1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

????Perazzi Trigger Help - Please?????????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shotist, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotist

shotist Member

I have a new MX8 12 gauge and I am having problems dropping out the trigger. I have two triggers, one factory and one Precision Gold. BOth triggers are very hard to get to drop out. I am pushing on the safety button very firmly, but the triggers still do not want to drop out. Once they are out, they go back in very easily.

Is this normal for a new gun, or do I need a little fitting?

Thanks for the help,
    Michael Plaxco
    940-367-2463

2. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

i had the same problem on my mx2000.

while at the world shoot in san antonio i showed it to Lucio with Perazzi USA and he worked on the trigger with a file and it is fine now. he told me sometimes they just have to much spring to them (his words)

ernie

3. shotist

shotist Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have removed the Stock and Stock Bolt, and it didn't make any difference.

I also oiled it lightly and used compressed air to blow in into the Plunger Assembly. Still very (exteremly) hard to remove.

Any more thoughts......

Thanks again,
    Michael Plaxco

4. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Try your trigger in someone else's gun. If it goes in and out easily them you know where the problem lies.

I have found that not all Perazzi's are universal recipients and not all triggers are universal donors.

Make sure you are wearing a cloth glove for traction when you are pushing the safety forward. You may think it's all the way but some extra umph provided by a glove that doesn't slip usually works.

If that doesn't work look on the back of the trigger carefully and if it's too tight some bluing should be rubbed off. I made one of my recalcitrant triggers go in and out slickly by the judicious use of a rubber wheel on a Dremel tool by lightly polishing the areas that were binding.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Dear Mike

Both of my P-guns were very difficult to remove the trigger groups when I got them. I had to remove a coil from the trigger plate lock spring, #119. I also put a very thin shim under the safety spring, #116 on my type III Mirage. I used a small pin to block the safeties, since I only use My P-guns on the clay target field.

Remove the trigger plate lock cap, #122, and the spring. You can leave in the lock trigger plate #107. Hold the safety to the front while you install and remove the trigger group. If it gives little or no resistance, you know the operation mentioned above will do the trick. A little goes a long way on the spring, and a thick shim can cause your gun to lose its trigger.

When properly set, recoil will not cause the trigger to drop out. Tune so you can remove it easily, but with some effort.

Removing metal from the rear of the trigger can effect ejector timing. A tight fit here is not a bad thing.

6. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

Typical Perazzi junk. You won't have that problem with a Ljutic and I own both brands and use my Ljutic. MX-8 for sale.

7. Shooting Coach

Most guns have strengths and weaknesses. The Ljutic has mediocre chambering and extraction. The Perazzi loves attention.

It's hard to shoot Dubs with a Ljutic, and resale is horrendous, if you buy one new.

8. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I had some trigger fitting problems and fixed one myself by setting the trigger in a vice and using the smallest grit snadpaper to relieve just a little off (More like polishing) the rear of the trigger. I had a 2nd trigger I tried the same thing on and it did not work. While at the Grand I had Phillip Crenwelge fit it and he took off a little metal in front part of the trigger ( not the most forward part). I say this because I beleive it would be easy to mess up the trigger. I will have a gunsmith fit mine.

9. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

It's so inevitable it's laughable. No matter what problem arises with any particular brand of gun instead of offering help some jackass has the need to take the opportunity to bash that brand of gun. LMAO.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Michael gave us an important clue. The triggers go in easily, but come out with some difficulty. I suspect after a few times these will be a worn bright spot on the rear of the trigger housing. They might wear in after some time or very light polishing might be in order. I doubt that any files are needed. A trigger that is too tight is much better than one that is too loose.

Pat Ireland

11. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I agree with Pat. I had Giacomo fit a trigger for me and it still seemed to be too tight but It soon became easy to get in and out .

Charlie

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Sometimes with a new Perazzi, you almost have to stand on the Safety/Trigger Release. I have one that hurts my thumb if the trigger does not drop out in short order.

Once you get it out, look at a couple of things:

1. Observe any blue wear on the trigger housing where it meets the action.<BR>
    2. Slide the Safety/Release button back and forth and observe the #107 "Lock Trigger Plate". It could be rough (but I doubt it).

Most likely cause is not enough clearance in the housing-to-action in front or back, or the Lock Trigger Plate is rough or its coil spring is Superman.

Whiz

13. Hogsan

Hogsan Member

Have 2 MX 2000's and 1 MX 8. 2 Precision release and 2 Perazzi pull/pull triggers. The only one that gives me trouble is the MX 8 and only with one of the original pull/pull triggers and one of the Precisions. I believe the answer lies in the fit of the locking tube as described by Shooting Coach. Every thing else interchangeable without issue. Even in ATA I change triggers not springs. Broke only one spring during 2008 season with 10k registered + all the fun and practice. Keep the good stuff coming!

Jim

14. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

I think that it's a very tight fit in there and I know for a fact that with my gun if I can easily remove and replace the trigger group it will move while I pull the trigger. If I tighten it up to stay still when I pull the trigger I have a hard time getting it in and out. I'm not a gunsmith so maybe I'm not doing it right. It's the only shotgun I owned in my life that is so sensitive to the trigger housing fit. I might make a tomato stake out of it next spring. I hate it.Great patterns though.Mechanically.....Junk! IMHO I'm allowed to bash it because I own it!

15. Shooting Coach

Dear Duck Head

I am thinking of growing tomatoes next spring. I am in need of a tomato stick.

Can I have yours? LOL

Too much slop in the trigger plate/frame fit could cause ejector timing issues.

As one who has performed warranty repair and service on more than 25 brands of great (and not so great) firearms, I must say the Perazzi is the easiest one of them all to service and tune.

I ran a 200 straight with my MX-8 Trap gun today on the 16. When I first bought my Mirage Bunker Gun, I ran 300 with it on the 16. I have shot the Mirage well enough on Bunker to be Nationally ranked.

I have been shooting 51 years, and have had most types of quality tournament guns, including a $60K Krieghoff. I must say the Perazzis out shoot them all. The next best shooting tournament gun I own is my BROWNING 32"/34" Unsingle Combo.

With added recoil reducers for the balance I like, the Browning is portly, but superbly suited for ATA and NSSA chores with its two barrel sets. he O/U barrel set shoots high enough for ATA Dubs, but flat enough of American Skeet.

The Perazzi simply kills it for pure joy of shooting and handling, but the big Browning soaks up recoil from high speed handicap loads.

I have whittled my tournament guns down to three. The stodgy, reliable Browning, and the spoiled, "high maintenance" Italian Twins.

Several times a year, I totally clean and service the Browning. Once a year, it gets firing pins and mainsprings.

The Twins get torn down and cleaned quarterly, and get new firing pins and springs once a year. They have yet to break a mainspring. They have repair kits AND a spare trigger.

The Twins are worth the trouble. LOL

16. shotist

shotist Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I still have not been able to remove the trigger yet. I have tried with the Stock off and also with the hammers released.

I had also tried pushing extremly hard on the safety button without success.

How hard can I pull on the trigger guard without causing new problems?

Thanks to all who have offered suggesions.

Maybe this is why I used to drive a handgun :>)

Michael Plaxco

9940-367-2463

17. setter

setter Member

Michael,

This takes two people, one to push on the safety, the other runs a washcloth or suitable rag thru the trigger guard. It would help to place the gun in a padded vise. The rag usually provides the necessary leverage to remove a stubborn trigger.

Jim

P.S. You can pull on the trigger guard forcefully as a pin holds the trigger guard at the rear and its screwed in at the front.

18. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have a similar problem but the cause is because I have small hands and not a very strong grip.

Once I get the safety pushed all the way forward the trigger comes out very easily and goes back in o.k. also.

I have two trigger groups for my MX-8 and both come out just fine when I get the safety pushed all the way forward.

Neither acutally "drops out"--they have to be pulled out.

I do like my P gun very much!

Allen

19. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

Dear Shooting Coach,My MX-8 shoots great. I ran 130+ on a wobble trap one fine day ending up with 149x150 and won all the wobble trap leagues I shot with the thing. Even won a single barrel wobble league and had the only 25 straight. It is a fine shooting gun. Mechanically I don't like it. I've been a mechanic for 50 yrs tearing apart machinery, cars, hvac,worked in a meat packing plant fixing everything from the roof down to the sewers(even typewriters). I know a mechanical junk and a good machine when I see one.Why have a gun that you have to carry spare parts around with you to every shoot you go to? Do you carry a spare serpentine belt for you car? A spare camshaft? NO! These parts are as critical as the parts that commonly break on a Pizza gun.And don't get me started on German equipment! Flame on guys.....That guy from Yakima has all of you beat! God Bless you Al Ljutic.

20. shotist

shotist Member

Thanks for all the help. You guys are great!

Once I got the trigger out, it had a small wear spot on the right rear of the trigger. I used a fine stone and removed a little metal. After the third time, trigger comes out with just the right amount of force.

Thanks again.
    Michael Plaxco

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi mx 8 change from relese to pull trigers