1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi TMX Special Opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JohnR, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Normally shoot a Beretta 687 Un-single, was thinking of giving a top single a try for both 16 and handicap. Found a used Tmx Special and was wondering what the Perazzi experts thought of the gun. I don't know much about Perazzi's, Sellers description,

TMX Special - 34" with factory choke tubes, Countercoil recoil reduction system, adjustable comb, 14 5/8" Length of pull, slight blue wear, cased,asking price 3400.00,

What should I look for? Anything to watch for? No idea of how many rounds thru it, if it needed rebuild what would I be looking at?

Thanks for any input,
    John

2. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Just my 2 cents.

For $3400, it needs to be in good shape, have matching numbers, and the original adjustable trigger. Look at the firing pin hole and check to see if it is "egged out" or still pretty round. Egged out indicates it's had some rounds through it. The repair for this is a bushing that is machine-fitted in place, and returns the gun to pristine shape. Check all the usual "stuff," shoulders, galling, excessive wear, etc.

P-guns tend to lose some blue due to handling - judge for yourself what looks like normal wear.

I don't think the countercoil adds any value unless it is something you would personnaly spend $$ on to have installed.

If it has had barrel work, again, the value (plus or minus) depends on your personal preference.

These guns in particular seem to have increased in resale price lately - or that might just be my impression. I think folks recognize their value more so now with the introduction of the new TM-9 and 9X.

I know I would not part with my standard TMX - with pretty lousy wood but an untouched barrel - for much less than $3K.

Outstanding SBT gun. You will not be disappointed with how it swings and breaks targets.

Joe

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

They are a mystery. Put bullet in chamber, close gun, shoulder gun, call pull, smoke target.

Sounds allright to me.

4. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have appx.250,000 through mine, Giacomo has replace the bolt & top lever 3 times in twenty years. Along with egg shaped firing pin hole, top lever should be on the right side of the receiver tang and take off the forearm and check bolt lockup by trying to find looseness. The top lever and bolt will cost over $200. I still have good firing pin hole but Laib in Minn. has fixed a ton. I think you will like the balance better than the Beretta.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

A fairly flat shooting high rib top single. Designed to keep your head more upright as is it's cousin, the old DB81. Lot's of guys love them. Many would rather they shot higher. Me too. Other than that they're just a factory altered TM special, which was made by a CNC machine. If the original trigger mechanism is in it it will have an adjustable trigger ( forward and rearward.) Great gun if you can shoot it.

Price is average if all original, mechanically perfect and better than average wear for the age of the gun.

6. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Frank Little gun of choice but what did he know? I took his advice and still have mine a joy to shoot and points and balanced so well you will not shoot the Beretta much after adapting to the TMX IMHO. I sold my Beretta 2 years later and got a TM1 as a back up gun. They both have broken extractor issues after much shooting and they are expensive but if you convert them to just lift the empty they will last forever. Great gun thats why the TM9 is back.

7. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I am going to take a serious look at the gun. I figure if I buy it and can't learn to shoot it should be able to get most of my money back. Also thinking of offering 2900.00 and see what happens.

John

8. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

That would be a deal.

9. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Remove the barrel from the reciever and check for gulling. Be sure the trigger removes from the receiver easily with out much effort. Check for cracks where the wood mates to the metal. Be sure all the choke tubes screw in and out, with a wrench, and there is no cross threading. These in addition to those descibed above. A little gulling won't affect the gun. The parts can be replaced for the trigger group release if needed. Dry wood that has been attached tightly can swell if wetted and may cause cracking as with any other gun. Choke tubes may have been dropped causing thread problems. They are great guns but you'll probably want to raise the ajustable stock to aquire a figure eight or more sight picture. I'd remove the ejector rod to convert to extract only. Post-2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi tmx

perazzi tmx review

perazzi tmx reviews

perazzi tmx special for sale
perazzi tmx special reviews
perazzi tmx special trap
perazzi tmx trap gun for sale
tmx perazzi review