1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi - Please Explain the Differences

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Steve W, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

There're few changes since Ivo Fabbri & Daniele Perazzi went separate ways in '64, the action remained the same Boss-style on all boxlock guns.

Ennio Mattarelli won the first Gold in '64 Tokyo Olympics with a gun later known as Mirage. He needed a gun for the '68 Olympics in Mexico City, considering the high altitude and relatively thin atmosphere, Mattarelli designed a high rib, it was considered extraordinarily tall at it's time, to keep his line of sight away from the shimmer of the heat waves coming off the barrels. This gun became the famous MX-8, the standard and base of all modern production Perazzis.

Later, for marketing purpose, Perazzi came out with some plain side economical models starting MX-3, MX-5, MX-6, MX-7, and later MX-14, MX-15, MX-16. Except the early MX-3~7, which has rounded monobloc, the later MX-14, 15, & 16 are virtually the same gun as MX-8 with plain receivers.

MX-2000 were introduced in 2000 to add some flavor to the MX-8 for buyers who don't want to pay the price of SC3.

In Perazzi's relatively short history, it managed to made almost 200 models/configurations, it's very hard to put everything in one page, for current production models & configurations, the factory catalogue is the best source.

Good shooting.

Steve W.

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Skeet. The MX2000 in an unsingle is very similar to your K80 but with a tad more balance. And obviously that comment is arguable. But you may be feeling that. I will get a MX2000 up but these guns are similar

This is the MX10

[​IMG]

This is the MX15 and the TMX (disc0ntinued)

[​IMG]

I have owned several really good K80s and yet havae always felt that the bbl cover impeded my view thereby nullifyin gthe advangtage of the unsingle bbl/rib of the K80. I fyou compare the rib syles you can observe differences that may or may not affect your view of the target.

Perazzi guns seem to balance a bit different. I am not sure of the weight difference but the P gun seems a bit quicker in its original form. Contraptions change all that. I think a lot of any gun is the hand hold of the coontrl trigger hand. If that feels good the gun usually is in better control more quickly during your learing curve. But K80 guys will suggest that the K gun is better from those standpoints. My buddy "PREZ" of the MN big Dogs is in fact a big guy and shoot the K80 Trap Special really well. Compared to me and I prefer the weight and balance of the TM guns. They come in at under 9 lbs and most of the felt weight is in the bbl and stock. They balance at the hingepin as do most P guns.

I'll see wha telse I cna dig up for you.

3. JACK

Skeet. The TMX is again arguaabley one of the best SBT trap guns on the market. It has lite weight, a rib that allows for quicker target pickup, a pointibilty as good as any, and if you can find one in near original condition they are really fun guns to shoot. They do not wear you out. This one in about as good of conditon as you cna find. About 4 of this quality show up on the market each year.

[​IMG]

Most of these guns came in cast off and felt good to the average RH shooter right out of the box. Too, I might add that many a good release has been made for P guns and continues today.

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Perazzi O/U are broken down into fixed trigger.. drop trigger square bottom receiver round bottom receiver flat sides.. sculptured sides and early stripe sides.. Add to that a ton of model numbers.. more options..and letters to complicate the process.. If you get Karl Lippards book on Perazzi's.. its out of date.. but tons of useful information.. The barrels have as many or more variations..weights.. choke options.. and rib options..
    Do not confuse gun fit with guns.. The thinner stock of a Perazzi might feel alot better than the thicker stock of a K-80.. but pick up an older K-32 with the thin stock.. you might be in love again..

5. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Once you fit a gun to yourself and style of shooting, the amount invested is priceless! I did it all for less the $600 with my BPS Trap gun with a removed forcing cone, a .030 Comp-N-Choke, and "massaging" of the M/C comb! The low investment makes it even sweeter!

AndyH ;-)

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

skeet,
    I lusted after a K80 for years but didn't like the way they pointed as well as most P-guns. I thought the MX5, being a low rib bottom single, was the closest thing plus the convenience of drop out triggers.

It has worked out well for me. Good luck in your selection.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Sorry make that an MX15.

8. JACK

Barry. I would agree wiht you. MX15 is a great pointer and a practical gun for any of us. And currently a good value since most new shooters tend to see the higher rib guns as what they want.

9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

JGS,

Yes it is.

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
perazzi history
perazzi model differences

perazzi models explained

perazzi mx 5 review