1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HDLLLIII, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

I have seen several pics of older Perazzi's and it appears the face of the breech is an area of concern for "wear". I have never owned a P-gun but have heard great accolades from P-gun users. Do the newer P-guns exhibit the same "wear" as the older guns? I have a early Browning GTI that I shot until it would not stay locked upon firing. the lever was so far left of center you could read the serial number. Cost 125.00 to have rebuilt by the now retired Leonard Moore. This Browning did not exhibit the "wear" on the breech face, or firing pin opening that a good number of TM1"s have shown. For the last few years I have shot a 682X without this type of "wear". Bob Schultz has a nice looking TM1 for sale curerently that has had an insert installed for the firing pin opening What's the deal?...Larry Lockhart

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My TMX showed the wear when I bought it used in 1987 5 years old. I shot it that way until 2008 when I had a gunsmith repair the breech face by welding. A few of the factory TM1s had that BT99 style bushing but Pat Laib does that repair also. I think my gun got damaged with early 80's primers made in Finland but I dunno. It stayed about the same for 20 years and I shot a lot of shells through it.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

My Mx8, a 1976 vintage, has over 200,000 rounds through it. I have had a habit of greasing the face around the firing pin holes since the gun was new. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but there is just a bit of "shine" around the holes and no eyeball detectable wear.

I've seen several worn so badly the primer sticks in the worn depression around the firing pin hole(s) that the gun wont open without some coaxing. I'm going to keep greasing mine.

4. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

I did not know if it was a corrosive primer, metallurgy in the TM1 or what. I am considering buying a P-gun, and was curious why the deterioration seemed more prevelant on the breech face than other "high end" guns. Thanks...Larry Lockhart

5. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Have one purchased in 2000 with 150,000 rounds and still looks good. Have one purchased in 2007 with 50,000 rounds and looks worn. Same components over the years. Will give Kolar a look next purchase if the wear on the newer one continues to disappoint.

Regards

W&W

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The problem isn't so much that the firing pin holes get larger, but instead get smaller.

As the steel cap of the primer expands back during a shot, it begins to peen a ring around the firing pin holes. This leads the holes to swedge shut and trapping the firing....sometimes preventing it from reaching the primer, sometimes causing it to continue contacting the primer, making it hard to open the gun.

A quick fix to the tightened holes is to enlarge them will a drill bit. This of course is correcting a symptom, not the problem. Eventually, from the peening and drilling, a small chunk will fall out from the firing pin hole.

I don't know if there is a difference between the old receivers and the new. I would be willing to bet that both the older TM-1s and MX-8s were of the same steel, with the MX-8s getting the chemical case hardening. The case hardening isn't all that thick so the softer steel beneath it will still move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.