1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi release trigger question ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tom Strunk, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I have been shooting a K-80 Trap Special for the past few years, and a Super-X before that. Both had coil springs for the hammers. I have also, many years ago, shot Perazzi's with release triggers. I have owned four Perazzi's, two TM-1's, a MX-8 combo, and a MX-7 combo.

I have retired for a short while from shooting, so I sold my K-80. But I have decided that I want to shoot again, so I shot my Super-X at the Spring Grand and the Utah State shoot. I have no parts for my Super-X any more and have decided to buy a Perazzi TMX, a shotgun that I always liked.

Now you have some background on my previous trap shotguns. I have purchased a TMX and it will be here next week. I have a slot reserved with Phil Simms's for a ProSoft stock and matching forearm to be made.

As I have not shot a Perazzi for a long time I am suprised to see most of the release triggers made for them are leaf springs and not coil springs. My question is are most of the Perazzi release triggers used with leaf springs ?
    I have felt that coil springs were more reliable, as I check mine often and release all tension before putting the gun away. I have seen quite a few Perazzi owners replacing their leaf springs over the years.

If I go to leaf springs,are there any specific brands that hold up better than others or should I just replace them after so many rounds fired ? My buddy Gene Hapney uses springs from a specialty manufacturer in Italy that he likes alot, any comments would be helpful, thanks.

I will be using either a Allor or Precision gold trigger. Kerry Allor did a super job on my past K-80.

Tom Strunk

2. G550

G550 TS Member

Tom,

I have a TMX (pull trigger). The Perazzi trigger is coil spring. However, I have a Precision Gold trigger with leaf spring. I much prefer and have had no problems with the Precision Gold trigger. Haven't broken the original supplied spring yet. I have no experience with release triggers.

RCH

3. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

My TMX has a coil spring trigger assembly and the release was done by Skeet's Gun Shop in Tahlequah, OK. Works great.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Tom, I have been shooting my TMX since I bought it used in 1987. I got a Release trigger for it in 1990. Most TM guns TM1 TMX had coil spring triggers. I have a coil spring release but I bought an older McDaniels leaf spring release trigger at the Grand in 2008. The leaf springs do break but are easily replaced with the same leaf spring as the Top barrel for an MX Perazzi. The coils eventually get weaker but still last a long time and do not break.

vhntr1 thanked this.
  5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Tom, here's what Barry R. said concerning his new style leaf springs. I think Barry got his sometime after I installed mine.

"From: Barry C. Roach
    Email:
    Date: Sat, Jun 02, 2012 - 04:38 AM ET
    Website Address:

Almost every Perazzi flat spring that I've had fail broke or ripped near the perpendicular peg attached near the "hairpin" of the spring. That makes the spring easy to replace but it certainly is a natural weak link in the design.

About two years ago i decided to try some of Marcello's flat springs with an independent pin that fits ridgidly to the trigger frame. Once the pin is in place the new type springs slide over the pin then you compress them under the hammer cradle the same as usual. There is no separate left and right spring. One spring will fit either side and that's only one advantage of the system.

Since the pin stays very ridgid there's no "wallowing" where the old style spring's peg fitted in the hole. The spring fits over the permanent pin precisely. I predict that this more precisely engineered and machined system will become the standard, eventually. Further, I think these new springs will last far longer than the old design. This is due to the fact that the new spring has no peg attached to it and then loosely riding in the frame hole where it can bind. Also, the new spring rides freely on the permanent pin further lessening, significantly, stress on both pin and spring.

Since using these springs none have broken nor have my trigger pulls changed. Nothing scientific but encouraging none-the-less. I think this new spring system is much better than both coil and the old flat springs. More time and rounds will tell us more.

Somebody might want to tell Ms. Rhode that there is a better way. Perazzi wont like it though, because they don't make 'em."

Hap

6. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Hap, Would I have to send the trigger to Marcello to fit the rigid independent
    pin to the trigger frame or is this something that can be done easily?
    Thanks, Gary Owen

7. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

How about some photos?

Jim C

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'll take some photos of mine and get them posted asap guys.

Hap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Isn't the best of pictures but you can get the idea of how the addition of the pin stabilises the rear of the leaf springs. I've used these for about two years and I like them a lot, numbers haven't changed either!!

Hap

9. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

The noise about the different spring types is always the same. Leaf blablabla, coil blablabla.

For a shotgun the minuscule difference in lock times, if any, is below the level of discernment or concern.

In the past 20yr or so I have not broken leaf spring. I did replace them in a 1971 gun but not for any reason other than to do it. I have coil spring guns w/ tens of thousands of rounds thru them. I have no idea what it will take for one of them to "get weak", WTF that may be. And that is w/ releases too FWIW

I'm sure Ms. Rhode would be using something different if it was of any consequence.

Worry about something important.

10. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

My Uncle is shooting a Perazzi MX2005 with the leaf springs. My understanding is they do fail on occasion so he keeps spares with him and it takes almost no time to change them out. They are very fast and don't seem to weaken like a coil spring does over time. They tend to be fast until they crack at the pivot point mentioned then you'll notice a significant delay in your trigger response. Normally the spring will only function a few more times and then fail completely. Looks like a pretty good design, just keep a couple spares in your case.

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Here're the two springs Hap was talking about.

[​IMG]

Note: Marcello's spring came with one year warranty.

12. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I would like to thank all that responded to my question. I have learned that the TMX comes with coil springs but the leaf spring is the most common.
    I have been sent by a friend, a precision gold trigger to try. Also I will call Kerry Allor Monday and have him send me one of his triggers. I will make up my own mind as what to use and keep the other trigger for a backup.

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi release trigger

who makes the best release triggers for perazzi shotguns

whoak best perazzi release triggers