1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

perazzi top lever

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dognduck, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dognduck

dognduck TS Member

im after some advice please .my perazzi has had some use the top lever is at 6 oclock .the gunsmith says its ok and no need do anything with it yet ,he told me to help it, take some of the pressure from it by leting my thumb gently let the lever back.but another shooter was told by a perazzi gunsmith never to do that as it will cause damage .any opinions will be great .thanks

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

If your lever is at 6 o'clock, it's time to get it replaced now, not later. Send it to Doug Braker, the Gun Dr. on this site. He will rebuild your locking block and get that lever back over to where it belongs for about $125.00. Doug did an excellent job on my DB-81 and his turn around time was exceptional. Shooting your gun with the lever where it is can lead to more serious wear damage to your gun than you want to get into. As far as your original question is concerned, Giacomo told me that the correct way to close a Perazzi is to hold the lever over, gently close the gun and then release the lever. Bottom line for you is your locking lug needs to be redone. Don't put it off.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. dognduck

dognduck TS Member

thanks for the info.i didnt realise .

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I'm not very familiar with Perazzi but if a Browning is closed as described it won't lock up tight. How are the two different?

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

There are two theories on how to release the top lever. I feel that you should let the top lever trip on it's own. This ensures that the gun locks up as tight as it can. Using the "soft touch" with the top lever never allows a tight lock up, and could lead to premature wear.

Others will feel the softer tripping of the top lever helps with unneccessary wear on the top lever.

So, I guess it's your option.

I do know, that in the past 25 years, I've reworked more than a hundred locking bolts, And the only time I've EVER seen a top lever problem (as when a top lever has broken), was when the locking bolt was worn to the point that the gun wanted to open while it was fired. Many times when the top lever approaches that 6:00 position, or even further to the left, this begins to happen.

A new top lever replacement is not cheap. Preventitive mainenence is.

Jack (MIA) mentions I file the locking bolt for a perfect fit. I don't file. On the older Perazzis, I recut the lug on the bbl's to a slightly lesser angle (8 degrees). This gives me a nice square, guarenteed flat surface to work with.

When I weld the locking bolt, I do not use an extremely hard welding rod. I like to see as close to possible of equal hardness of the bolt and the bbl lugs, with the bolt just slightly harder. When refitting the locking bolt, it is ground on a surface grinder and a sine plate (this is an ajustable "angle making" magnetic plate). Given the now machined and ground surfaces, a very close to 100% contact is made by the two parts.

Some will suggest replacing the locking bolt, because the rebuilt bolt is imferior. I've yet to see evidence of this. What is fact is that rebuilding the bolt is much more less expensive that a bolt replacement.

A new locking bolt comes oversized. Material needs to be removed from the top, bottom, and both sides. Then the angle needs to be added. A new Perazzi bolt is over $100. The fitting of the new bolt could run from $75 to $125. A rebuilt bolt $125. This is because no extra fitting is needed.

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

New Perazzi action locking bolts come in 10 sizes: 1 - 10mm in thicknesses, with 1 being the least.

These incremental sized bolts should make fitting almost a no-brainer. The old oversized botls took zillions of hours to properly fit. Rebuilding a bolt does take a fair amount of fitting, not in the slide area, but where the metal slopes to fit the barrel lug cuts.

They retail for $136.30.

Whiz

7. dognduck

dognduck TS Member

sorry to repeat myself but thanks for all the input .its appreciated.mechanical wise im useless.

8. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

You have an opinion from a real gunsmith in Mr. Braker. My opinion is that if the people who designed the gun wanted you to be "gentle" they would put those instructions in the owners manual. If you check out how the guns work, you will notice that the locking bolt will not release until everything is aligned. For an example of a different gun, the Ljutic Dynokic wants the gun operator to hold the locking bolt back manually. But this is in the instructions. I believe that many folks just keep on with the shotgun version of Urban Legends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi top lever position