1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi pad glued?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hivoltfl, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Did the search and could not find this but I am sure it's been hashed before, I have a MX-8 style stock with the original Perazzi pad that need replaced, is that sucker glued on? If so whats the best way to remove it?

Thanks, Rick

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Heat up the pad using hair dryer, pry open the edge, use thin blade knife wedge into the opening. Heat, slice, repeat.

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

'saw it off' with mono fishing line or dental floss.

really.

put the stock in a well-padded vise, get a blade and make a tiny gap 'twixt pad & wood at the toe and ... 'saw'.

Bob

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Perazzi glues their pad on with contact cement similar to Elmers solvent based contact cement.

You MUST score the edge where the black plastic meets the wood ALL THE WAY AROUND the butt-stock. Failure to do so, may find you pulling small bits/flakes of finish coat from the wood. Not a good thing.

I take a very flexible machinist's metal ruler, hold it darn steady in line with the mating of the black recoil pad's plastic and the wood, and scribe a line all the way around the stock. I then, carefully, scribe the pad on one of its flats on the side of the stock, deep enough to get through the poly finish on the wood/black plastic. I then eye-dropper in lacquer thinner at this point, and then insert the stock in a vice, with the vice (rubber jawed) grabbing the edge of the pad at the plack plastic. I rock the pad back-and-forth gentely, and continue eye-drop inmore lacqure thinner to disolve the contact cement.

Eventually, I get the pad off, then clean the contact glue off the wood with more lacquer thinner. I've never been good enough to get a pad off with a heat gun.

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I had pretty good luck with my wife's hair dryer, but remember to heat the pad, not the stock.

6. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Thank you gentlemen, I now have a project for tomorrow.

Rick

7. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Well that was pretty easy, I scored around the pad, thanks Whiz, cut off the rubber with mono, heated the hard plastic with my wife's hair drier and managed to get a small screw driver under the plastic that gave up pretty easy, cleaned off the dried glue residue and fit a new keck-eez.

Thanks again guys your help was greatly appreciated.

Rick

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered a Remington rifle pad that is apparently glued on. I just bought a new Model 700LSS, which was discontinued three years ago and was sitting in its box is my local gun shop for perhaps 10 years. The recoil pad is the hard rubber pad that Remington used to use and I bought a fitted Remington SuperCell pad to replace it (the rifle is a .338RUM, so a softer pad might be important). But I found the old pad is attached with both screws and, I guess, glue. I removed the screws and tried loosening the pad by hand but I can't as much as open a gap between it and the wood.

Any ideas?

Ed

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I wouldn't. Use screws or gun nutz.

10. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

Where can I get the wood inserts (gun nutz ?) that enable you to use a machine screw (8/32, I think ?) to secure the recoil pad to the stock?

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Donna Battenfield. Brownell's.

12. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Click on the above URL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to remove perazzi kickpad

pads for perazzi 2003

perazzi shotgun recoil pads