1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi OR Kemen ? and WHY

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gamba Man, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamba Man

Gamba Man Active Member

I'm in the market for a used Trap gun and I was thinking of Kemen. I've "heard" they have better metalurgy and wood than the Perazzi's. Kemen's seem to be difficult to find on the used market, and seem to be priced somewhat more, but it's what I seem to like. I currently use a Daytona Trap and I like it very much, but I want to move on.

What are your opinions on the Kemen guns, are they worth the search/money....thoughts please.

Cesare

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If you shoot the Gamba well and are not moving to change rib hight or barrel length. stay with it.
    Joe

3. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Kemen....nothing but a Perazzi knockoff. P gun for sure.

You can wear an Armani suit or you can go to JC Penny....your choice.

My apologies to the Kemen owners.

4. Gamba Man

Gamba Man Active Member

What are the most common repairs to Perazzi/Kemen,...I remember Perazzi's had a problems with ribs popping loose at one point in history.

Cesare

5. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Loose ribs are very rare these days. Haven't seen that in a long time. The only P gun problems I hear about is hammer springs breaking. They can be fixed virtually standing on the line with the supplied repair kit.(wife shoots P gun)

With P guns you have several options available to you. Want a top single, just buy a barrel. Unsingle ....buy a barrel. Hi-rib...change rib on unsingle, raise comb and adjust accordingly.

On barrel purchases, obviously some fitting may be necessary but the last 2 barrels I bought for the wifes gun locked right up.

Good luck.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Kemen is not superior in any way.

7. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Being a Gamba shooter you are aware of how many people can fix them and parts are hard to find and there are no importers.. Same with the Kemen.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Both fine guns. I do believe Perazzi's are one of the easiest and quickest to fix.

9. 3357

3357 Member

you will always be able to get parts for a perazzi

10. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

as others have said.....where do you get a Kemen fixed and look for parts? That's the biggest negative on shooting foreign guns with no U.S. support network, like a U.S. subsidiary or active parts network.

11. 3357

3357 Member

There are probabely enough new and good used perazzi parts laying around the United States to build more guns than Kemen ever imported to the U.S.

12. build4u

build4u Member

Kemen had demo guns at a sporting clays tournament about six years back that I tried and the felt recoil was not as good as My K-80. I had a 90-T and bought a used Perazzi MX2000RS 35" of this site about three years back and I love it. I do not shoot a lot of trap but when I do bring it out and shoot trap I tell my friends it is so forgiving I feel like I am cheating. Well balanced, excellent trigger, and lock time, and soft shooting.

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Kemen will be a resale value so low that you will be shocked at.

So why would you buy one if they arent as good and they lose all their value?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Guys remember our friend is From Canada! Their is no resale value for any guns up there anymore; besides you should buy the best gun that you can shoot and fits your budget. Almost all perazzi parts including the barrels will fit a kemen.

If you can work on a perazzi you can work on a kemen.

Joe

15. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

The Kemen looks and feels like a Perazzi and the dynamics are nearly the same for the same barrel length and rib height, but Kemen is a late comer and hasn't been able to gain market share to be considered a main stream gun.
    Perazzi on the other hand has been in the U.S. market for forty years giving it a distinct advantage over Kemen in terms of repair knowledge, parts and service. Almost any Smith is familiar with Perazzi's to effect repairs, but not so for Kemen.

Regarding metallurgy: All gun manufacturers approach materials making up their finnished product differently, some go with more tempered metals and others with softer, neither approach is wrong. Some parts of the gun are designed to be sacrificial to another (engineered wear) which allows for easier repairs.
    so don't get hung up on rockwell numbers.

Perazzi's number fail point are the leaf springs in their trigger group. If you can live with one hundreth of second slower hammer fall, you can opt for the coil spring trigger group and be 99.99% trouble free. Perazzi would be my choice for these reasons.

Surfer

16. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

How many kemens have you seen at a trapshoot. I have never seen one. Have seen a Kemen SxS at a SxS shoot. Talked with the guy he liked the guin but said he broke 2 firing pins in two years.

17. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I have seen 1 Keman and that was a sporting clays model, as Gene said the resale value is very little and just as hard unloading it.

18. Gamba Man

Gamba Man Active Member

So,..I was wondering,...if the resale value on a Kemen is that low, I should maybe opt for a Kemen and save some cash. I suppose any smith who could work on a Perazzi should be able to work on a Kemen and parts are interchangable (from what I understand),...is my logic wrong ?

Cesare

19. skeeter1956

skeeter1956 Member

there are a lot of kemens here in australia same as there are a lot of perazzi's, absolutley nothing wrong with the kemens. many of the better p'gun trap shooters run with kemen barrels, why ...i am not sure. go with either gun but you wouldn't be dissapointed in a kemen.

20. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

George Digweed shot Kemens for years before going to Perazzi...

just sayin...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
gamba vs kemen
george digweed kemen
kemen or perazzi
kemen shotguns usa

kemen trap

kemen trap guns
leaf springs for kemen shotguns
perazzi or kemen