1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Question ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rad 53, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rad 53

rad 53 Member

Can anyone tell me what year Perazzi came out with the first choke tubes? Thanks, Donald.

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

3. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

In the MT-6, I believe. Right, Mike?

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

MT6 was the first regular production model that came with factory choke tubes in both barrels.

The gun Ennio Mattarelli used in the '68 Olympics has choke tube in the bottom barrel. Those choke tubes were not part of regular productions.

5. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I have a 1974 Mirage ( XXX 449xx )with the pre-Type1 (Type 0 ?)choke in the lower bbl.
    How early or late in the Type 0 run that may be I do not know. Several other Mirages here are choked too but they are all post-76 IIRC. But I'll check just fer grins.

Charlie

6. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

1966? Early in the production they would make anything you want. Guns were built on order. Ithaca/Perazzi sold a few "non-catalogued" guns with tubes. 1976(75?) MT-6 and Comp V(TMS) generally considered the first year when they became common.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Yes MT-6..after they finished the legal battle with Winchester..

8. rad 53

rad 53 Member

So,would it be possible a very early type 1 from 1966 could have Perazzi fitted chokes [knurled ends,top threads] or fitted later? Regards, Donald.

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

They were out in production as early as 1973.

10. Steve W

Charlie, could you be kind enough to post some pictures of your choke tubes? Thank you.

11. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I thought Winchester introduced them in the early seventies in the Comp-4, the ribbed receiver single barrel some call the TM-4

Surfer

12. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Donald, it's possible. I would have to see it in person. I've seen the pics. It could be a later rebarrel. The muzzle has a flare or bell mouth. Knurled top thread but the knurling is smaller diameter than MT6. I read somewhere that Daniele Perazzi felt it easier to obtain better patterns with non-tubed barrels. Easier to make also. This explains rarity. Then, as now, serious shooters were highly opinionated as to what was best. They would buy 2 or 3 barrel set with different chokes, length, weight. They purchased a Perazzi in the 60's or early 70's because they were serious. Then, as now, they bought the best.

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

It is possible the SBT guns had screw chokes a little earlier.. To fit a choketube to an O/U.. first had no sideribs.. Perazzi did not like the look of them.. and fitting the long taper to barrels that were flared to choketubes was even more expensive and time consuming.. Thus.. the MT-6 was the first O/U they built with choketubes in both barrels.. As CNC came into being..it became easier to get uniform barrel tapers and machine made sideribs that required very little fitting..Then the choketubes became popular..
    Stan Baker use to put the Winchester choke in many TM-1's.. but that was aftermarket.. I still think the year for production was still very close to 1976.. Even the top full/choketube bottom came after that.. I don't recall ever seeing a barrel earlier.. Most of those were in the early 80's..

Today.. a screw choke is a cost saving thing..as it's simply a press of the button on a CNC..rather than having a barrelman hand tune a fixed choke..

14. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Like I mentioned above the one I have is a '73. Just yesterday I acquired another bbl, a MX8, also a '73, with the same Type "0" tubes. If I have two example they just can't be all that rare. And the "new" bbl is a domestic market item (I presume) with no importer on it.

I'll get some comparison pix for you maybe tonite or sometime over the wkend.

Charlie

15. Steve W

Charlie, appreciated.

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I wonder if they are factory???????

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Working with Dan.. I've seen many GA1 O/U with choke in bottom barrel fitted to older MX-8's and Comp 1s.. Along with that come numbers.. I'd check the proofmark dates too..

18. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I spoke to Giacomo a few minutes ago.. According to him.. 1976 was the first year production of any choketubes in America.. There were a few prototypes done earlier.. but none left the factory..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.