spring triggers have a consistent spring tension thru their life right up to the point that they break. Coil springs gradually get softer and softer but generally don't break.

Perazzi spring breakage does occasionally happen, but not nearly as often as some would have you believe. It is very over-hyped on the internet. I have been shooting my gun since 2006 and had to replace one spring.

3. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Second that.... i've had mine since 05, and I think I've replaced 4 - three bottom and one top spring.

But I shoot in Anchorage, all winter long, at temps down to about 20 below zero, which I'm sure isn't good for them. I also average over 20k rounds a year.

And springs....are $20 each.

4. AEP

AEP Member

Thanks.

That makes sense.

I wonder how long a coil spring lasts before it starts slowing down or how often should they be replaced to keep it at top performance.

Andy

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Same can be said for mechanical vs. digital watches.

6. AEP

AEP Member

Hummmm

I've been told by Perazzi owners that the springs break every year to 1.5 years. This is from true, won't shoot enything else, Perazzi owners.

There are several models of Perazzi's. I seen one today - MX2000 Combo with a 34" unsingle, 31.5" double. I must admit it is a lot lighter than my Kolar.

Are there different models in the MX2000 line?

Andy

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

In theory, leaf spring has faster lock time if you test it on precision instruments. But in my level of shooting skill, I don't believe it'll make any difference. Some springs last 20,000 rounds, some only 2,000 it's the price you choose to pay if you insist on leaf spring.

It is also true, that coil springs lose it's tension over time, we change recoil spring & magazine spring in our semi auto pistol because of this, but not every one. And we almost never change our hammer spring in the same gun. why is that? because all hammer (main) springs are heavier than needed, very rarely (almost never) you see a factory hammer spring fail to fire.

4 time Olympic medalist Kim Rhode shot her coil spring MX-12 since she was 15, coil springs never slowed her down.

To answer your other question about MX-2000, yes, there're many other configurations in MX-2000. The MX-2000S is a non-detachable trigger model with coil springs. And coil spring is also a factory option on detachable triggers.

*** A side note, you can minimize stocking new Perazzi hammer springs in left & right sides by using universal hammer spring conversion from Marcello, his spring works on both sides with one year warranty, and the conversion is not permanent.

8. 3357

3357 Member

If I read the web site correctly Precision Gold Triggers offers a leaf spring conversion for Kolar guns.

9. mikepacific60

mikepacific60 Member

Also the leaf spring triggers are rebounding - ie, after firing the hammers don't actually rest on the firing pin (and the firing pin does not protrude from the breach face, even when uncocked). The same isn't the case for Perazzi coil spring triggers. In fact, when opening the top lever on a coil spring Perazzi, the camming of the top lever actually pulls the bottom barrel firing pin back. Mike.

10. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

I look at it a little different. Ease of use and very user friendly when you do break a spring. My daughter goes through a bottom spring every 1-1 1/2 years and a top sping every 2 1/2-3 years. That probably averaging 3-5 rounds a day 5 days a week with short breaks in between competitions.

You break a spring or a firing pin you're back in the saddle in minutes. It's like a honey badger.

Garry

11. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Giacomo told me years ago that if you relieve the spring tension (drop the hammers) on the leaf springs when you are through shooting or about to store the gun for a period of time, it will greatly prolong the life of the spring. I have shot various P-guns since 1974 and, knock on wood, I have never broken a spring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.