1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Skeet Gun Questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

I recently purchased a nice Perazzi MX2000 from Rich Bullard and I want to convert it to be used as a dedicate skeet gun. Can anyone give me any pointers as to the most appropriate barrel to match with the MX2000 receiver to be used for this purpose. Barrel length, ramp type, chokes, porting, weight and balance all seem to be issues to be taken into consideration and I am confused.
    Thanks for your help
    Doug
    PM, Email or phone 916-677-2030

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Doug the tendancy is to longer barrels. Are you going to shoot sub gauge or just 12 ga?

Any 30 0r longer barrel would be my choice and for skeet heavy barrels are a plus.
    Joe

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

If your MX has chokes then pretty much any combination works. Length and weight are a personal preference item and so is the flat vs high rib. If you have the adj comb, just lower it down to shoot flat and just have fun. I shot skeet with a 32" MX11 and it was great.

4. citadel

citadel Active Member

Thanks for the thoughts.

Doug

5. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Doug,

I would go with long barrels - 31.5". In skeet, you can't have too heavy of a barrel. As far as chokes are concerned, .000" to .008" in 12 gauge will break 100 straights all day long.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Depending on how much you shoot- my advice is the opposite- you will do much better with 28 inch barrels

Heavier barrels are a detractor

Now if you are going to shoot 1000 shells a week at skeet that might all be different

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. mag410

mag410 Active Member

If you are planning on shooting sub-gauge tubes, I would stick with 28"-30" barrels. There are more than a few folks shooting 32" barreled tubesets that would be better served with 28" sets. Longer-heavier barrels soak up more recoil, that is true, but they can get too long and too heavy. Over the course of a skeet tournament, the targets that make a difference are the ones where you make a mistake and you are able to correct the mistake in midstride. You can't make a gun that too heavy move with any degree of control. You have to lunge at the target and invariably you will over-correct. If at all possible I would try a few different length barrels before I bought.

If possible I would try to stay with the same rib height and style at the trap barrel, just for consistencies sake.

BTW I know of at least 2 Skeet World Championships won in the last few years with 28" barreled guns.

Michael Goines

8. fly

fly Active Member

Longer barrels and more muzzle weight, as Perazzi's tend to be a bit to quick for skeet for some. If you run away from the bird easy, try a clamp on barrel weight.

9. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

The first thing to look at is your build. If you are 5'8",160# & 70yrs old like me the 28" bbl is the best. If 6'4",250# & 35,the 32" bbls & a gun that weighs 11# is for you. I recently bought a 391 Parallel Trap with a 13 3/4" stock that is 7 3/4#. What a difference over my 8 1/2-9# trap guns. One thing for sure,get the lightest tubes you can. I shoot a bbl set because of the lighter wt. I have a K-80 with 32" small gauge bbls,I much prefer my K-32 with 28" bbls. I would stay with what you have at 29 1/2",maybe put in a set of choke tubes having it done by the tube maker. If you have fixed chokes,leave it alone & just put in a set of tubes & shoot 20 in place of the 12 ga. Cheaper & you are not altering the gun. The only place you really need a 12 ga in skeet is in shooting doubles & a lot of guys use an auto.

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

For an average guy, I'd stay with 29.5".

Kim Rhode won womens skeet in Olympics with 26" Perazzi.

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

why do you need new barrels?

I shoot a high rib MX-2000RS O/U at skeet, with Kolar tubes for the sub-gauge stuff, as do several of the guys I shoot with....

I'm no full time skeet shooter, but I average high B or A across all guages.

When I took Shima's class (well worth it, by the way), he took a look at my trapgun and commented that skeet was about to discover the high rib / high POI gun...his comment, word for word:

"skeet is about to figure out what trapshooters learned a long time ago...it doesn't make any sense to cover up what you're trying to hit"

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Kim is also smaller than my 9 year old nephew.

13. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

"Kim is also smaller than my 9 year old nephew."

Kim is not tall, but she is definitely not small, you haven't seen her for a few years, I guess. She doesn't look like that 17 year old girl who won the gold medal in Atlanta 16 years ago. :)

14. citadel

citadel Active Member

Wow, the world is full of good ideas and all of them informative and I am learning from everyones comments. I appreciate all the information. I have one MX2000 that is set up specifically for trap and want to set up this second one that I bought without a barrel from Rich Bullard specifically for skeet and subgauges.
    I will then sell my Beretta that I currently use for skeet and have one gun less in my inventory. The safe is getting hard to close.
    Thanks everyone.
    Doug

15. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

29.5 is an excellent choice. If you want it a bit longer, use extended choke tubes, then when you tube the barrel, your tubes will also be 1" longer. I am average size and shoot a K-80 with 30" + K-titanium chokes that are about 1" longer. Tubed that puts me at about 31" which is plenty long. Shorter skeet guns are out of fashion and therefore cheaper. 29.5" will hold its value better than a shorter one. Years ago I shot 26" just fine. I then went to 28". Now everyone wants 30". For what its worth. Good luck - I have a P gun with tula chokes and it hammers skeet targets. I don't even know the barrel length. Tubed it also and it is a great gun. Best chokes I have ever had.

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Keep the Beretta. You never know when you're going to need it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.