1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi SCIT recieiver question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mefizto, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mefizto

mefizto TS Member

Greetings all,

I am asking the questions below, because a search did not reveal a unanimous answer.

I have been offered a Perazzi, examination of which revealed a reciever marked SCIT, s/n 35,6xx. The reciever accepts a drop-out, leaf springed, non-selectable (bottom barrel first), trigger from MX8 and is mated to MX8 30 inch barrel.

It is my understanding that the receiver is not "true" MX8 receiver in that it preceded the MX8 shotgun. That raises the following questions:

1. Given the description of the receiver, does anybody know whether it is a "true" MX8 receiver? In other words, if the only difference between the SCIT receiver and the MX8 receiver is the nomenclature/terminology and not mechanical construction, I am not snob enough to care. However, if there are mechanical differences, will I have problems, if something goes wrong to find parts and have it (reasonably inexpensively) repaired?

2. As a corollary to the above, will any other barrels compatible with MX8 receiver fit without expensive fitting/modifications? In other words, if I find a skeet specific barrel, e.g., http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=265404. Please note the type 4 in the ad.

3. Are there any other issues concerns that I am overlooking?

In essence, I am trying to determine, if for a seemingly small amount of money I am not buying a big future problem.

If you do not know the answer, would you know anybody knowledgeable who can answer the questions above?

Kindest regards,

M

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

To answer you questions in a simple way:

1) It's an early type III trap model, only less than a hand full of parts are different from today's gun. The ones you'll likely need in the future are the same as current productions.

2) Basically all square monobloc O/U will fit your receiver, but the forend on your gun is an early type III originally. The MX-8 barrel is on it now are type III or type IV? I'll show you a picture of the differences.

3) The most common issue of the type III forend is cracking the wood if the screws got loose.

Here's how to determine if yours are type III or type IV:

[​IMG]

3. mefizto

mefizto TS Member

Dear Steve,

thank you for your clear answers. Only a few questions, mostly for clarification.

Regarding point 1, if I undestand correctly, referencing the receiver, since the gun is an "early type III model", it is a predecessor to a MX8 and should not be advertised as MX8. Is this correct?

Regarding point 2, considering that "all square monobloc O/U will fit your receiver" when I read reference to barrel as type II, this refers to a position of the lug for attaching the forend, and not the reciever, correct? Since you mentioned O/U, your statement does not apply to single barrels?

Regarding point 3, "common issue of the type III forend is cracking the wood if the screws got loose", but the attached figure shows the forend marked as IV having screws. Can you please clarify?

Kindest regards,

M

4. Steve W

Dear M,

1) SCIT was the model designation Perazzi used at the time, it's not MX-8.

2) Yes, type I, II, III, & IV only refer to forend, got nothing to do with receivers. Receiver went through it's own updates during totally different eras.

Square monobloc O/U was referring to the O/U monobloc, I didn't include single barrel on O/U monobloc because it's not that simple. It was rather late at night when I type your answers. My apology.

The early top single barrel has it's under lug positioned at a further forward location, the forearm from an O/U will not fit it.

Regardless type II or type III barrel you use, as long as it came with it's own matching (type) forearm, it'll work on your receiver. Perazzi made it's updates universal, so you don't have to buy a new gun every time they made improvements.

3) Type III is an updated version of the type II, Type III forend also has two screws inside the forearm, not the ones showing in type IV' iron end. Chances of cracking the forearm wood increases when those screws got loose.

When I get back to my main computer, I can post picture of the inside of type III forearm if you can't find what I'm referring to.

Seems the subject gun is a early type III with earlier type II barrel /forarm on it. There's nothing wrong with the combination, as long as it's priced accordingly.

I'd like to see a picture of it, if you don't mind.

Regards,

Steve

5. mefizto

mefizto TS Member

Dear Steve,

once again, thank you very much for your patience.

Regarding 2, the only issue with a single barrel would be the lug for the forearem correct? Can it be re-positioned by a competent smith or does it require a separate frontend?

I belive that you have posted picture of type III forearm on another thread, I will try to find it.

The barrel mated to the receiver is marked MX8 impored by Ithaca. I will try to take pictures of the gun this weekend, but since I still live in the stone age, I have only a phone camera. Is there something in particualr that you would like to see?

The gun appears mechanically in perfect condition, i.e., the top lever, with the gun closed, is about 20deg right of center, no play in the forearm, the barrels do not move side to side when the gun is closed, the barrel bores are scratch free. What do you consider a reasonable price for such combination?

Kindest regards,

M

6. Steve W

After lunch, we'll continue....

7. Steve W

You're very welcome. Now, here's couple things I didn't made it clear enough in my reply, I was typing it between phone calls.

1) SCIT was a trap version of the SC guns, it doesn't have the seashell sculpted receiver like MX-8, it's more like the later Granditalia except it has detachable trigger like MX-8. Maybe the much newer MX-11 would be a even closer match.

2) Yes, the under lug position can be moved. By someone who knows how to do it.

Here's a picture of the under lugs in different locations. With their matching forearms.

[​IMG]

And here's an early type III top single barrel's lug been moved back to use the O/U forearm. It covered some of the barrel markings.

[​IMG]

There're some rough and inexpensive method to tighten a gun or move top lever to the right, as long as they are properly fitted, they worked.

It's hard to value a gun without seeing it, or at least some pictures.

If the seller is a TS member, I'd rather you PM me about value questions.

Have fun with the camera. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ithaca perazzi scit

perazzi scit

perazzi scit for sale