1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi trigger group springs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ted K., Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I'm thinking of buying a new Perazzi. One of the options on current Perazzis relates to trigger group springs - I can choose either leaf (flat) or coil springs. I've heard that Perazzis break their flat springs fairly often, and that flat springs should be replaced in Perazzis about every 5,000 rounds. Does this mean that the smart choice is coil springs? If coil springs are so clearly superior to flat springs in terms of reliability, why does Perazzi continue to offer flat springs? Is there some advantage to flat springs that makes changing them out and taking the risk of their breaking worth the trouble? Is there any significant difference in lock times? What about ease of installation?

I should probably mention that I have examined trigger groups with both kind of springs, so I understand what they look like. But looking at the different types of trigger groups doesn't suggest (at least to me) that one type is inherently better than the other.

Ted K.

2. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Most Perazzi's O/U shotguns have leaf springs. I have had MX 8 for 30 yrs. and two or three bottom barrel springs. Most shooters who have spring problems do not install properly with proper tools. 30 yrs. ago I made my own installation
    tool. Have not used it often.
    I am not an expert. there are experts out there. Giacomo, New York
    Giacomo and staff hit all the big shoots, for many years.
    They know there Perazzi's, good workman.
    Spelling !!

Joe Woods/Ontario

3. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

Flat Spring trigger groups have rebounding hammers, Coil spring models don't as can be evidenced by the groove cut into the bottom barrell chamber rim,

Flat springs work properly right up until they break, Coil springs go flat over time and start missfiring until you have had a tit full of it and replace them.

Flat springs can be changed out in a matter of minutes, coils are somewhat like imflamed piles, a pain in the arse.

Some will say flat springs have faster lock times, i can't tell the difference

It's your call, I shoot flat springs, busted about 3 in about100,000 rounds

Argus Tuft

4. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

My experience is like Tuft's.I have guns with both and the coil spring trigger deteriorates over time.I think I've broken 3 flat springs in 20+ years.Use the tool to R&R and its a matter of minutes.

5. cob

cob TS Member

In my opinion flat springs are the way to go. They are way faster to change if one does break as well they generally don't change much until they break or crack. The flat springs do not need to be changed every 5000 rounds, they will vary though on how many rounds they will go before they break. We have had some go as few as 7500 rounds and some that go in excess of 50,000 rounds so that is why you should always carry extra flat springs so if one does break you can change at the trap instead of taking to a gunsmith if you had coils.

Jacob Jeffries, Precision Gold Triggers

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Flat spring has faster lock time, but I doubt it makes real meaningful differences in shotgun shooting.

Our 4 time Olympic medalist Kim Rhode use her MX-12 with coil springs since she was 14. She also won hundreds Int'l events with it, the coil springs didn't slow her down a bit.

Her famous MX-12 had way over 1 million rounds through it, Perazzi USA did less than a handful of "Preventative" spring changes for her. I don't see any short change by using coil springs.

However, because of this silly flat spring mystique, some people like to see flat springs in a MX-8, part of the reason is they like to have that factory spring kit to toy around. :)

7. cob

cob TS Member

True True Steve, I'm Sure that there are plenty of coil spring shooters out there that have never had a problem. It's really a matter of personal preference whatever the shooter is used to

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

The only concern I might have would be determining when the coil spring has become or is becoming fatigued. As Steve mentioned, it may be next to impossible to tell lock-time changes.

As a result, I would recommend that you chage the coils after x-many rounds shot. Not sure of the "x" number, but probably into the 10K-20K area.

Cheap fix to keep thing going along without a glitch.

The flat leaf-spring will tell you when to change it out - it breaks.

Whiz White

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is it true that German springs are better than Italian springs? HMB

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Well, not sure German springs are better, they put coil springs in their famous K-gun.

Italian flat springs from Beretta SO series and Fabbri rarely breaks.

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Are the Perazzi springs forged or cast?

Bob

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Anyone with ahlf a brain and a modicum of feel in their hands can tell when a Perazzi spring is getting weak. Get rid of it when you sense that thumb cocking of the hammer has become one of little tension. Taht goes for coil or flat. But do us all a favor, would you? And when you change out the flat springs throw the worn ones away and do not keep them as a "spare". Too many spares go back into the trigger and firing pin case and go down the road as new springs.

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have to disagree with MIA regarding "...anyone can feel... a spring is getting weak."

You can't always tell because the flat springs typically do not weaken, only the instant they break!

I do agree about throwing them away when changed.

Whiz

14. randy-s

randy-s Member

What are you referring to MIA? Thumb cocking of the hammer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1 million rounds perazzi
how to remove a tmx perazzi trigger
how to replace perazzi leaf trigger spring
perazzi leaf spring
perazzi leaf spring trigger group
perazzi mx2000 v springs v coil springs
perazzi trigger kit

perazzi trigger springs