1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Top Lever Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by deadeye45, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

I have a 1977 MX8. About every 5th shot the top lever finds it's way to center (actually just the right of) as a final resting place. This is while shooting and the gun has been opened too eject the empty. I either close it again whereby the lugs on the barrel ride over the extended 'action bolt' or move the lever to the right as normal and load/close for the next shot. unnerving as I know it should not do that. Does any one know why and what would a gunsmith do to repair? Thanks, Larry

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

There is a tiny spring and catch that's the "hold open" catch for the top lever .. the spring might be weak.. the plunger could be worn out.. or the hole could be wallowed out.. Not a job for the beginner.. Giacomo,Doug,Stu Wright,or Phillip would be the first 4 that comes to mind for the correct repair.. as well as our friend.. Whiz..

3. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

My 1973 MX-8 was doing the same thing & I sent it to Doug Braker. Not sure what exactly he had to do, but it works fine now. John

4. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Just hold the lever over when you open and close it like Perazzi says to do and it's not a problem.

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Usually two things will allow the top lever to not lock in the open position.

The spring loaded plunger is not moving as freely as it should because of rust and/or dirt in the plunger hole (of the top lever)

Or as PerazziBB mentioned, the counter-bored hole in the receiver has washed-out on the RH side. To correct this, it may involve machining the counter-bore and bushing it. Or sometimes, the end of the spring loaded plunger can be flattened and squared. Most of these plungers have their ends radiused. By removing the radius, the plunger can move deeper into the counter-bore and clear the washout area. A fix this way may last the lifetime of the gun if the washout isn't too bad.

Doug Braker

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Doug.. Have you ever considered changing the top plunger set up to a side lock setup as on the newer Perazzi's???? Two holes and a few parts..

7. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

Deadnlost. Several years ago I shot a Remington Model 32 and I dare say just as many moving parts as the MX8 series with respect to the ‘ action close ‘. At the time the general consenseous was to do just as you say, “ hold the lever over” . I became pretty deft at the procedure and never had a problem with a loose/worn fit. I recently acquired the Perazzi and had to have the stock lengthened. The gentleman chosen to do the job noticed that I was ' holding the lever over' . He said to not do that as it was not necessary. I plan to take your advise, hold the lever over. However it's obviously worn and when Phil Crenwelge shows up here (Spokane) in May I'll have him take a look. Where would I see what else Perazzi has written concerning care /operation / maintaninence? Thanks to you all, your advise very helpful. Larry

8. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Don't know where it is written but it came out of Giamcomo's mouth so I took it the same.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

In the older Perazzi's.. holding the top lever over is prudent.. but the newer ones with a different top lever hold open set up does not require it.. It will not hurt to do it.. just not needed..

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

If I'm reading this correctly, I have the parts you may require.

The older Perazzis had the plug shown below which would push pin #133 into the hole in the receiver at 12 o'clock where pin #132 resides. This held the lever in its open position. When closing, the back of the monoblock would press pin #132 back, which would press pin #133 back, and let the lever return to home. If the lever return spring (#5121 or 5130 in the older guns, or #121 in the newr guns) was good, then the lever would return home as designed.

The newer Perazzis have a similar pin, #135, (similar to #132) situated at 9 o'clock on the receiver face. When closing, the monoblock will press this pin back, and rotate link # 136 which in turn, releases the Action Block, thus allowing the Action Block lock the barrel in place, so to speak.

[​IMG]

Whiz White

11. whiz white

Which setup do you have. Both are relatively easy to install.

The older model may even be easier or harder if done incorrectly.

I can walk you thorugh either method.

Whiz

12. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Wizz,

I do not see pin #132 or #133 in the older style diagram. What is #5108?

I have an extra top lever I bought for my TMS and it has a small pin and spring that came with it. Is that normal? Mine is also the smaller diameter type. Is there a range in years made that tell if your gun takes the smaller diameter top lever? Thanks Ray

13. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

Hey Whiz,
    i inadvertantly 'deleted ' your pm to me. If you would send again. Since my gun is serial 49,6XX 1977 year, I would guess 'older'.
    thanks,
    Larry

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Note, the plunger is prone to self propulsion.... use the towel over method of removal to retain the plunger.....

I don't know how many times I've watched Giacomo simply close a gun letting the latch seat itself....

JC

15. whiz white

[​IMG]

In the photo above the 5108 is also denoted as a 132, and the 5109 is the 133.

Click my website URL above and download the TM1 and Detachable schematic. They are listed there.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi mx8 parts diagram

perazzi mx8 top lever removal

perazzi mx8 top lever spring

perazzi tm1 receiver will not close all the way

perazzi top lever issue

remove receiver perazzi mx8

remove top lever return receiver perazzi mx8

the action does not close top lever problem