1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by emm2, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emm2

emm2 Member

I am thinking about building a Perazzi for sporting clays. I don't have endless funds so what models are more economical but still have the same Perazzi quality? I don't know much about these guns but have shot a couple and they seem to move great. Thanks guys. Shane

2. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

If economical means least expensive, you're probably looking at an older Type 3 gun. Most of them are trap guns & would need some modifications to be serious sporting clays guns. A friend of mine took a Comp I & had Briley chokes tubes installed & had a stock made with a lower comb tooot sporting clays. It works fine for him but with the barrel work & custom wood, he probably has $4K or more in the gun. John

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

You might want to look at a MT-6

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Shane, look for an MT6. They are older style but were a choke tube model. On the used market they are about the cheapest available. Downside would be nondetachable trigger group. Can be found in the $2400 range.

5. MOP

MOP Active Member

The best buys I see are in the fixed trigger guns, MT6, MS80, Grand Italia. I have been shooting MS80's for a number of years. These guns are as good as anything Perazzi ever built. The MS80 was a more expensive gun than the MX8 when they were offered. In my opinion, you give up nothing with the fixed trigger guns other than speed of repair if something breaks, which is a rare occurence. If you buy any of these guns with fixed chokes, it is inexpensive to have the chokes relieved to whatever you want for sporting. Also, they offer the advantage for sporting of a barrel selector.

6. emm2

emm2 Member

How can you tell if these guns are in need of a rebuild, any tell tale signs?

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The 1970's Mirage was similar to the MX-8 but had a low rib, and with a #4 stock it would be relatively flat shooting. The trap version had 30" or 32" barrels. You might also find a skeet version of the Mirage with 27.5 inch barrels and a Schnabel forend.

The Comp 1 as mentioned also had a low rib and non detachable trigger, but was a high quality gun. The MT-6 has the advantage of coming with choke tubes,_

8. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

emm2, When I was in the market for an older Perazzi, I was cautioned about looking for galling where the forend iron contacts the face of the receiver & also for barrel work such as rechoking, backboring, porting,etc. that may have been done by a less than competent person. If possible, it's always better to have someone who knows Perazzi's check out the gun before you buy it. The gun I ended up with had several minor issues but I shot it for over 2 yrs. & then sent it to Doug Braker. He got it back in top shape for less than $500. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.