1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Quandry

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 3200, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3200

3200 TS Member

For the longest time I have my heart set on a Perazzi – a Mirage or MX-8, and once again be a Perazzi owner. Well that goal (Perazzi ownership) has been met . . . . to a certain extent. Over the weekend I picked up a Perazzi – a SC1. The question is what do I do with it?

First, some details. The gun as stated is a SC1. Ser # 311xx. Complete Cat/Type 1 gun. Numbers on the fore end wood, iron and receiver match. The stock is RH, no palm swell. I question whether it is original though. It’s a better piece of wood than the fore end and has a higher luster finish. Recoil pad is a Pachmayer Decelerator.

This is a very early SC1, prior to Ithaca, Winchester, or Perazzi USA. More than likely this gun was brought back from Italy by a service member, or international sales rep. The gun is in very, very good condition. The bluing is crisp and clean – no signs of wear around the receiver edges. Very minor indications of use around the safety and trigger group release. Wood has very few, very minor handling marks. Barrels are 30” and choked Mod (***) and Full (*). Chamber length marking is off to the side of the ejector for the top barrel. The breach face has hardly any indication that the gun had been shot. This gun had been stored for quite some time and previous owner took the ‘precaution’ to remove the trigger springs so they did not weaken, or take as set.

Back to my quandary. I understand that there might be interest a gun such this from a collector’s stand point. Do I try and find a collector, turn the gun over, and continue my quest for a Mirage or MX-8? Or do I open the chokes up, or have Briley screw-ups installed and use it? Fitting a Type 3 or 4 barrel and fore end might be out of the question.

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

News to me that early P guns are collectible.

3. 3200

3200 TS Member

"News to me that early P guns are collectible."

Just passing along info that I received from someone who's opinion I value.

4. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Mod and full are good for doubles, singles, handicap. I wouldn't put choke tubes in it or port it for that matter. If the stock doesn't fit you. find one that does and shoot it. It may be collectable. I dunno. Post some pictures of it. Todd

5. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

Hitapair - well, if you find some cheap early SHO's or DHO's, please let me know. As long as they aren't collectible, I'll probably snap up one or two of each.

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

DO NOT SEND IT FOR SCREW UPS..... I call them screw ups because thats what you did when you had them installed. This is a very early gun that appears to be in outstanding condition. With very little work you can have an outstanding gun. Giacomo can fit any barrel you want but unless there is something wrong with the one you have you don't need it. This is probably an Italian Trap gun. We call them Bunker guns. The patterns it throw are probably great so don't do anything stupid. If you want to shoot bunker, pigeons, ZZ etc. you have the perfect gun otherwise if you bought it right put it in your safe and use it for trading material on what you want. Don't Screw it UP!

TB

p.s. how much did you pay for it?

7. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Finding a nice mx-8 30in barrels and mint condition is a task , I have found very nice inventories of mosy any guns sought after at Jaquas fine guns Findlay Ohio 419 422 0912 ask ffor Neal Camile or Nic they are top notch people and will deal straightup with you and they take trades also .George has semi retired
    He and Camile used to run the Store , Now Nic has picked up management/For knowlege talk to Neal !!!!!!!!!

Pat Kelley

8. 3200

3200 TS Member

TBaber wrote

"p.s. how much did you pay for it?"

Let's just say, less than street price on a new Beretta 686 Onyx Pro.

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Drop me an email.... I am about to leave for National Championships in Keerville Texas so it might be a day or two before I get back to you. If you are interested I might make you an offer. It will save you the cost of the Screw Ups.

TB

10. 3200

3200 TS Member

P3AT wrote

"Jaqua would tell you that if it does not have the importer's mark on the barrel, that it is a gray market gun and worth considerably less than an Ithaca or Winchester."

I've often wondered where that mentality came from. In the case of Perazzi, why is it that Ithaca, Winchester, or Perazzi USA has to have had their 'hands' on it to make it worth something? The gun in question was made in 1966/67 - as I understand it, before any of the above gave a d*** about Italian guns. I'd hazard to guess, even today, that the quality of a Perazzi, whether imported by Ithaca, Winchester or Perazzi USA, is no different than the quality of the same Perazzi, where you to buy it in Italy (respective of the timeframe in which the importer was operating).

Back to the gun in-hand . . . . .

11. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I agree with those that say DON'T SCREW WITH IT. That is a very nice gun. To say it is "gray market" because it was not an Ithaca or Win. import is silly. I bought my first Perazzi from Daniel and Enno in Gardone in 1970. It is an SC-3 in perfect condition. Doesn't say "Winchester" or "Ithaca" anywhere on it. Someone thinks it is worth less??? That is just plain silly. There was a time when folks said if it said "Winchester" or "Ithaca" it was worth less. I will take all the early Perazzis I can find.
    You have a rare gun from the early Perazzi era. They were great guns. More hand work than the new ones by a mile. The M and F chokes are perfect for what it was made for (probably bunker and pigeons). It will shoot American ATA trap great. You may want a stock with a higher comb.
    I assume it has a flat rib? Does it have a tapered rib (wider at the back than the muzzle)?
    Again, please, please, don't screw with it. You will only make it less of what it is. PLEASE don't drill holes in the barrel. If you don't want it, sell it to someone who does. I own quit a few Perazzis, if you would like to discuss yours more privately, just write to me. My .02. Best Regards, Jake

12. 3200

3200 TS Member

P3AT wrote "3200, I agree with you, ask the "J" why an MX-2000 that came from Andrew Litt is worth $2500 less than a Perazzi USA gun."

I did - just a few minutes ago. The answer - because Perazzi USA is the supposed to be the sole importer in the US, and Perazzi USA will not warranty a gun that was not imported by them. Litt is apparently buying Perazzis for less than Perazzi USA, adding a minimal mark-up, and sending them out the door to those that want them. Bottom line is that because Perazzi USA did not get their percentage, they are labelling the guns as 'gray market'.

FWIW, the fact that I had a 'gray market' MT6 a few years ago (12 or so) bought from Chris Potter Guns in the UK (used), and never introduced to the US until I did so on a ATF Form 6, didn't stop Lucio at Perazzi in CA, from taking the gun, dovetailing the breach face, milling a new piece to fit, re-engraving and reblueing the affected areas, and returning it to me at now cost !!

It's a matter of the 'money trail.'

Now back to the gun in-hand. As I see it, and from the recommendations, I have three choices:

1) Keep and use the gun as is, or
    2) Find and fit Cat3 or 4 barrels (and hardware)that are choked more to my liking, or
    3) Resell the gun and use the proceeds to 'move up the ladder'.

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Inside the wood at the tang area (have to remove stock) the last 4 digits of the serial number should be stamped into the wood.

You should be able to discren if the wood is original to this gun. It's not a big deal if not, however.

Whiz

14. three dram

three dram TS Member

Interesting, I have a SC1 343xx all matching parts.
    highly engraved (rose pattern) signed by potelli ????,magnificent wood,(custom)
    it is a pigeon gun,I bought it in the early 70's from an Italian Pigeon shooter. Its been in my collection ,has not been shot in many years.
    I wish I could ,download a photo ,its magnificent.
    Giacomo told me years ago ,it was one of several hand made ,for a World Pigeon Championship By Perazzi.
    It is truly the tightest chokes I have every seen
    I would consider selling or trading to a collector
    three dram
    remove xx's to email

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

People have been toying with the value question but no one has ponied up

My "guess" is in the condition you describe - no fancy factory engraving- probably worth 1800-2000

now to change forearm lugs and iron would be an expensive proposition

If the gun were a factory engraved gun it might have collectors value but really I agree with those that got flamed and said no collectors value- not to say that it might not have in the future

Shoot it- modify it with briley or angleport choke tubes if you want

dont expect to get rich holding it

regards from Iowa

Gene

16. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Perazzi's purchant for cracking behind top tang leave no chioce but to replace earlier stocks,which Might I said might lead to think it has been shot some. Jon

17. Baber

Baber TS Member

Guys... I bought the gun from 3200. Its and interesting example of a early Perazzi Italian Bunker gun. All the numbers match and it is real tight as Its not been shot much. There is a small crack in the buttock just behind the trigger. This is typical of this vintage and the problem is easily corrected. I am glad he sold to me instead of screwing it up. I am a bunker shooter and the gun will be shot as it was intended.

TB

18. 3200

3200 TS Member

Folks, it was a pleasure to deal with TB. As a bunker shooter, with a bunker gun, I'm sure he'll appreciate the gun more that I could have. Moreover, it will remain intact, and in its original configuration. The proceeds will go to move up the ladder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.