1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Question... Type 3 to type 4 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ltctpu, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ltctpu

ltctpu Member

Thanks for the help in advance!! Here is the situation and questions I have.
    I started to put together a 34" MX-8 Sporter and I have a very nice type 4 back bored barrel in hand… but the MX-8 gun I thought I was acquiring did not work out as expected. So back to the search ....I have found a nice Ithaca type 3 MX-8 with a step rib barrel, hence the following Perazzi MX-8 Questions;

1. What does a type 3 to type 4 upgrade entail and approximate cost?
    2. Does the forearm (wood) have to be replaced or can it be satisfactorily modified?
    3. What the approximate value of a type 3 O/U 32" Step ribbed barrel in a unmolested condition 97% blue... worth on the used barrel market?
    4. I guess the bottom line at the bottom does it make more sense to convert a receiver and iron to a type 4 to accept a type 4 barrel or to modify the barrel to a type 3?

Regards
    Tom

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

It will cost you about $400 to have Giacomo fit the type 4 barrell to your type 3 gun. He will install a new hanger on the barrel and fit the whole thing. I have done this twice and found it the best way to go. Good type 3 barrels go for $1500- $2k. You should consider upgrading the top lever to Type 4 standards. This will cost you about $6-800 depending who does and and other work that needs to be done on the receiver.

Tom

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

To answer your 4 particular questions,

1) Upgrade from type 3 to type 4 require a new type 4 under lug & a new type 4 forend iron. Cost varies depend on who is doing it for you. but it's an expensive proposition. If someone build up the type 3 lug, make sure it's properly heat treated or it'll not last.

2) Forearm wood needs to replace, to modify a type 3 forearm wood to type 4 will cost more than buying a used type 4 wood, generally you can find one in the $100~200 range.

3) A used type 3, 32" barrel without the matching forend is approx. $1500, to find a matching type 3 forend is more difficult than finding a type 4.

4) You're correct. with your type 4 barrel, all you need is a type 4 forend to make it work on either old or new receiver. Type 4 refer to new forend changes in '77 only, receiver updates were not part of type 4 designation and it happened in much later years. I have a '81 type 4 gun with older top lever.

In addition to your questions, I'd like to add this comment, modify your type 4 barrel to type 3 will devalue your barrel by 25% if not more, and you'll have a much smaller resell market. You should value your financial lost and technical disadvantages vs. buying a type 4 forend.

Good luck.

4. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

I have a mx8 496XX, 1977 model. What would you think the type to be, 3 or 4?
    Would Tom's Barrel fit my gun?
    thanks in advance. Larry Bledsoe

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Larry, your gun is type 3 originally. Tom's barrel should work.

Check your forend, if it look like my type 4s to be sure.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

6. ltctpu

ltctpu Member

Thanks all for the info!!!! Now the search for some Type 4 forearm Iron I guess.

7. doc boc

doc boc Member

you probably should go directly to giacomo and buy a new or used type 4 four end. it has to be fitted to the reciever, the lug has to be moved and barrel reblued wnd new forend wood fitted. i dont know what the total cost is but if you find out let us know. doc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi type 3 barrel value

to have perazzi barrel fitted to reciever

used perazzi trap guns ithaca type 3