1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi opening in the rain

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AAtrap, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I was shooting doubles in the rain last Sunday and my MX-14L would open on the second shot. Only did it when it was wet. Anyone else experienced this problem.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Happens to many break open guns. Water and oil or grease get really slick. Might need a new top lever return spring too.

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

New spring.. maybe reduce the angle of the locking bolt if it has wandered.. As long as the trailer is not moving.. and has a workbench.. any place is a good place to fix your shotgun.. It's more about the gunsmith and knowledge than how big is his shop or trailer..

4. JES

JES Member

I had the same thing happen in the rain. After I finished really cleaned and dried every part and re greased. It has not happened again. I think Barry had it right.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Barry does have it right.. but what about a field gun..?? A new top lever return spring is a must.. and should not even be part of the equasion.. Next is check the angle of the ears and locking bolt.. I'd bet one is drifting.

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I really believe it was as Barry mentioned. A combination of water and oil. The gun has not been shot that much and after I dried it out;it didn't do it again. Steve

7. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear AATrap,
    When your Perazzi opens in the rain....after shooting. It is time to test the locking bolt. I take the gun to the range and perform the following test. Load a round and look at the top lever while holding the gun crossways FIRMLY. Fire the round downrange and observe very closely the top lever. Repeat two more times in succession. THEN open the gun and spray water (old windex bottle full of tap water is great for this) ....light mist on the breech locking bolt with the gun open. Then repeat the firing test. If the top lever moves upon firing (wet mode)....you need a locking bolt fitted etc. My P-Gun needed one at 82,000. AFTER THE GUN HAS BEEN REPAIRED, repeat the wet test. Top lever should NOT MOVE!!! I see lots of gun problems when Mother Nature gets them wet! Let us know how your P-Gun reacts after this simple test.
    Respectfully submitted,............Jet Boat Bill

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

A jumpy top lever is the tell-tale sign the locking bolt is no longer holding the bbls shut. A prperly fitted locking bolt will do it's job even without a return spring.

Continuing to shoot the gun with the top lever moving invites a broken top lever. Repair it now...$135-$250, or pay $135-$250 plus a new top lever..$350 plus labor to fit.

Doug

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Listen to PBB. He knows a lot more about Pguns than I.

10. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Good chance you have a bad flinch also.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

A related question. Inconsistently when wet, my K-80 will partially open after shooting the second shot on doubles. The locking mechanism is directly exposed to the rain. Is this a problem that warrants attention?

Pat Ireland

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Lesson to the GunDr he is right. You need a new locking bolt. Your gun should work the same way wet or dry.

13. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Why shoot in the rain unless you are in a match?---SJB---

14. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

SJB, I was shooting the last event of a registered shoot. It's not the first time I've shot in the rain and it probably won't be the last. Steve

15. porky

porky TS Member

Pat,

Anytime the O/U locking mechanism allows any gun to partially open, it should have it's locking mechanism repaired. Any O/U gun that starts to open, wet or dry, you have a potential for a really life threating issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content

perazzi locking mechanism