1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi TMS info wanted

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rocktire, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocktire

rocktire Member

I recently purchased a Perazzi TMS and am wondering what the difference is between it and the TM 1 or TMX. Can anyone give me any info on this gun? I think I picked it up at a reasonable price. Do any of you have one of these?

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Check your PM..... Dan

3. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

Pretty sure TMS has to do with the trigger being 'adjustable' LOP wise. TM1 does not have this and the TMX is a high rib version, same frame as TM1. All of them interchage drop triggers so you could have a TMS with a non adjustable trigger. from John Lippert's book, Serial number 3901 to 4873, 1976 gun.
    Hope this helps. deadeye45

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

All the TMS guns I have seen had a standard trigger, not one that had the adjustable LOP. The TM-1 Special had this features, as did the TMX Special.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

TMS has striped receiver and screw chokes. Wider forearm. Early TM-1. That's what I saw on a friend of mines. Roy

6. bas

bas Member

I believe the TMS has choke tubes. I had a Perazzi TMS many years ago and the only difference between it and the TM 1 was it came with choke tubes.

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Roy is correct. The TMS has polished "racing stripes" on the receiver, a very nice touch, and came with 4 screw in choke tubes. Trigger is a standard Perazzi TM-1 style, coil spring, trigger. As for the forend, I have seen them both ways, wide and standard TM-1, depending on how it came from the factory. It came with "TM-1" stamped on the upper left side of receiver frame and is basically a little fancier than the standard TM-1 was. To my knowledge, all TMS, TM-1, and TMX parts will interchange... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Not all TMS guns had the striped reciever.

I had one that was plain just like the TM1's.

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Rick..... Did your gun just have the choke tube option, or was it marked somewhere TMS? Dan

10. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Rickm, you are right. Not all are striprd. Mine was plain with TMS marked on upper left of receiver. Maybe MIA can answer your question, He has one. Bulge.

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I have a 1973 vintage TM-1 which the receiver is marked, and has factory tubes.

12. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Mine had the Perazzi chokes with the knurled end...not flush mount.

I can't remember for sure, but I really don't think it was marked TMS in the spot where the newer guns are. My TMX said that on the reciever.

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

That is correct Rick, the chokes have a straight knurl on the head and you have a special tool for installation and removal. The upper right hand receiver wall is marked on top TM1 you have to open the gun to see it. My MX-8 O/U has the same choke type in the bottom barrel.

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I would like to know if anyone knows how many TMS models were actually produced with the Striped receivers. I have been told they were only produced in 1974 and were a special run, but, I have nothing to substantiate this claim. I have been shooting for a good number of years and have seen more TM-1's than I can count, both regular, and specials. I can only remember seeing a very few of the TMS guns with the striped receivers. I always liked the gun, and finally found one that I'm having restored right now. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

15. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Toolmaker 251.... That is where my TMS is marked "TM-1" It is, indeed, on the right side as you look down the barrel. The choke tube system is the exact same choke tube system as the MX3C gun I once owned. Same choke tubes, wrench, and block of wood drilled for the tubes attached to the case..... Dan

16. rocktire

rocktire Member

thanks everyone for all the info. Sounds like there are several options. The main thing I wanted to know is if all the parts interchange and it sounds as if they do. The one I purchased does not have the stripes but does have 4 choke tubes and a monte carlo stock. The barrel is ported which was done aftermarket, also has an adjustable butt pad on it. I have a couple of gun books and neither show the TMS they show the TM1 and the TMX.

17. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I shoot a TMS and it has no striped reciever. It is a Winchester import. It has a drop out trigger with the faster V spring and choke tubes. Modifications are: Nickeled receiver, ported barrel, along with barrel work and a Soft Touch stock. Ray(ö¿ö)

18. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

TMS was an early designation for a tubed gun. But most of the rest of what you guys say is true too. But It just meant choke tubes in early guns

Dan. I'm looking fro my P-book, but I have rearranged my office and it is not at my side as it usually is.When I find it I'll see what I cna find out about the numbers. But I think your decision to refurb one is a solid choice for a somewhat collectible gun.

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'll quote the Karl Lippard book.

"TM1 1969 to present beginning wiht s/n 71

Also sold as a COMP 1 by Ithaca. A singel barrel trap gun. Made int the same grades as the O/U's. Early models made wiht V springs. TMS model denoted "Special" or P4 trigger group. Rib height 3.5mm"

Obviously, unless Lucio chimes in and tells us what the real story is this will all remain a mystery. I hve owned 4 or 5 "Specials" and they all were denoted as TM1 SPECIAL. They did have P4 triggers. But I do not recall anything like waht the Lippard book points out. The TMS guns that I have seen were either striped or had TMS on the receiver. But I could be conmingling my recollection of tMX guns. I ahve a TM1 Special now and I will report back what that says.

It would be intereesting to have rocktire comment on this. He may have a P4 "Special". Worth considerably more than a TMS form the 70's. The P4 Special is about a 1990 gun and later.

Here is a early TM1 Special. My SIL shoots this gun. Getting pretty good with it too. I'll check on the ser # or designation on the tope inside of the receiver. Too, it is a CT gun

[​IMG]

20. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

We just discussed this topic not long ago with PBigBore and few others on TS.com. I can't find the thread now, so I'll put it on again.

My friend Mr. Karl Lippard's famous book "PERAZZI SHOTGUNS" contained a few misinformed informations, TM was one of them.

Here's the list of all models of TM series, you may find most of these informations from what I wrote in the Blue Book:

a) TM1 was what the original TM series started. We all know what it looked like.

b) TMS is TM1 with factory choke tubes. "S" stands for "Strozzatori": "choke tubes" in Italian, the "i" makes it plural.

c) TM1 Special is TM1 with P4 trigger.

d) TMX is the later and last model of the TM series, with high rib.

e) TM10 is a TM1 with factory adjustable rib, very limited production.

The finish on the receiver has nothing to do with models.

Best regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
perazzi chokes for a tm 1 marked 6

perazzi tms

perazzi tms choke tubes
perazzi tms history
perazzi tms trapgun
perazzi tmx with stripes
perrazzi tms
tmx with adj trigger and choke tubes