1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Top Lever Positioning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OneShooter, Aug 27, 2013.

1. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

Hello, I was wondering on Perazzis (specifically MX14s & MX15s), is the top lever supposed to be a little off to the right or straight up?

Thanks,
    Ron

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Top levers on all over/unders should be right of center. If its at center, or left of center, its time for service.

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

New, they are at the wood and tang.

6 o'clock is getting pretty close to a mandatory Action Block (P/N 104) replacement. Whether it is at 6 o'clock or close, if the barrel does not pop open when shot, then you are fine for a while. Once the barrel starts opening after each shot, it's replacement time.

WW

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What Whiz says.

5. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

Thanks for the help!
    Ron

6. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Whiz,
    When a replacement on a Perazzi is in order, who do you recommend? Scott

7. Barry C. Roach

My 1976 vintage Mx8 came new with the top lever just slightly to the the right of center. Back then we didn't think so much about it. It took about 5years, shooting about 4500 targets in registered competition and maybe another 2000 targets in practice and league annually, for the gun to show some loosening when closed. The top lever was just barely left of the centerline at that time.

I had Giacomo put in a new locking lug. Once in the top lever was placed just inside of where the receiver meets the stock. That locking lug is still in the gun and the top lever has only moved about a 1/16th of an inch toward the centerline. Hard to beat that.

BTW. I'm a greaser. I have always used a very high grade of grease and always clean and regrease the lugs after the shooting day. The gun, after another 200,000 + rounds, the guns still tight.

8. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

So it can be a 16th or a 32nd off right and be fine? FYI, I'm close to the same way with cleaning shotguns.

9. Barry C. Roach

Depends. If the gun's not loose when closed you may be alright. Close your gun and grasp it right at the hinge. Shake it side to side and up and down. if you feel some looseness then it's past time to get a new locking lug.

10. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

And if I replace the locking lugs the top lever will go more towards the right then before, right?

11. rick979

rick979 Active Member

ONESHOOTER: Lugs are the protuberances on the barrel. The locking block is the right term.

12. Barry C. Roach

Ricks right. my bad.

13. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

Sorry on wrong terminology! Anyways, auto effect is when it opens by itself without any human interference after firing, right?

Search tags for this page

top lever right of center