1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Spring Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bigdogtx, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I noticed on the Perazzi website that the trigger groups have flat OR coil springs now. Do the coil springs eliminate the need to carry extra trigger springs? Will/are the coil springs be better than the flat springs?

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I guess it's really a matter of personal taste.

Some say that the leaf springs make for a faster lock time. I can't verify that as I don't have the equipment to do that test... maybe Neil Winston could.

WhI DO know is that the leafs break and then and there you know it needs replacing. My coil spring trigger I had years ago, never broke a coil, but the coils get weaker and weaker and then I tried to over compensate for *something* not realizing the coils was failing. I then changed the coil and things were back to normal.

The leafs are much easier, in my estimation, to change. I think it was HalfMile or HMB here who made a tool to change the coils and that looked like a pretty nice item to have, as they can be a PITA to change.

IMHO.

Whiz White

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Whiz, are the "leafs" the same as the "flats" or is this a different variation as well? Thx.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have used both, but have no experience with them in a MX style trigger. The coil spring change is a bit tricky the first time, but after that not much too it. You do need a custom tool that is nothing more than a slotted screwdriver with a nothc ground into it that contains the spring but fits over the spring guide. I have a pic of mine if you would like that. Somewherst. Adn just like any spring, they will break and that interupts yor shooting. Change your flat and coil springs once a year and you will not have failures. (usually) And carry a spare.

Lemme know if yo uwant to the the coil spring tool I made.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same principle I believe as a MX trigger. YOu lever the tool against the back of the hammer until the guide rod drops in place. Wear protective eye glasses. Put the trigger frame in a vise.

A word to Perazzi owners of all ages. If the spring (flat or coil) feels a bit weak, install new ones. My rule of thumb is once a year.

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You are correct; the "flat" springs are the leaf springs.

On a TM1 of years past, I drilled a VERY, VERY tiny hole near the rear of the coil spring rod, small enough that I could insert a stick pin through. I used to use lots of the stick pins when I was building R/C airplanes.

I drilled a couple of holes in a gun vice; on was just deep enough to hold the forward end of the rod, and the other hole was all the way through to let the rear of the rod slide through. I would then place the coil over the rod, insert them into the vice and slowly tighten things up. When I got to about where the small hole was, I used a tool, as MIA has so graciously shown for us, to slightly pry the coil ahead enought to insert the pin.

I would then remove it from the vice and after inserting it into the trigger, I wiggled out the pin. Not a fix for the field, but worked in the shop.

I got this idea from the Brownings or Winchesters that made use of this small hole.

JACK: Let's get that 700X cleaned up lol!

Whiz

7. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

I use a "Custom" tool purchased from Big Lots - Tack Puller. Ground
    both shoulders to provide enough room to work. The bend is perfect for
    changing coil springs - $1.
    Doyal

8. Barry

Barry Member

Generally a coil spring gives a slightly faster lock time, but they wear out over time getting soft and slow. They are harder to replace than a leaf spring. But they don't cost much.

The leaf spring is slightly slower than the coil spring, but the advantage is a leaf spring does not get soft or slow down over time. Eventually they break. They cost a lot more than a coil spring when you have to replace.

I use a coil spring in my TM and it is faster than the leaf springs in my MX Mirage. Given the choice I like coil springs. I change my coil springs about every 6 months and my leaf springs only when they break.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.