1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TMX BOB, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMX BOB

TMX BOB Member

I am shooting a TMX Special and just changed the firing pin and return spring. I am having problems opening the gun. It happens sporadically. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bob

2. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Take the new pin and spring out and clean the hole. Lube it with Triflow when you put it back together. Push on the pin to make sure it is free and does not bind at full extension.
    And make sure you are pushing the top lever over far enough to lock it before you try to open the gun.

Charlie

3. setter

setter Member

Take the barrel off, check to see if the new firing pin may be protruding thru breech face with the gun uncocked (hammer down).

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I use the little and cheap eyelash brushes I buy at Sally Beauty Supply. Take the pin and spring out and shoot the hole with Gun Scrubber then scrub it out with the brush. Shoot it with the GS again, wipe off the pin and spring, relube the pin & spring and reassemble.

Make sure you don't have two springs in the hole. That'll make the pin bind too.

5. TMX BOB

TMX BOB Member

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will remove the firing pin and reclean and lubricate the hole. I was afraid to lubricate originally because of the lube attracting fouling from the shells.

Thanks Again, Bob

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Some of the firing pins are longer than others, and I have no clue why, but am thinking they should NOT be different.

The over-all length of a TM1 firing pins, according to factory specs I have is: 30.40mm, which converts to approximately: 1.197"

Whiz White

7. TMX BOB

TMX BOB Member

Notable Experts

I went ahead and took the gun apart. I recleaned the firing pin hole and lubricated the spring and firing pin. I inserted the firing pin and it does not bind or protrude out past the breach. I did notice with the trigger out it sticks out about 3/16th of an inch and you can push it by hand and it returns out to about 3/16th.
    If I install the trigger and the hammer is down it pushes the pin out the breach. I haven't tried firing it since I believe there is still an issue.

New questions, could the pin be too long?

Should I try another trigger to see if once I pull the trigger the hammer rests against the receiver pushing the pin out the breach?

I was going to remove the pin from my TM-1 to see if it any shorter but I haven't gotten around to that yet. I gave the broken pin to a machinist friend and I don't have access to compare them yet.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated, Thanks Bob

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

3/16" is a lot. More than enough to hang on your barrel when opening.

I don't think you have a hammer issue, most likely is the firing pin.

The quickest way to find out is check and measuring the length, using Whiz's factory spec.

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I just looked at my TMX and the firing pin is definitely inside the hole without sticking out. I always thought that the firing pin strikes the primer by inertia instead of actual contact from the hammer. Last September, Tony DeSimone replaced my firing pin and I vaguely remember some talk about old style versus new style but I really didn't pay that much attention.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have a TMX that was doing the same thing, cleaned it all out and it was fine ... If your firing pin is to long you will have a problem ... The trigger in mine is flush, not sticking out at all ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. decimamas 54

decimamas 54 Active Member

If you have the problem sporadically it can not be a too long firing pin otherwise you will have this problem all the time.
    If the firing pin sticks out 3/16" (4,76 mm) is too far because it should be about 3,36 mm and the hammer for safety reasons should never rest on the firing pin when it's not armed.
    Are you sure thar you have a TM firing pin and not a modified mx pin?
    Perazzi firin pins are made in two pieces and there is the possiblity even if the firing pin is new that the center piece is not been put on right so it will move back and foward making hard the opening of the gun.
    I hope this help you to resolve your problem but I'm 10000 km away from you and it's very hard to be a doctor without the patient
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. TMX BOB

TMX BOB Member

I just want to Thank you for your advise. I removed the firing pin from my TM-1 and compared it to the one installed in the TMX and it's identical. I also put an empty hull into the gun and appears to be ejecting it fine.

Thanks Again Bob Collins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.