1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi TM1 questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by victor6, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. victor6

victor6 TS Member

Howdy folks,

I'm considering picking up a nice used Perazzi TM1 ... great condition and unmolested by the previous owners.

A few questions -

1) Are there any spare parts I should keep on hand for it?

2) Is there an achilles heel to the TM1 design?

3) Is it durable (hundreds of thousands of rounds)?

4) Were there different triggers over the years? Coil spring? Leaf spring?

5) Was the enlarging of the firing pin hole a common problem? Was it limited to certain serial numbers?

Thanks and I appreciate the wisdom of this site!

Victor

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

1. If it has a leaf spring trigger keep a spare spring and installation tool.
    2. Achilles heel? Maybe. Unless you get your jollies ejecting spent hulls on to the ground or playing catch with them remove the ejector rod from the receiver so the ejector only extracts, otherwise, ejectors tend to break and they're expensive.
    3. It'll last longer than you will.
    4. Yes, and they interchange.
    5. I've never had the firing pin hole enlarge, but it will close or deform enough to break the firing pin as the receiver face becomes deformed by primer set-back. It takes a lot of shooting and is repairable.

Buz

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Victor. Unmolested are hard to find. Buy it before we do.

1)If it is a leaf spring model it is very old, unless it has had a conversion of sorts. And that is not likely. Keep a coil spring around and get or make a tool to repalce the srping every 5000 shots

2) they mostly shoot flat. And today trapshooters think high shooting guns pointed with figure 8 beads is the way to go. Easier to shoot a 60/40 gun than trying to convert to a 100% high gun

3) Uh... yes

4) Leaf springs were very early. Seldom seen in the TM1. Opt for the coil spring model

5) That will happen over time. If it does it can always be succesfully sleeved/repaired.

Shoot brass based hulls in the gun. The minor differences of steel primers and steel bases will indent your reciver more so than the slight give of the brass base and steel primer.

Beyond these basics, you would need to tell usp more about the gun. You call it "unmolested". Perhaps, but those are few and far between. Surely the gun is not original...?

4. JEB

JEB Active Member

While not exactly an achilles heel, the fore iron can be a source of trouble. They are too expensive to make, and have been known to crack. The repair is silver solder. If you can find a spare at a reasonable price, buy it.

JEB

5. victor6

victor6 TS Member

Thanks for the responses! The gun appears unmolested (except for the addition of an adjustable comb) ... it seems to have the original (plain) wood, unshortened stock, full fixed choke, no porting ...

I'll post pics once it arrives.

Thanks again!

Victor

6. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

That is a find!

RE ejector: There are two ways to alter your ejector so it extracts. One is to remove the ejector rod. Take off the stock and you will see the rod going through the receiver. It is staked in place, but a little tug will get it out. The draw back to this modification is that the ejector will only lift the shell about 1/8" and it can be hard to grab sometimes.

The second method is to cut a few coils off the ejector spring. This will weaken the spring and instead of rocketing the shell it will lift it. This method will lift the shell further than the other way, but is more work to accomplish. If you choose to do this, start with cutting 4 coils and see how it works. Then cut more if it's still too strong.

I put about 4,000 rounds through my TM1 and had no trouble with the ejector, but that's peanuts to a Trap gun.

7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

The leaf spring trigger to me is better as the pull is usually a bit lighter. Always take a spare trigger or at least a spring & tool with you. If you remove the buttstock the serial # should match the gun as should the fore-end wood/metal & trigger. You will have to replace the locking bolt periodically,but this won't happen until 20-30-40,000 rounds depending on the loads & amount of shot,pressures,etc. Don't slap the gun closed. Hold the top lever to the right,close the gun,release the lever & push to the left to seat.
    Of course this is what one should do with any O/U or S/S. Also don't open it & let the bbl drop down as you catch the empty.
    Pattern it. Some of the early guns shot very tight.

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Great info...and timely!...as I sit here awaiting UPS to arrive with the TM 1 recently posted on TS.com. Thanks for all who posted and Best Regards, Ed

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Actually, if it is a coil spring it is very old.

I bought a new TM1 at the Grand in 1974. It had a coil spring trigger.

WW

10. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Interesting...

I thought all the TM series guns came with coil springs, but could be "upgraded" to leaf springs.

Anyone know the truth to this question?

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I once owned a very early TM-1 that had a factory leaf spring assembly. My current TM-1 has a special coil spring thats much stronger than the Perazzi coils are. The pull weight is 22 ounces behind a titanium hammer, has been consistent at that weight for nearly 30 years!! It's the best pull trigger I have. I also shoot competition with both types of triggers, release and pull and there's no differences in my scores with either. I've shot hundred straights with both kinds.

Buy it and don't look back!!!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

used perazzi tm1

when did perazzi make the tm1 shot gun