1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi O/U Simultaneous Discharge!!!???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bluzman98, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

My advice is to take it to a competent Perazzi gunsmith (e.g. Giacomo)for inspection and repair if needed.

JMHO

Jim C

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Firing the top barrel without the hammer dropping is very strange!! The only possible way I can visualize that happening with two different trigger assys is a sticking firing pin and possibly a worn pin hole? The weight of a loaded round would move back with enough force to ignite the primer where it wouldn't with just the primed case? Still would need enough head space for the pin to protrude enough for that to take place too!! Let us know what you find out please?

Hap

3. Hap MecTweaks

Paul, if the pin moved forward when the bottom barrel fired, lodged/stuck in a worn hole, possibly recoil alone could cause the second firing with a full load and not fire the primed hull! I'd look for excess head space also.The only plausible explanation I can see!

Hap

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I think these new 2 piece firing pins can cause troubles we don't have with the one piece firing pins that are available.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Hard to believe firing pin inertia alone would fire second barrel. Pull the hammer and or cocking foot and get back to us.

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Paul,

First, I want to thank you for your knowledgeable and detailed report on the situation, it explained well for us to answer.

If top hammer was not dropped when this happened, I'd check firing pin return springs AND top firing pin.

Top barrel firing pin should be 1/8" shorter than the bottom pin, check if they are the same length, you might have a wrong pin in the top.

If indeed your top barrel has a longer (bottom) firing pin in it, the cut off live primed shell doesn't have enough mass to set it off under recoil, but a lead loaded live round will.

I'd appreciate if you could let us know what the results are.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Genuine Perazzi Firing Pins Specs:

BOTTOM: OL 1.259"<BR>
    TOP: OL 1.149"

WW

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

When installing new firing pins, ALWAYS install their coil springs. They are cheap, and all spring lose tension over use/time. It's a cheap part of preventative maintenance.

I am amaze at a small few of my customers who shoot $10,000+ Perazzi's, buy new firing pins, but are reluctant to spend around $10-$12 for springs. I don't argue, but I do highly recommend the above.

WW

9. Hap MecTweaks

Glad to hear you've solved your dilemma guy!! Like you, I too have seen the marking on the top primer in my P guns. Looks as though the carbon build-up in the receiver holes may have been the primary cause.

Just another reminder for me to keep my receiver cleaned better also!! Time too to have Marcello send me a couple hammer springs and his new firing pins!!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.