1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sliverbulletexpress, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

The MX2000 and especially the RS combo's have always been my dream guns. I've always looked at them as right at the top of the Perazzi trap guns not counting the high grade guns but the "regular" guns.

I'm confused about the pricing I have noticed. I see the mx10 and mx15 and such with higher asking prices than the mx2000 on the used for sale ads. Not to mention the asking prices on MX8's!! This doesn't make sense to me. Are the 10-15's sellers being optimistic or do the mx2000's not sell well? Am I one of the few that lust for a mx2000 rs? Signed, dumbfounded.

2. Squeal

Squeal Member

I lust for a mx2000rs also

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Excluding wood.. engraving.. etc.. the MX2000 is at the top.. because it's the newest.. and has pretty engraving.. The MX2005 looks similar..but everyone knows that unless it has a high barrel..its made up..not factory.. With the MX2000.. just about everything is believeable.. A MX2000RS should cost more than a MX10RS by a few hundred dollars or more.. The beauty of the wood.. and what's been played with has much to do with the price..

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

PerazziBigBore's answer is a bit more technical than mine, but you are looking at anomalies. The MX2000 and the MX15 are simlar in design, buthe MX2000 should run a few hundred dollars more than the MX15.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Yea Jack.. I get long winded.. Personally.. the perception of a MX15 is a low cost MX10.. WHICH is wrong.. but I saw two at the GRAND for under $3500.. I've NEVER seen a MX2000 SBT for anything under $5000

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

dumbfounded, I think it is a lot of everything. Wishfull/hopefull thinking on pricing, fads, and just plain old misinformation.

The MX-15 is sold as an unsingle only. It has the same rib height as an MX-8 trap rib. Many believe you can make it into a combo by buying a set of MX-8 O/U barrels. That may work for you, or it may not.

An MX-2000 is an unsingle only, with a rib slightly higher than the MX-15 or MX-8 trap. If you insist on matching rib heights, you cannot easily make it into a combo. Even then you have to settle for a slight mismatch. For many, an MX-2000 is less desirable, for that reason.

The MX-10RS and MX-2000RS are identical unsingle/combo guns except for the engraving, better bluing and better wood on the 2000. It is the lowest adjustable ribbed (both barrels) true combo Perazzi makes.

The MX-10 is a top single/combo with adjustable ribs on both barrels. It is a true combo, and the rib height is slightly higher than the RS. It is a hard sell, because the preference today is for unsingle combos.

My first Perazzi was a used MX-15. I decided I really liked the look of the Nickel 2000 receiver, so I sold the MX-15 and bought a new MX-2000, except I had an MX-15 barrel fitted. I subsequently followed conventional wisdom and bought a set of 31.5 O/U barrels for it. Since I like all my barrels to hit the same POI with the same stock settings, that combination most definitely did not work for me.

I sold those barrels and bought a set of barrels off an MX-10RS combo. So now I effectively have an MX-2000RS 35/34 combo, and I like it very much.

I hope you realize your dream gun soon. Try shooting a couple variations before you make up your mind. I can tell you from experience it is expensive to realize you made a mistake, or change your mind after the fact. I did, several times, and I'm still not sure I have the perfect gun for me.

I shoot the unsingle better than the O/U, because the greater distance between the rib and the barrel lets me pick the bird up sooner. With my eye problems, that's a huge plus. So if I could wave a magic wand and change what I have into something else, it would be one of two things. If I decided I was okay with the RS combo, I'd change it to a 34/34 combo. What I really think would be the cat's meow would be an MX-2005 O/U with selectable trigger (no unsingle barrel). That would give me about as much distance between the rib and the top barrel as the RS does with the unsingle barrel. Good luck with your choice.

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

There're no reasons a MX-15 should sell for more than a MX-2000, MX-15 is an entry level gun (according to Perazzi). But people can ask for anything they want, once in a while an uninformed buyer will pay, buy not always.

MX-2000 is an expensive version of the standard grade MX-8, & MX-10. Two notches above the entry level models.

MX-2000 came in every configuration as MX-8 plus the unique MX-2000 unsingle (a promotional idea in the early 2000s), and the MX-2000RS is identical to MX-10RS, except the MX-2000 style engravings. It should worth approx. $800~1000 over the standard grade.

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

On another note.. the MX15 has flat sides.. easier to engrave.. and a little bit lighter than the MX-8/MX2000 with the curved rear part of the receiver.. It's also easier to make.. and thus..less costly.. All parts however.. interchange.. internally they are the same..

9. jhoward

jhoward Member

Rather than start a new thread, I'll toss this in here...

It seems that only the models with a top single barrel come with selective triggers. If that is true, could you get a receiver with a selective trigger and put an unsingle barrel on it?

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Yes, unsingle barrel can go on any MX-8 type receiver. Perazzi never made unsingle barrel with rounded monobloc.

Seletive trigger can be bought separately, or install a selector sold by Whiz White.

If you buy a MX-12 receiver, it came with non detachable trigger with build in selector.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi mx 15 how long have they been made

what are the grade levels on perazzi mx15 shotguns