1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi Quality (WOW)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shark1, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shark1

shark1 Member

I finally got a nice MX8, early Ithaca, 1969 production gun. Unaltered barrels, wood has a few dings, case color 95%, Action is real stiff. I can not wait to shoot it. I am sucker for older Perazzi. This MX8 has 32 in barrels. Am I the only guy who does not look at new guns for tournaments? I still will use my SC1T for registered shoots made in 1974. Is it me, or is the quality just better in older Perazzi. Having said that I still would buy a new Perazzi at the right price. What do you think older Perazzi or newer, and why?
    Michael Sharkey, DC

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Michael... I, too, am a sucker for older Perazzi guns. My current gun is a 1981 DB-81 Combo. It has 34"/32" barrels with 2 forends, one for each barrel. When compared to the newer DB-81 Specials, the quality in the older gun is obvious. The same is true of my TMS/TM1. These older Perazzi guns were built to last. I agree that I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a new Perazzi, if the price was right, but, given the choice, I would prefer an older gun... Just my personal opinion....... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. MOP

MOP Active Member

The older Perazzi's basically are hand fitted guns, and are higher quality. That being said, there have been improvements in the internals over the years, as well as the sturdier forend attacment in the Type 4 guns.

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

The older ones had a problem w/ the ribs coming loose that I have not witnessed on the newer ones.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

BeBop. You are a fool to denigrate Perazzi owners with that terse statemnt. Adn then add the other half of the shooters by suggesting that MECs are less than other loadrs. Go to thehead of the class.

6. romie

romie Active Member

I think perazzi is a work horse with great balance ect..What did you have to pay for it? I know a local guy that wants $4000. for his but it is well shot.I think 32 inch barrels.

7. shark1

shark1 Member

Romie 4k can be hard to place on a Perazzi because of the variables, combo, barrel work, after market engraving (good), upgraded wood, ect. As for the price I paid? Well lets say I can still pay my bills. (lol)
    Michael Sharkey, DC

8. KaboK80

KaboK80 TS Member

Wait till you shoot the over and unders for a few years a have the barrels separate! Then see for your self how well they stand behind their product.I was told by a factory gunsmith that if you shoot too much on a hot day the barrels can can separate due to the low melting temp solder they use when assembling the barrels together. Also told me that there were 3 sets of barrels sitting on the work bench with the same problem.I do not remember seeing anything in the owners manual or sales lit informing people that this is a very real posibility.Barrels should never separate like that period.If they do they should stand behind their product.Am I pissed off,yes I am.If you ask around you will find many people that have had the same problem.

Robert Malmstedt

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What do you shoot, Robert. How long?

10. sidelock

sidelock TS Member

My wifes MX-8 was the first one to come to the US. It was due at Ithaca as a demo but something happened along the way. It is still as nice (almost) as the day she got it but with just a few hundred thousand rounds through it. When Frank Little saw it at the grand he was hooked after she let him shoot it. He told her that he would have one as soon as possible.

She shot her way onto the all american team several times was the runner up preliminary handicap at the grand. Then she found the bunker and started shooting it. She ended up on the U.S. international team for ten years. Her last bunker shoot was in Caracas where she won the gold for the world championship. Does she like vintage perazzi's I'd say at least this one.

As for myself I have one of the nicest Galazzi engraved SHO's that I have seen and I have seen a few. Another favorite of mine was the 4 barrel mirage sets they produced in the early seventies my understanding there were fewer than 50.

John Mc

11. sidelock

sidelock TS Member

My wifes MX-8 was the first one to come to the US. It was due at Ithaca as a demo but something happened along the way. It is still as nice (almost) as the day she got it but with just a few hundred thousand rounds through it. When Frank Little saw it at the grand he was hooked after she let him shoot it. He told her that he would have one as soon as possible.

She shot her way onto the all american team several times was the runner up preliminary handicap at the grand. Then she found the bunker and started shooting it. She ended up on the U.S. international team for ten years. Her last bunker shoot was in Caracas where she won the gold for the world championship. Does she like vintage perazzi's I'd say at least this one.

As for myself I have one of the nicest Galazzi engraved SHO's that I have seen and I have seen a few. Another favorite of mine was the 4 barrel mirage sets they produced in the early seventies my understanding there were fewer than 50.

John Mc

12. sidelock

sidelock TS Member

John Mc

13. shark1

shark1 Member

First let me state that I have a ton of repect for you as a shooter and as a person, Robert Malmstedt. I have watched and learned from you, and you will continue to be a shooter I will watch, and learn from. I see you when you shoot at Milington MD, or in NJ. I am also aware that you shoot an older K80. I also own an older K80. Yes they are excellent guns. All guns have problems. I have never had my barrels separate, or rib come loose on a Perazzi O/U. If this happens I will send it to my gunsmith. I think we would agree that asking or complaining to a company that a 35-40 year old gun that broke would be a stretch. Robert I am wondering why you are personally pissed off? Is it over your own experience with Perazzi? Or is it for the reason that I personally enjoy shooting and collecting Perazzi guns? I do hope that you reply.
    Thank You,
    Michael Sharkey, DC

14. JACK

This is strictly a "my gun is better than your gun" kinda deal.

15. JACK

I got a kick out of your retort.. Thanks.

16. romie

romie Active Member

Shark
    I was just trying to establish a value of this guys based on yours since I don't know you from Adams house cat or even where you are from.I haven't found many on the internet to make this guy an offer.I'm thinking $2000 tops for the machine stamped sideplate in 80% condition.
    Monty

17. shark1

shark1 Member

Romie 2k seems a little low in my opinion, take it for that. I would guess around 2800-3200, if this is a newer model. Not to contradict myself but a new Perazzi will bring more on the market, (type 4 more than 3 or 2). If the gun is 80% I would guess it has been shot a good bit and will need work, as you stated in your first post. This an MX8? If it is a Comp1 than 2k is pretty close. Can you send pictures? to my e-mail. If you want to call me you can at (757) 787-3111 (office-clinic).
    Michael Sharkey, DC

18. KaboK80

KaboK80 TS Member

Mike,the gun is an MX5 that I bought new for my better half.It is about 8 years old.It does not have anywhere near the amount of rounds through it compared to my K-80.The barrels of a gun should never separate period.I don't care how old the gun is.There are still many old damascus barreled guns out there that are still in working condition,though we all know many of these have failed also.If you ask around I am sure you will run into some Perazzi users that have had the side ribs detatch and or have the barrels separate.The Perazzi gun smith told me he had 3 sets of barrels on his work bench with the same problem.So is it just me or is a problem with the manufacturing method? I also know another well known shooter and all american from our area that had this same problem shortly before I had my problem.This gun overall has been very reliable and low maintanence,but I consider this a mjor failure that should never have happened.I have a friend that had problem with a K-80 barrel and when he took it to Ottsville they gave him a new barrel no questions asked.Also that barrel was probly 30 years old.They stand behind their products.I will be in Millington this weekend and will be happy to tell you my conversation with Perazzi USA.

Respectfully,
    Robert Malmstedt

19. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Bob, your better half must have gotten a lemon, even Dieter makes them once in a while. Ask the German olympic trap shooting team how many of their Perazzi barrels or ribs seperated. I fixed a seperated rib a few hours ago for a TS.com member on a SKB top single. This is the 5th. shotgun barrel I resoldered since last Nov. from different MFG's

20. shark1

shark1 Member

Robert I will be in NJ this weekend. I do want to hear about Perazzi service because I understand it is not good. Thank god I have a good gunsmith who charges a fair price. I will be at Millington in Sept and we talk about Perazzi then. I can also tell you from first hand experience when I asked Perazzi USA if they would service my COMP1? The answer was NO too old and buy a new one. That was my last time dealing with Perazzi USA.
    Michael Sharkey, DC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
2015 demo van for perazzi shot guns

perazzi dc 20

perazzi dc20
perazzi dc3
perazzi made by ithaca
perazzi quality
perazzi quality downhill
perazzi quality problems